Carlos Lee To Cubs Deal Imminent?????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's terribly one-sided in that Cubs fans, the target audience, value Hill, Guzman, and Murton far more than you do.

He was going for a reaction akin to if I had posted that the Sox traded McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney for Torri Hunter.

You've been had, Jim.

WRONG.

The premise of the trade makes perfect sense for both teams. Lee is rumored to be coming to the Cubs anyways.

Whether it's a spoof or not doesn't matter, the premise makes sense.

Your McCarthy, et al premise is way out of left field.

I can't believe people are still falling for this April Fool's stuff.

Anyways, the value of Matt Murton, Rich Hill, and Angel Guzman is far greater than only one year of Carlos Lee. Afterall, we traded two years of Carlos Lee (when he had better numbers than last season) for Podsednik and Vizcaino. Murton, Hill, and Guzman are much more valuable than Podsednik and Vizcaino.

Edited by SSH2005

Jim,

How do you know the knucklehead who runs that site? You defend him far too much for somebody who's not related to him.

Actually no I'm not related to him but thanks for the condescending remark.

He knows one hell of a lot more about baseball and has more connections than you ever will.

Further, he has connections that no one on this site has, and many of you are just unable to grasp the concept that he reports rumors. Get it? Rumors.

That means he reports what's being discussed. He does not put %'s on whether something will happen or not.

Even though he was spoofing, again, the premise of the deal makes sense, even though you apparantly have a dialed in read to Cubs fans minds. :rolly

Actually I think a lot of the criticism of this guy is jealousy. Some of you guys wish you had the connections he does, and it's easier to sit back and take potshots at people whose place you'd love to be in.

This is one reason why I stopped posting here, because of people like you who converse in absolutes and take potshots at people who have just a bit more information that you do.

Nothing personal but I am sick and tired of all the criticism of guys like him, Levine, Offman, et al. These guys are damned if they do and damned if they don't in your eyes.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
They report chatter, they do not predict which things will happen.  Big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that site say this deal could be done by the end of today? He gets some of his info from message boards, there is no doubt in my mind. When the one poster on this board claiming to be the son of an investor said the Sox were willing to go to $106 million with their payroll, that same "rumor" appeared on that site almost word for word. Also the Carl Crawford for Josh Fields rumor was absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that site say this deal could be done by the end of today? He gets some of his info from message boards, there is no doubt in my mind. When the one poster on this board claiming to be the son of an investor said the Sox were willing to go to $106 million with their payroll, that same "rumor" appeared on that site almost word for word. Also the Carl Crawford for Josh Fields rumor was absolutely ridiculous.

:cheers

The premise of the deal doesn't make sense. Murton is a good, young, cheap outfielder. Why would the Cubs want to lose him, especially for only one year of an overrated Carlos Lee? Also, Wood and Prior are as fragile as glass. The Cubs need Angel Guzman and Rich Hill as pitching depth to compete this year. They have no idea how many innings Wood and Prior will give them this season. After this season, Wood and Maddux will both be gone. Wood has a $13.5 million team option that most likely won't be picked up and Maddux will be a free agent and nearing retirement. The Cubs will need Angel Guzman and Rich Hill.

Jim, how do you know this guy has connections?

I also think it's really unfair to Ofman and Levine to be lumped in with this guy. These guys are paid good money to travel around with baseball teams whereas we have a guy who, to quote Bob Uecker, is "0 for the century" when predicting possible trade rumors. (Yes, he does predictions as evident by such titles as "expect player X to be heading to team Y soon.") Ofman was the first to report the Contreras signing. Where was this guy? Don't you think if he had ANY connections he would get something right and before someone else?

I mean, I knew of Nancy Faust re-signing for 2 more years back in 2003 because I engaged in a conversation with her son online (I e-mailed him like his mom asked :D )

Maybe you know more to this story than me, but my uncles or one of them knew of Tim Raines being signed by the Sox before anyone else because they were hanging out in the GM's office.

How is it that people I know can get inside scoop like this, yet a guy who runs a blog dedicated to all trade rumors can't get ANYTHING before someone else?

Edited by santo=dorf

His rumor was a spoof which I personally think was a stupid thing for him to do but don't think for a second the Cubs aren't keeping their radar on Carlos Lee. They are.

What is the payroll? It's about $98M with their actual obligation being about $92M isn't it? They are commiting resources, as evidenced today. So it appears what he said is not too far off base. And actually the # he stated was $105 if I recall.

KW has come out well after all this stuff got said and indicated there would be room if they needed something mid season.

Some of you guys insist he gets his info from message boards, he reports what he sees on message boards and checks it out with his contacts.

I have tried to explain this about two dozen times but no one seems to grasp it. He writes up things he hears or seeks out. He gets a lot of stuff from agents, 2nd level front office types, scouts, and media. He could care less if SoxTalk believes him or not. He doesn't care about people on SoxTalk having a scorecard about rumors and discrediting him. Half of you don't read exactly how he says things anyways.

