Are You Ready for Year of the Bandwagon?!

LVSoxFan

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Don't get me wrong--I'm not being sour grapes because now the Sox have crowds, I'm just saying WOW--there did all these people COME from?

Just because people are coming to more games now, that doesn't necessarily mean they are new fans. In some cases, they are Sox fans who go to a few games when they are losing, and a whole bunch of games when they are winning. As has been said here before, Sox fans show up when there is a winning product on the field.

Just something to keep in mind.

And besides, if you don't get new fans sometime... you run out of fans.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Just because people are coming to more games now, that doesn't necessarily mean they are new fans.  In some cases, they are Sox fans who go to a few games when they are losing, and a whole bunch of games when they are winning.  As has been said here before, Sox fans show up when there is a winning product on the field.

Just something to keep in mind.

And besides, if you don't get new fans sometime... you run out of fans.

A lot of the new fans are season ticketholders only because that was the price they had to pay for WS tickets. There are more tickets available now on the season ticket exchange than there were at anytime last year, except for maybe the playoffs when they were putting ridiculous prices up to see if anyone would bite. If the Sox don't repeat, there is no doubt every person on the waiting list will have an opportunity next year for tickets with postseason priviledges.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
A lot of the new fans are season ticketholders only because that was the price they had to pay for WS tickets. There are more tickets available now on the season ticket exchange than there were at anytime last year, except for maybe the playoffs when they were putting ridiculous prices up to see if anyone would bite. If the Sox don't repeat, there is no doubt every person on the waiting list will have an opportunity next year for tickets with postseason priviledges.

Good point DA. I don't usually look there but I just logged in and holy crap you are right. Might be 22K sold per game.. but there aint gonna be 22K butts there.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)

No doubt. I think thats definitely a big chunk. And some of those are serious Sox fans who wanted to go to the postseason, and some are scalpers. Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of different people causing the increase in ticket sales, and they aren't all the bandwagon jumping new fans that some people get upset about.

I agree that more tickets sold = more revenue and that's the most important thing. Even though I hate ignorant fans, sitting by them is a small price to pay in exchange for a WS title.

As far as Thunderstruck goes, everytime I hear that song I get goosebumps. I've never been more excited for Opening Day in my life!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
Where are you going to put the hookers?!

are we still allowed to bring a small plastic bags with 2 unopened water bottles and sandwiches? Cause i was gonna put em in there.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
I can think of $95M reasons why bandwagon jumpers are great.

Let me introduce you to Javier Vazquez, Jim Thome and Alex Cintron.

The difference between this year and last is that many people will go to more games rather than less.  More games attended = greater atttendance.

Couldn't have said this better myself. Bandwagoners are definitely the scum of the earth. But the more that show up, the better off the Sox are. I believe where there's a will, there's always a way. If you really want to go to a game, nothing should stop you.

Well I agree that it's good to get new fans, no matter how you get them. Point taken.

As far as sellouts go--that's true, too. I remember being a few "sold out" games last year and was amazed at how many empty seats were there. I like a crowded park--just not INSANE crowded.

Well I guess we'll see. This year I don't have a package because all the Ozzie plan could offer was UD seats--no thanks. So we'll talk in September and see how many games I could go to in this "sold out" season just trying to hustle some tix.

Should be interesting.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Couldn't have said this better myself.  Bandwagoners are definitely the scum of the earth.  But the more that show up,  the better off the Sox are.  I believe where there's a will,  there's always a way.  If you really want to go to a game,  nothing should stop you.

scum of the earth? a little harsh huh?

Try to think of it this way, maybe 25% (maybe higher?) of the fans we "made" last year, will be fans for life, especially the kids.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
scum of the earth? a little harsh huh?

Try to think of it this way, maybe 25% (maybe higher?) of the fans we "made" last year, will be fans for life, especially the kids. 

Everyone has to start somewhere.

I would say waaaaay lower. Unless we win a few years in a row the WS shirts will get buried deep at the bottom of drawers. It's not "cute" to be a Sox fan. It's not something that just happens overnight. If we don't repeat - meaning get back to the series - season tickets will be a dime a dozen next year like they were at the start of last year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
I would say waaaaay lower. Unless we win a few years in a row the WS shirts will get buried deep at the bottom of drawers. It's not "cute" to be a Sox fan. It's not something that just happens overnight. If we don't repeat - meaning get back to the series - season tickets will be a dime a dozen next year like they were at the start of last year.

