Borchard making push to overtake Gload

SSH2005

http://dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=167791

Borchard making push to overtake Gload

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Friday, March 17, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — Ross Gload is still leading the race for the reserve outfield job on the White Sox’ 25-man roster, but Joe Borchard is gaining ground.

Borchard, out of minor-league options and likely to be traded if his bid falls short, has 5 hits and 5 RBI in his last 10 at-bats, including a towering 3-run homer against the Oakland Athletics on Monday.

Overall, Borchard is batting .296 with 2 home runs and 7 RBI.

“Joe is still in the mix,’’ manager Ozzie Guillen said. “He keeps hitting the ball. If he keeps playing like that, he’s going to make it interesting.’’

The White Sox have patiently waited for Borchard to cut down on his strikeouts and harness his enormous power potential. That’s why they don’t want to move the former Stanford quarterback.

Borchard realizes he’s in a difficult situation.

“I know there might be some other opportunities out there if it doesn’t work out here,’’ Borchard said. “But this is where I want to be, and I’m just trying to take advantage of the opportunity here. There’s no sense worrying about anything else.’’

Career change: Boone Logan, who is positioned to make the jump from the low minor leagues to the White Sox’ bullpen thanks to 4¿ scoreless Cactus League innings, credits Advanced Rookie Great Falls pitching coach Curt Hasler for keeping him in professional baseball.

Following two shaky seasons at Great Falls, Hasler changed Logan’s delivery early last season.

“They had to do something pretty quick with me,’’ Logan said. “It was my third season in Rookie Ball and I was struggling. Hasler helped me, and it’s taken off from there.’’

At Hasler’s suggestion, Logan switched from throwing over the top to more from the side, a move that paid quick dividends.

“I’m throwing strikes now and my velocity went up, which usually doesn’t happen when you drop down,’’ Logan said.

Logan’s fastball reaches 93 mph. He also throws hard sliders to right-handed hitters and a slower version of the pitch to left-handers. So far, it has been a lethal combination.

“It is now,’’ Boone said when asked if his surprising success is sinking in. “It’s starting to all catch up to me. I’m doing all the stuff right and I’m back in my shoes.’’

On a mission: Freddy Garcia is expected to be back in camp today after pitching for Venezuela, which was eliminated in the World Baseball Classic.

Garcia, scheduled to start against the Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday, pitched 7º innings in the WBC and allowed 1 run on 5 hits.

White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said the 29-year-old pitcher benefited from pitching for his country.

“Let’s face it, Freddy approaches spring training from a veteran standpoint, where he’s really just going to get his pitches and his innings and his arm ready,’’ Cooper said. “There’s not a lot of intensity behind it a lot of times. I think that may be good for Freddy.’’

On schedule: The White Sox were off Thursday, but starting pitcher Jon Garland took his regular turn in a game against Sox minor-leaguers. Throwing 86 pitches, Garland went 4¿ innings and allowed 2 runs on 6 hits.

Wow, Logan's fastball reaches 93 MPH? That's some pretty damn impressive velocity for a sidearmer. I'm almost starting to believe the hype. It would be sweet if he turned into another Brian Fuentes. Lord knows, we could use a decent reliever right now.

Is Borchard playing any centerfield? He would have the best arm of any outfielder and I thought he was at least average out there. He would make for a nice platoon if nothing else with Anderson. Borchard in the 8th hole I could deal with. If Borchard makes the team Dye could again play first if needed making Gload expendable.

Is Borchard playing any centerfield?  He would have the best arm of any outfielder and I thought he was at least average out there.  He would make for a nice platoon if nothing else with Anderson.  Borchard in the 8th hole I could deal with.  If Borchard makes the team Dye could again play first if needed making Gload expendable.

Arm strength in CF is the last thing we have to worry about. That's probably Anderson's best tool.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
I really don't even want to consider the thought of Borchard platooning, because that implies he would get somewhat regular PT.  He's a 25th man who is big, has a storm arm, can switch hit, and sometimes hit a ball 500 feet.  The end.

He still has the tools to be a great player.....I wouldnt just say The end like that. Now its foolish to expect him to ever reach that potential at this point but that doesnt change the fact its still there. I wouldnt mind him taking the Timo role who got a decent amount of playing time.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
He still has the tools to be a great player.....I wouldnt just say The end like that.  Now its foolish to expect him to ever reach that potential at this point but that doesnt change the fact its still there.  I wouldnt mind him taking the Timo role who got a decent amount of playing time.

See the last part of that I agree with. Unlike Timo, Borch can switch hit and hit for power. And Lord knows he can hit for a better average than Timo did last year, as well as play the field a lot better.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
See the last part of that I agree with.  Unlike Timo, Borch can switch hit and hit for power.  And Lord knows he can hit for a better average than Timo did last year, as well as play the field a lot better.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Timo's average last year was .218. Borchard's career BA is .191, and he batted .174 in the year in which he got his most AB's.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Timo's average last year was .218.  Borchard's career BA is .191, and he batted .174 in the year in which he got his most AB's.

Which is why I'd rather have Gload as the 25th man, since he has been able to hit major league pitching at .300+.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Joe just adds more versatility than Gload in that he can pinch run and steal a base, has an arm to play all 3 OF better, and the constant HR threat. I dont even know why its an issue.

Gload is better/proven insurance policy if Thome or Konerko go down. That is about it. Huge issue staring KW and Ozzie in the face between the two.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Joe just adds more versatility than Gload in that he can pinch run and steal a base, has an arm to play all 3 OF better, and the constant HR threat. I dont even know why its an issue.

Actually, in ST at least, Gload has 1 SB, Borch none (very small sample size, of course). And Gload hasn't looked too bad out there this spring in the few games I have watched (though I have not yet seen his suspect arm tested yet). Borch has misplayed some flyballs.

Ultimately, what will decide which one stays is some other team, probably. Which one gets traded? Whichever one some other team wants, probably with a prospect, in exchange for a reliever.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 05:04 AM)
Gload is better/proven insurance policy if Thome or Konerko go down.  That is about it.  Huge issue staring KW and Ozzie in the face between the two.

But I mean we signed Bucky Jacobson who's produced in the majors before in AAA, and even Casey Rogowski down there as well.

If we can package Gload instead of Borch for a good reliever, I'd rather do that.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
I'd rather have Borchard than Gload. Especially just in case Anderson hits a major slump, Borchard could be the replacement for hopefully a very short time.

Id rather have gload i dont mind putting mack out there to replace andersons struggles and cintron can always fill in for crede when mack is playing