Smoking banned at US Cellular

TLAK

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm conflicted.

I am a non-smoker, so on that level I like this.

However, my first real memory of going to old Comiskey Park was the smell of cigar smoke from the older guys I'd be walking behind. So second-hand cigar smoke reminds me of baseball.

I feel bad for smokers these days - they're made to feel like some kind of lepers, yet they're taxed ass over appetite by lazy politicians who'd rather slap another tax on cigarettes than try to figure out how they're wasting all the money in their current budgets. It's not fair to them.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
love this

now I won't have to have my shirt over my nose while I'm in the concession line :P

That is one point even a smoker can agree on. I always thought it was backwards to ban smoking in the outdoor seats but allow it up where they made the food.

There is going to be trouble over this ban, you can't see the game from the ramps and smokers are not going to just accept it. With the bigger crowds my old trick of going way upstairs to the empty seats for an inning won't work anymore (that way I could keep my scorecard up).

I predict a lot of arguements and maybe some fights. While I'm not a zealot on the issue, I know a lot of guys who are. If you hassle them they will be perfectly happy to pop you one in the snoz and take the consequences.

Hopefully some kind of tacit arrangement will come about all can live with.

I am a non smoker and like this new policy. Smokers can still smoke, just out on designated ramps, or smokers can do their bodies a favor and abstain for 3 hours. One thing I don't understand, and don't get me wrong, I don't think being a smoker makes you a bad person, but smokers with young children, at least the couple that I know, never smoke in their house, or want to subject their little ones to second hand smoke. But when it comes to an arena or public place, it seems to be just fine with them to subject other's little ones and adults to their second hand smoke. Why is it fine with them to go have to go out on the porch to smoke at their own homes, but it is asking way too much and is totally unfair if that same policy is used at a public place? And why do smokers usually claim there is no evidence secondhand smoke kills, but do their best not to subject their kids to it?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 06:52 AM)
I'm conflicted.

I am a non-smoker, so on that level I like this.

However, my first real memory of going to old Comiskey Park was the smell of cigar smoke from the older guys I'd be walking behind. So second-hand cigar smoke reminds me of baseball.

I feel bad for smokers these days - they're made to feel like some kind of lepers, yet they're taxed ass over appetite by lazy politicians who'd rather slap another tax on cigarettes than try to figure out how they're wasting all the money in their current budgets. It's not fair to them.

I'm a weaning smoker (down to maybe 2 packs a week and more often then not I am just holding it because I'm chewing gum and I can NOT smoke and chew gum at the same time - ick), and I like this. I do agree that smokers are treated like lepers, but it IS a nasty unhealthy and non-smokers shouldn't have to breath in the second hand smoke. The argument that it's unfair to both sides has merit, IMO.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
f***.Yes. What really pisses me off is the people who will sneek in a smoke in the stands. Don't you love when the people sitting behind you blow smoke in your face!

No, I tell them I'll get them thrown out if they don't quit being f***ing gross and smoking in my face.

we'll see if they enforce it.. if you need me i'll be the guy smoking in the stands.

And I'll be the guy making sure they "enforce it". *Sighs* why do smokers gotta be so bitter, you still have designated ramps to slowly kill yourself.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
No, I tell them I'll get them thrown out if they don't quit being f***ing gross and smoking in my face.

And I'll be the guy making sure they "enforce it". *Sighs* why do smokers gotta be so bitter, you still have designated ramps to slowly kill yourself.

Generalize much...? :nono

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
Generalize much...?  :nono

Yeah, that's true....sorry. I just hear so much s*** about stuff like this from smokers. I should say "why do some smokers have to be so bitter". It's just I've already had 3 family members taken too soon because of their smoking habit, so it's a sensitive subject for me.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
Yeah, that's true....sorry.  I just hear so much s*** about stuff like this from smokers.  I should say "why do some smokers have to be so bitter".  It's just I've already had 3 family members taken too soon because of their smoking habit, so it's a sensitive subject for me.

I'm just razzin' ya. I know you didn't mean it in an attacking way.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
Yeah, that's true....sorry.  I just hear so much s*** about stuff like this from smokers.  I should say "why do some smokers have to be so bitter".  It's just I've already had 3 family members taken too soon because of their smoking habit, so it's a sensitive subject for me.

