Julian Tavarez vs Joey Gathright

CardsJimEdmonds15

1143497278_8207.jpg

Julian Tavarez threw a punch at Joey Gathright during an incident in the top of the eighth on Monday's game between the Red Sox and Devil Rays.

After apparently getting spiked at the plate while covering home, Tavarez connected with a right to Gathright's chin. Players rushed the field from there, but nothing further happened. Tavarez will likely face a suspension over the incident, perhaps a harsh one. Maybe that will clear a spot for Craig Hansen in the Boston bullpen.

Source: Boston.com

capt.flck10203272158.devil_rays_red_sox_

capt.flck10403272213.devil_rays_red_sox_

capt.flck10503272213.devil_rays_red_sox_

capt.flck10603272212.devil_rays_red_sox_

capt.flck10703272215.devil_rays_red_sox_

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
Of all the players I'd like to see decked in the face, Gathright is defnitely near the bottom. You have to feel for any young player stuck for atleast five years in baseball purgatory.

Tavarez is at the top of the list I'd like to see decked.

Too bad he was the one doing the decking.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Tavarez is an absolute piece of s***.  I don't think even redandwhite would try to argue that with us.

Not to try and justify the situation in Tavarez' favor, but the man is clearly a guy who gives an arm and a leg at all times, a 'rudy'-like player if you will.

Those are great qualities to have in a player but when it turns into something like this, you can only place blame on Tavarez. The punch was completely unneccessary and immature, and should never have happened.

I don't think he's a piece of s*** because friends of mine who have interacted with him in the past say he's an excellent, down to earth guy, but these situations that put his own teammates (Jon Papelbon) in harms way for potential injury have got to stop.

It was wrong, he shouldn't have done it, he'll be suspended for it, and thats that. I just am thankful that noone was hurt.

Tavarez has been a classless douche for years (see the link that was already mentioned). There's no refuting it. He also cheated in his time with the Cardinals (pine tar on his cap). Both Cubs and Cardinals fans hate the guy. He's a good reliever but that doesn't make him any less of a douchebag.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
Not to try and justify the situation in Tavarez' favor, but the man is clearly a guy who gives an arm and a leg at all times, a 'rudy'-like player if you will. 

Those are great qualities to have in a player but when it turns into something like this, you can only place blame on Tavarez.  The punch was completely unneccessary and immature, and should never have happened.

I don't think he's a piece of s*** because friends of mine who have interacted with him in the past say he's an excellent, down to earth guy, but these situations that put his own teammates (Jon Papelbon) in harms way for potential injury have got to stop.

It was wrong, he shouldn't have done it, he'll be suspended for it, and thats that.  I just am thankful that noone was hurt.

I don't know if Rudy ever tried to punch out an opponent. But if he did, I imagine he could throw a better punch than that sissy s*** Tavarez threw.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
I don't know if Rudy ever tried to punch out an opponent.  But if he did, I imagine he could throw a better punch than that sissy s*** Tavarez threw.

you throw a punch like a leetle gurl....

Tavarez could be suspended over this, but MLB is having trouble finding video.

Major League Baseball is looking for video as it investigates the punch Boston releiver Julian Tavarez threw to the head of Tampa Bay's Joey Gathright earlier this week.

According to a story in Wednesday's Boston Globe, league discipline czar Bob Watson is having trouble finding videotape of the incident. The spring training game was not televised.

There is a 56-photo series show by an Associated Press photographer that Watson has seen

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)

I don't know. There's a pretty big difference between being a hard-nosed, give it your all type player and being an absolute dick. See Milton Bradley.

If I remember correctly, it was this type of attitude that got him shipped out of San Fran and Cleveland. Cheating, derogotory comments, unnecessary cheap shots, clubhouse problems...yah, sounds like a great guy.

Good, he deserves it...

Latest News  Mar. 30, 2006 - 4:26 pm et

MLB suspended RHP Julian Tavarez for 10 days for throwing a punch at Joey Gathright in Monday's game against the Devil Rays.

That's about right. He'll probably appeal, although there's not going to be any better time for him to serve the suspension than the start of the season.