I'm not defending him 100% but I will say he's one hell of a lot more in the know than anyone on this board.

My point has been made pretty clearly so go ahead all of you and get in your last word and feel good about yourselves for taking potshots at guys like this. Again it doesn't matter to me if a bunch of fans respect this guy or not.

Jim, how do you know this guy has connections?

Because I know, just like I know your grandfather owns the oldest continuously family run restaurant/tavern in the city of Chicago, and just like I know the joint has liquor lisence #6.

You guys really need to take a closer look at how he says things and all the caveats he puts in his writings.

That's it, I'm done with this thread.

I'm sure the Cubs were and possibly still are interested in Carlos Lee. But trading Murton, Guzman, and Hill for Carlos Lee would still make no sense for the Cubs for the present or for the future, especially with both Wood and Maddux likely being gone next season. Hendry would never make this deal.

In other words, the Cubs actually trading for Carlos Lee could make some sense. This specific deal, however, would not make any sense for the Cubs.

By the way, even Cubs fans would feel that they were getting ripped off in this proposed deal. They love Murton and Guzman and realize that Carlos Lee is overrated, especially if they would only have him for one season before he hits free agency.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
His rumor was a spoof which I personally think was a stupid thing for him to do but don't think for a second the Cubs aren't keeping their radar on Carlos Lee.  They are.

What is the payroll?  It's about $98M with their actual obligation being about $92M isn't it?  They are commiting resources, as evidenced today.  So it appears what he said is not too far off base.  And actually the # he stated was $105 if I recall.

KW has come out well after all this stuff got said and indicated there would be room if they needed something mid season.

Some of you guys insist he gets his info from message boards, he reports what he sees on message boards and checks it out with his contacts.

I have tried to explain this about two dozen times but no one seems to grasp it.  He writes up things he hears or seeks out.  He gets a lot of stuff from agents, 2nd level front office types, scouts, and media.  He could care less if SoxTalk believes him or not.  He doesn't care about people on SoxTalk having a scorecard about rumors and discrediting him.  Half of you don't read exactly how he says things anyways. 

I'm not defending him 100% but I will say he's one hell of a lot more in the know than anyone on this board. 

My point has been made pretty clearly so go ahead all of you and get in your last word and feel good about yourselves for taking potshots at guys like this.  Again it doesn't matter to me if a bunch of fans respect this guy or not.

Jim, I would advise you to go back and look at his archives. One of his rumors has source who supposedly was a roommate of Barry Larkin's cousin in college. The rumored trade this "source" had was Ronny Cedeno for Brad Wilkerson. Surprisingly, the trade never happened. I understand there is lots of talks and different players mentioned between teams, a point you have brought up before. But there are also lots of rumors which are total BS, trades that were never discussed. Last winter there was a lot of talk about the White Sox being close to landing Juan Pierre. They never discussed Pierre with the Marlins. I wouldn't doubt the Cubs have their eye on CLee. But I am 99.99 percent certain they would not give up the package this guy is talking about for him right now. If I am wrong and Carlos Lee is a Cub by the end of today, I will wear a mlbtraderumors.com shirt to every White Sox game I attend this year. Another thing, if he really wanted credibility and I am not sure he really does, he would get rid of the link on his site where anyone can send him a rumor. Considering no one else has this, its most likely an April Fool's joke.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I'm sure the Cubs were and possibly still are interested in Carlos Lee.  But trading Murton, Guzman, and Hill for Carlos Lee would still make no sense for the Cubs for the present or for the future, especially with both Wood and Maddux likely being gone next season.  Hendry would never make this deal.

In other words, the Cubs actually trading for Carlos Lee could make some sense.  This specific deal, however, would not make any sense for the Cubs.

By the way, even Cubs fans would feel that they were getting ripped off in this proposed deal.  They love Murton and Guzman and realize that Carlos Lee is overrated, especially if they would only have him for one season before he hits free agency.

Stole my thoughts. The Cubs can't afford to make this deal when two of their pitchers are out for a month. It's a fine deal if the Cubs had 5 starters, but they don't and there's no reason to bring in Lee when Murton is as highly regarded as he is.

On the other hand, there's the Dusty factor. He doesn't play young guys and he wants to keep his job. I doubt Hendry would make a deal like this though.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
That guy knows more about baseball than cheat? Has more connections? Humorous.

On his Twins big trade rumor, he has nothing, but does say the message boards are chattering about a big deal about to go down. I don't agree with JimH when he says this guy has great sources. I think he basically goes over the sports websites, newspapers, and message boards looking for a rumor, and he posts it. I really don't think there anything posted there anyone else couldn't get if they wanted to do a little investigative reporting. He may know a couple of writers, but if you look at the archives, his information just isn't accurate most of the time. He is sort of a mini-Rotoworld, except he will use total crap from message boards as a source. It really doesn't bother me. Everyone likes a good rumor, even if there isn't an ounce of truth to it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Actually no I'm not related to him but thanks for the condescending remark.

