Blum: "I still get goose bumps"

SSH2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=169531

Blum: I still get goose bumps

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — There were no parting shots from Geoff Blum on Tuesday.

Unlike a pair of former teammates on the White Sox’ 2005 World Series championship team, Frank Thomas and Carl Everett, Blum has no clouded memories from his brief stay on the South Side.

“I’ve been traded three times and been on five different teams, so it’s always weird coming back into a clubhouse,’’ said Blum, who visited his old teammates before Tuesday’s Cactus League game between the White Sox and Padres.

“But obviously, this place has a certain place in my heart. It’s always nice coming back and seeing these guys. They’re good dudes and I miss these guys.’’

Acquired in a July 31 trade from San Diego last season, Blum batted .200 in 31 games with the White Sox and wasn’t much of a factor down the stretch.

But he’ll always be remembered by Sox fans for hitting the deciding home run in Game 3 of the World Series. In the wee hours of the morning, Blum snapped a 5-5 tie with a solo shot in the 14th inning.

The White Sox went on to beat the Astros 7-5 and completed the World Series sweep the following night with a 1-0 win in Game 4.

Now back with the Padres, Blum said it’s hard to forget his historic home run.

“When I stop playing and people still talk about it, that’s probably when it will sink in,’’ Blum said. “But right now, I still get goose bumps talking about it.’’

Considering he has a wife and four young daughters back home in San Diego, re-signing with the Padres after the World Series made sense to Blum. But he still misses his short time with the Sox.

“I think it’s a credit to the guys in the clubhouse,’’ Blum said. “I come back in here and it’s like I never left. The gave me big hugs and talked about what happened last season. This is a great group of guys.’’

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
I didn't want to mention the Cubs right off the bat because it would seem like I was just hating on the Cubs.  But, that bench seems pretty pathetic to me.

Yeah, it really had nothing to do with the Cubs if the Rangers had that same bench I would have mentioned it.

It's amazing that 50 years from now, Geoff Blum will still be remembered in White Sox History for that HR. I can't complain, though. Waiting up until 1:30 AM for that to happen will stay with me forever.

Everyone pitched in last season. Blum's homerun exemplified that. He will always be remembered by the southside faithful!

You guys are right, it is too bad Everett and Thomas didn't adopt Rowand and Blums classyness.

I was thinking the other day, why do all these players say negative things after they leave. Why did Maggs, Frank and Carl rip the organization? Well i figured it out. They wanted to stay in Chicago soooo bad, that it hurts them to leave. And that is how these players cope with the process. It pretty much just says that being a member of the Whitesox is a wonderful thing. Thats my rationale behind that.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
It's amazing that 50 years from now, Geoff Blum will still be remembered in White Sox History for that HR.  I can't complain, though.  Waiting up until 1:30 AM for that to happen will stay with me forever.

As will Ryan Meaux :)

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Sean McAdam has an article on ESPN.com about the top 5 benches in baseball.  The Sox aren't mentioned.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2376779

I think it's kind of laughable.

Absolutely pathetic. Our bench could hang with the Cubs' starters.

That was the craziest set of emotions I think I went through during the entire postseason. Astacio got the GIDP which looked like it would be an inning and momentum ending play. I was down, and actually threw a tv chair into my couch I was so pissed. Like friggin 30 seconds later Blum connects...initially, I thought it was a double, and I of course then pulled my best Hawk and yelled "Get up!"...sure enough, it went out.

Geoff, thanks for the hair, thanks for the homer, thanks for everything.

Oh...

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
As will Ryan Meaux :)

As will Kenny Lofton :)