Because as bad as it is - it's still legal. I quit about a year and a half ago. I never realized how bad smoke smelled until now. Wow! I don't like this. Smokers have a legal right to smoke, in my opinion. Just like I have a right to drink, eat a brat with extra onions that stinks to high hell, or burp and fart. I just have a problem with this constant war against people doing a perfectly legal thing.

Addiction is a disease, right? AIDS is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Why is it OK to humiliate smokers, but feel sympathy for people with other diseases? Where's the ACLU for smokers? Can smokers use the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Just my $0.02

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
Because as bad as it is - it's still legal. I quit about a year and a half ago. I never realized how bad smoke smelled until now. Wow! I don't like this. Smokers have a legal right to smoke, in my opinion. Just like I have a right to drink, eat a brat with extra onions that stinks to high hell, or burp and fart. I just have a problem with this constant war against people doing a perfectly legal thing.

Addiction is a disease, right? AIDS is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Why is it OK to humiliate smokers, but feel sympathy for people with other diseases? Where's the ACLU for smokers? Can smokers use the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Just my $0.02

1.) who has been humiliating smokers? 2.) Eating a brat with extra onions or burping or farting doesnt affect the kid sitting next to you with cystic fibrosis. Thats also a disease. Should he be punished because someone wants to smoke?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
1.) who has been humiliating smokers? 2.) Eating a brat with extra onions or burping or farting doesnt affect the kid sitting next to you with cystic fibrosis. Thats also a disease. Should he be punished because someone wants to smoke?

It's socially accepted to ridicule and make fun of smokers. No one ever publically disagrees with any laws or ordinances hindering their rights. I've seen people yell at smokers out of nowhere and the smoker is supposed to take it.

Maybe I should have been more clear. A ban in the seating area is fine. I'm talking in more general terms.

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
It's socially accepted to ridicule and make fun of smokers. No one ever publically disagrees with any laws or ordinances hindering their rights. I've seen people yell at smokers out of nowhere and the smoker is supposed to take it.

Maybe I should have been more clear. A ban in the seating area is fine. I'm talking in more general terms.

And it's socially acceptable among this circle to ridicule Cubs' fans. If you're doing something stupid, you may get ridiculed for it. Smoking not only hurts you but everyone else who is around you. And I'm honestly sorry for those who have not been educated about the dangers of smoking or those who blindly retort, "Hey, we all gotta die some day." Meanwhile there's a likely chance that they'll slowly die one day by suffocating on their own fluids. I'm not even being unnecessarily graphic, that's just how it is. My girlfriend is a year away from being a nurse, and she's already seen some pretty horrible things. I will definitely not point out this thread to her to save you all from the longest of rants this board has ever seen. Just to be clear, I'm not judging you smokers, do with your life as you will, just please don't let it affect the rest of us.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
I’m a smoker, and if there are TVs in the designated areas so I can keep on following the game then that should be fine. I will miss having a cigarette, on the concourse and watching the game live.

No tv's out there. Smoke fast! :lol:

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)

That I tend to agree with. I have no problem with smokers, my beef is with smokers who think they should be able to smoke anywhere. Smoking is legal, but it's also a personal health choice....so if a person wants to smoke, fine, just please not in my face.

Let me also point out that if they took away all smoking areas including designated spots at The Cell, I'd be strongly against that because then your completely taking away people's freedom. Non-smokers can just stay away from designated smoking areas, at least in that senario we have that choice, and that's all I (and those whom don't smoke but are reasonable) ask.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Being an ex-smoker (haven't had one in almost 6 years), I am conflicted on this. I selfishly will enjoy the lack of secondhand smoke, and I don't feel too bad for smokers having to go out on the ramps, even having been one.

But, I personally believe that individual businesses and organizations should make the decision on allowing or not allowing smoking on their property - not the government. Smoking is legal. Because so many people despise second hand smoke, many establishments will be non-smoking by choice anyway, and the consumers can vote with their money that way.

My .02.

Smokers have a legal right to smoke, in my opinion. Just like I have a right to drink, eat a brat with extra onions that stinks to high hell, or burp and fart. I just have a problem with this constant war against people doing a perfectly legal thing.

Yes smokers have a legal right to smoke and this legislation is a law that mandates where smokers can exercise that right.

My drivers lisence gives me a legal right to drive but if I drive on the sidewalk I get in trouble.

It's all about the public good.