It's clear that you know him, as you even alluded to in another post to Santo

He knows one hell of a lot more about baseball and has more connections than you ever will.

Is there some kind of test we can take to prove this? How do you know he has connections? I think if you speak in more absolutes here, some of the criticism of him on this site might die down.

Further, he has connections that no one on this site has, and many of you are just unable to grasp the concept that he reports rumors.  Get it?  Rumors.

I get it, you "know" he has connections. So why do you get so defensive when I call it bunk, yet don't expound on his connections?

This is one reason why I stopped posting here, because of people like you who converse in absolutes and take potshots at people who have just a bit more information that you do.
People who post in absolutes??? hmm... So would that be like saying something like "every minor leaguer sucks."

Nothing personal but I am sick and tired of all the criticism of guys like him, Levine, Offman, et al.  These guys are damned if they do and damned if they don't in your eyes.
Good luck trying to find anywhere where I've criticised Levine or Offman beyond saying "take this with a grain of salt." The only criticism I have for those two is that they too often are being a mouthpiece for the organization. They are in a tough position where they feel they have to speak the company line in order to keep a healthy workplace environment. I understand they're in a tough spot, but they could both stand to be far more questioning than they are.

I can't believe you're even lumping in Rumor Mongerer with those two. He's not travelling with the team. He doesn't have direct contact with Hendry or Williams. The only thing he has direct connection to is his radio and email.

Actually I think a lot of the criticism of this guy is jealousy.  Some of you guys wish you had the connections he does, and it's easier to sit back and take potshots at people whose place you'd love to be in.
He wrote for a fantasy site, and is now writing a series of blogs. I don't see how that's much different than me.

The key difference is he is trying to pass himself off as having inside information, while I'm doing no such thing. THIS IS A KEY DIFFERENCE. I relish being an outsider. It affords me the opportunity say things that I would bring me a lot of grief as an "insider."

Let's just dissect his some of his White Sox rumors to see where his "baseball knowledge and connections" come into play.

Back in December he was pimping a guy named Alex Woodson in the rumored Tejada deal. Woodson, as a 2005 draft pick, would be ineligible to be traded until the end of June 2006, when he signed. PTBNL's have to be named in 6 months, so he wasn't even eligible to be traded as a PTBNL either. That's not even mentioning that Woodson has all of 25 innings pitched in rookie ball. Players like that, with so little minor league experience and no draft pedigree, don't get traded, let alone mentioned in rumors for MVP candidate... But I'm sure he had some good inside info on that one :rolly

Here's a link to a timeline on the Bobby Abreu rumors. He was all over that one with his inside info. Only a weeks or months behind me, and I never once claimed to have any insider knowledge.

There's no jealousy here. On the internet, and specifically on blogs, there is no reason to be jealous. A rising tide raises all ships. I've linked to him in the past, he's linked to me.

I know my field of "expertise" is narrow. But I know the White Sox, and I just don't see a reason why we should trust this guy at all when he has said not one thing about the White Sox prior to any of their deals. (and it's not like there hasn't been a lot of them this off-season) His White Sox source clearly isn't telling him anything useful. In fact, his source might be having fun with him...

Go ahead, try to find one thing that he said about the Thome deal, the Vazquez deal, the Marte deal, the Cintron deal, the Garland signing, the Contreras signing, etc., before they happened. So in all of these deals he has said nothing....

But he's posted about Miguel Tejada, Mark Prior, Willy Tavares, and Juan Pierre to the Sox.

For someone who has "connections", it's VERY clear, he's got none with the Sox.

Check out the update to that same link now.  :headshake

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/04/sox_brass_displ.html

Sox Brass Displeased With Jenks, Hermanson

All April Fooling aside, let's get down to some serious trade rumor business.  I just spoke with a respected White Sox source, so here's the latest info.

Seems the club's decision makers are quite vexed with both Bobby Jenks and Dustin Hermanson. 

Not only did Jenks show up overweight to spring training, but he still hasn't gotten into shape.  His conditioning, and not his velocity, is the point of concern here.

The Sox are incensed at Hermanson for telling them he was OK when he really wasn't.  The severe back problems could force him to retire, and he did not give the team early warning to prepare.

UPDATE:  My source just got back to me with further details on Hermanson.  He told me:

"Kenny and Ozzie called him into Ozzie's office around the first weekend of March and asked if his back condition was bad enough for them to look for a reliever. He said no.  Then a few weeks later the news came out in the papers that Hermanson would consider career-threatening surgery if the epidural shots didn't work.  When Kenny read that, it sent him over the edge."

In 2005, Jenks and Hermanson combined for 96.6 innings of 2.33 ERA ball with 40 saves.  The Sox need to replace this production somehow, and obviously Boone Logan and Matt Thornton aren't the answer.  Jenks and Hermanson have put management in a compromising position - they'll be forced to trade for a reliever in the near future.  The starting six will have to be broken up.