Jermaine Dye

sox-r-us

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
I really cant imagine it can be, he didnt do anything today. I think he caugth a lazy fly in the 1st, thats about it...

Ya I couldn't figure it out. I didn't even remember him catching that fly. I was surprised when he came out. My guess is its just super precautionary. NO reason to risk losing him for an extended period of time.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Any mention on how severe it was?  I never heard Hawk or DJ say anything during the game aside from when they announced Mack was coming in.

They said it was nothing more than a day-to-day thing later on in the game (can't remember the inning)

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Here's where I don't understand Gload being on the roster.  We need another righty outfielder.  I don't want to see Ozuna playing RF.

It brings up the whole Gload vs. Borch argument again. If they're not going to use Gload in an OF position, I don't really see the need for keeping him either, even though he's a great bat to have off the bench.

It brings up the whole Gload vs. Borch argument again. If they're not going to use Gload in an OF position, I don't really see the need for keeping him either, even though he's a great bat to have off the bench.

Great point cuz Gload will barely be playing any 1B this season unless Konerko gets hurt. Our best hitter off the bench and Ozzie apparently doesn't like using him. Frustrating.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Dye leaves early with knot in calf

More should be known after off-day treatment; Crede sits

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Jermaine Dye left in the second inning of Wednesday's series finale against the Indians before even getting his first at-bat against Cleveland starter Cliff Lee, departing with what was described as a small knot in his left calf after Cleveland's 4-3 victory in 11 innings.

According to athletic trainer Herm Schneider, speaking through a team spokesman, Dye will come into U.S. Cellular Field during Thursday's off-day for further treatment. More will be known about Dye's status for Friday's contest in Kansas City following that session.

"I think it's a little tight," said Guillen of Dye, who was not in the clubhouse after Wednesday's setback. "I hope it's just tight. It was a little tight [today] and he couldn't perform."

Rob Mackowiak took over in right field for Dye and finished with one hit in five at-bats. Mackowiak hit into what would be a fielder's choice at the plate with the bases loaded in the sixth and walked to load the bases with two outs in the ninth. Mackowiak added that he had no prior knowledge of Dye's injury before he was told to enter the game.

Third baseman Joe Crede also missed Wednesday's game with the flu, which relegated him to the trainer's room for almost all of the pregame. Guillen started Pablo Ozuna in place of Crede.

"He doesn't have a fever, but I'd rather him get better," said Guillen of Crede. "We have guys to cover that space. We have Mackowiak and [Alex] Cintron. We have to cover up enough."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Great point cuz Gload will barely be playing any 1B this season unless Konerko gets hurt.  Our best hitter off the bench and Ozzie apparently doesn't like using him.  Frustrating.

Another reason as to why Bucky Jacbosen didn't stick with us as well. They were using Gload as an OF in ST, so if they're not going to do that in the regular season, why would you do that in the 1st place if you're not going to use him, and why would you keep him on the roster?

So are people seriously saying that they'd want Borchard to have come into the game yesterday instead of Mack? Seriously...Rob Machowiak is the first guy off the bench for almost every outfield position, as he should be, since he's the best backup outfielder on our bench.

If we need a 2nd outfielder, then we have Gload. If we need a guy who can play outfield with decent speed, then we can throw Ozuna out there.

And it's way too early to start saying "Ozzie will never use Gload off the bench". Ozzie has barely used anyone off the bench. When Thome or Konerko get days off, Gload will get plenty of time at 1b too.

This is what is called extrapolating from too limited of a dataset. If Gload has 2 at bats at the end of April, then we can go ahead and talk about how Gload never gets used.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
So are people seriously saying that they'd want Borchard to have come into the game yesterday instead of Mack?  Seriously...Rob Machowiak is the first guy off the bench for almost every outfield position, as he should be, since he's the best backup outfielder on our bench.

No, I'd rather have option C, which would have been a righty off the bench who can play the outfield and provide some offense against lefties.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
So are people seriously saying that they'd want Borchard to have come into the game yesterday instead of Mack?  Seriously...Rob Machowiak is the first guy off the bench for almost every outfield position, as he should be, since he's the best backup outfielder on our bench.

People wanted Borchard to start in center over Anderson and Mack, so these outcries come as no surprise.

I've dealt with an injury like this before, and it is something that can go from minor nuisance to big problem without proper rest and treatment. That said, with the world-class staff of the Sox, I don't think they will let that happen.

Baseball players are prone to this sort of injury because of all the sudden bursts following inacivity. I think Dye just needs to get some more fluids in his body and make sure he's properly warmed up--maybe taking a few more minutes to stretch his lower body than usual.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
No, I'd rather have option C, which would have been a righty off the bench who can play the outfield and provide some offense against lefties.

please enlighten me to who this fantasy player is that could produce better than Mack? Please, I would love to know.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
please enlighten me to who this fantasy player is that could produce better than Mack?  Please, I would love to know.

Against lefties? There are plenty of guys stuck at the end of the bench on teams or in AAA ball that could provide another option against LHP. I'm not, by any means, saying I don't want Mackowiak on our bench. Rather, I just don't see the point of having Gload on our current roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Against lefties?  There are plenty of guys stuck at the end of the bench on teams or in AAA ball that could provide another option against LHP.  I'm not, by any means, saying I don't want Mackowiak on our bench.  Rather, I just don't see the point of having Gload on our current roster.

Was there a name of a player in there somewhere? Sammy Sosa? Mack is pretty much one of the top reserve players in the entire league. Wishing for something that doesnt exist is pointless, even in your negative frame of mind.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Was there a name of a player in there somewhere?  Sammy Sosa?  Mack is pretty much one of the top reserve players in the entire league.  Wishing for something that doesnt exist is pointless, even in your negative frame of mind.

Mackowiak is a career .244 hitter against LHP. Mackowiak is a terrific reserve, but his productive is diminished greatly when he has to start playing against a lot of lefties. There are tons of outfielders in the minors that would fit this bill. Guys like Mike Restovich or D. Mohr would fit in better on this bench than Gload does. I'm sure the Rockies wouldn't mind trading Eli Marrero for some mid-level pitching prospect.

Trust me, there's been no one on this site claiming the Sox should get Mackowiak longer than I have. He's one of my favorite players in baseball.

Edited by fathom

Rob Mackowiak (career stats vs. lefties): 217 AB | .244 AVG | .301 OBP | .382 SLG | .683 OPS

There's a reason Mackowiak only has 217 career AB's against lefties -- because he isn't good at hitting them. It really wouldn't be tough to find a righty-hitting outfielder who could just hit lefties better than Mackowiak. Mackowiak's value is in his defensive versatility first and foremost and then his stick against righties but he's definately one of the last guys on the team you want facing lefties. Just for a comparison, Neifi Perez hits lefties better than Mackowiak.

Edited by SSH2005