There's no way the ticket base drops that far down in one year...

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
It dropped 7K in 1995.

So you're predicting another strike? :huh:

I wouldn't equate the same type of fan loss after a strike as not making the WS, especially if we put another run at the playoffs and stay competitive again.

Let's give our fans a little more credit. I don't know the exact number as to how much the ticket base grew from last year, but there's no way we lose them all in one year.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
So you're predicting another strike?    :huh:

I wouldn't equate the same type of fan loss after a strike as not making the WS, especially if we put another run at the playoffs and stay competitive again.

Let's give our fans a little more credit.  I don't know the exact number as to how much the ticket base grew from last year, but there's no way we lose them all in one year.

No, but it has happened.

And preceeding the strike they were on a huge decline. In '91 we has close to 27K holders. By '94 it was down to 20K and in '95 they registered just over 13K. Yes the strike absolutely was a factor. But those 13K.. those are the "real fans". Just like the 12k that was at the start of last year. Those are the core that I expect to stick around and spend their $$. The fan base grew just under 10K from last year. 90% of them became holders only after the series tickets were guaranteed.

And I did comment that if we don't stay competitive they will leave. Folks who don't love this team are not going to spend their money unless they are winning. They've proven that over the past 10 years.

I think it's entirely possible that some people simply became Sox fans because off the playoffs/WS, and I don't begrudge them that.

I guess what worries me isn't that there's tons of new fans--hey, Sox fan? We're bros, then!--I guess I'm worried that there's a ton of "casual" fans that will now be going for other reasons besides the team.

I'm not sure those people will make it through a whole season of trekking to the Cell, just to hang out. Especially since the Ryan is focked for the entire summer and beyond (a gift to us from IDOT, perhaps?).

I would hardly be an elitist and jump on some new guy wearing his new jersey because he's fallen for the Sox--who am I to say you must have "X" amount of years to be "real"? I welcome those people. It's the people who invade Wrigley and Bulls games with their cellphones and the like that I worry about.

Last year while arguing attendance between the two clubs, I read what I thought was the most astute observation: the Cubs and Sox probably have about the same number of die-hard fans, but when it comes to casual fans the Cubs absolutely blow us away (which accounts for why the Cubs always outdraw us, at least until now). But that in itself was an affirmation: exactly. Our fans are here for the team. I just hope it stays that way.

I am happy that the fans will be out. It will save me a ton of money. I'll end up going to 10-15 games this year instead of 30. That will save a couple of grand probably.

Also, like Steff said earlier in the thread, people and brokers (I don't think of brokers as people) bought season tickets for this year so they could get the playoff tickets. They won't go to most games which means tickets will be around. I luckily hooked up a pair for the opener, but I would bet you have a decent shot at a ticket in the lot before the game if you are willing to spend $50.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
To answer the question of the thread, yes.

And I guess Sox fans are never happy with the crowds.

Last year, people are complaining that we're not selling enough tix, and now we're selling too many.  OH THE HORROR!!11!

Preach on...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
To be 100% honest, I have season tickets for this year, so my view is skewed anyway.... :P

Bingo. Bandwagon fans are great if you have tickets locked up all year. I can't afford season tickets, so I have to fight over scraps with all the *new* fans.

Oh well :crying

Well let me be the first to volunteer to be the guinea pig this season.

I am lifelong Sox fan this year withOUT season tix who will be scrapping for individual games. How hard will it be, now that we are WS champions? I will let everybody know ('cause I know you're just dying to hear).

A little background: while I had the Ozzie plan last year, the majority of the games I went to I either bought the day of or before online (email tix), or for a good chunk of them I just showed up. My friends and I all congregate on the concourse, so we just need to get in, period.

The only ones I had to scalp was one of the Cub/Sox game at the Cell (the other I got through the plan). This year, forget it: those are gone, gone, gone.

Even the Boston, A's and Yankees series I was able to walk up and at least get one.

In September you could go to any game you wanted, no joke. It was when they made the playoffs that all of a sudden it was like there were 2,000,000 Sox fans.

So we'll see how this season goes. Should be an interesting experiment.

If I had to guess I would say this: obviously opening day is off the table and the Cubs/Sox series. I think day games during the week will be no problem. I think the "premium" games will be tough and forget about the big promotions (Elvis night, 1/2 way to St. Pat's). But for some reason I think it will cool down as the season wears on.

We shall see.

Edited by LVSoxFan