Not going to panic yet, but something bothers me

aboz56

Right now one thing really bothers me and it is just how bad 2 of our bullpen guys are...

KW should have done better research on Hermy to find out whether he was going to be ready for the season.

Now we are stuck with a suspect bullpen due to Logan and Thornton.

I don't think we're going to be able to count on those guys if we want to win the division again.

The pen, quite frankly is just sad. IMO neither Logan or Thornton should be on a MLB roster.

And using Logan against Hafner the other day was a joke.

Spending over $100 million on the team and to have these two guys out there in the pen to me is just bad management by KW.

I think we're going to be fine, but KW needs to look at the pen and think to himself, I f***ed this up and I need to make it right. Neither Logan or Thornton are going to cut it. We need help down there.

Edited by aboz56

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that bothers me is that there seems to be no, what's the word, chemistry yet. Things just seemed to flow last year and so far thius year, everything is a struggle.

It is hard to put into words what I mean, so hope everyong gets my point.

Hopefully Dye comes back soon.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
We're not 1-4 because of Logan and Thorton.

Technically one of those losses could be pinned on Logan. However, I'd rather put the blame of that game on our offense for stranding 20 plus. Today Politte got hit up and it was one of our so called better relievers who got the loss.

I only saw the first few innings and the last few, but we look completely flat right now. Vazquez looked real good though.

Clutch hitting. It seems that we have hard times hitting line drives. Our hitter launch pitches into the air, come June yes these pitches will go out, but it isnt June yet. We need to work the count more, and get some line drive swings on the ball.

Again put the ball on the outside corner and you will shut this team down. It has been the same thing for years. We are still hitting like the softball team we had before.

Come June and July this team will put on a home run display like you havent seen before. Hopefully we dont bury ourselves by then.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Right now one thing really bothers me and it is just how bad 2 of our bullpen guys are...

KW should have done better research on Hermy to find out whether he was going to be ready for the season.

I don't think we're going to be able to count on those guys if we want to win the division again. 

The pen, quite frankly is just sad.  IMO neither Logan or Thornton should be on a MLB roster.

Spending over $100 million on the team and to have these two guys out there in the pen to me is just bad management by KW.

I think we're going to be fine, but KW needs to look at the pen and think to himself, I f***ed this up and I need to make it right.  Neither Logan or Thornton are going to cut it.  We need help down there.

While I agree, Garland and Garcia haven't given this team a damn chance so far. I know they will improve and our bullpen probably won't, but you can't blame our s*** start so far on the bullpen.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
We're not 1-4 because of Logan and Thorton.

Logan gave up a gopher ball to Hafner.

But that wasn't his fault in all reality because a guy should never jump from A ball to the majors like that, especially being thrown in there against Hafner.

Just shows how thin we are in bullpen depth.

Right now I'd rather see Tim Redding out there than Logan.

Bottom line is that we are not executing right now. However, it is no excuse to have a bullpen this questionable. This team will go nowhere with a bad bullpen and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who will disagree with that.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)

The pen, quite frankly is just sad.  IMO neither Logan or Thornton should be on a MLB roster.

I think we're going to be fine, but KW needs to look at the pen and think to himself, I f***ed this up and I need to make it right.  Neither Logan or Thornton are going to cut it.  We need help down there.

You are so correct on all points. How the heck could we go into this season with Logan and Thornton? How do let Logan pitch to Hafner?

They won with pitching and got stupid with this bullpen.

This needs to be fixed now -but how??????

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
While I agree, Garland and Garcia haven't given this team a damn chance so far. I know they will improve and our bullpen probably won't, but you can't blame our s*** start so far on the bullpen.

Cliffe Politte gave up a 2 run homer when we lead by 1. We lost a game to the Indians because we gave up a lead. Sounds like the bullpen has had a part in our s*** start.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Cliffe Politte gave up a 2 run homer when we lead by 1. We lost a game to the Indians because we gave up a lead. Sounds like the bullpen has had a part in our s*** start.

Im sorry I meant to say you can't blame everything on our bullpen.

Basically our whole team is playing like s*** and when one part is doing good the other part is sucking it up. The team is not together at all. Hopefully they will all get it together in unison pretty damn soon.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Since he isn't starting, perhaps we could actually utilize McCarthy?

McCarthy bottom line needs to be a 6th-7th inning guy and not in long relief.

Redding would be better suited for long relief in a blowout game and not B-Mac.

We don't have enough depth at the end, especially with how bad Politte and Jenks have looked, to just get by with Cotts, Jenks and Politte at the end.

If we are using B-Mac in the pen, put him to good use.

No reason Thornton or Logan should even be on this roster to begin with.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Logan gave up a gopher ball to Hafner.

But that wasn't his fault in all reality because a guy should never jump from A ball to the majors like that, especially being thrown in there against Hafner.

The Sox had more than enough chances to win that game after the Hafner home run.

And giving up a HR to Hafner isn't exactly an idictment on any pitcher.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
McCarthy bottom line needs to be a 6th-7th inning guy and not in long relief.

Redding would be better suited for long relief in a blowout game and not B-Mac.

We don't have enough depth at the end, especially with how bad Politte and Jenks have looked, to just get by with Cotts, Jenks and Politte at the end.

If we are using B-Mac in the pen, put him to good use.

No reason Thornton or Logan should even be on this roster to begin with.

Agree 100%

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)

But if our bullpen isn't going to improve, something needs to be done. KW might have to sacrifice some of our starting pitching depth for another arm in the 'pen. I hope that Garcia is healthy and improves over the next couple of months, because I think that he's the one to move (inconsistent, not young anymore, lots of IP under his belt). Maybe something along the lines of Garcia and Politte to Anaheim for Shields and Weaver?

Then again, it's going to take another month or so before anybody can accurately evaluate this team.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)

Don't expect any help coming from our depleted minor league system. Nothing valuable is coming from down there for a few years.

During Spring Training we've all witnessed the pride of our organization give up LEAD after LEAD in the late innings. Lopez may be the best option available and even he will be hit around in the majors.

How could they actually think they weren't going to have bullpen trouble? Everyone in MLB questioned it? Boone Logan got alot of minor leagers out in spring training so his stock went up. Thorton was a bust in Seattle so why think he was going to turn it around here? To start the season with this mess is rediculous.

This will force Ozzie to keep the starters in to long which will wear those guys out.

You tell me there was not better options then Logan and Thornton?

Aw heck, i want Everett, Rowand, Timo, El Duque, Viscaiano, and Marte back ....

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
But if our bullpen isn't going to improve, something needs to be done.  KW might have to sacrifice some of our starting pitching depth for another arm in the 'pen.  I hope that Garcia is healthy and improves over the next couple of months, because I think that he's the one to move (inconsistent, not young anymore, lots of IP under his belt).  Maybe something along the lines of Garcia and Politte to Anaheim for Shields and Weaver?

Then again, it's going to take another month or so before anybody can accurately evaluate this team.

Shields has thrown a lot of innings the past few years, he's not someone to target.

It'll be hard to pull off any trades anytime soon since its so damn early in the year.

I think we should get Logan back in the minors and then rarely use Thornton. Although neither looked good in ST, I think both Tracey and Redding would be better than Logan.

I am still at a loss of words as to how Logan went from A ball to the majors just because he had a good spring training. Just a bad, bad move.

I knew we'd miss Marte and Viz and I wrote it in my first column. It's holding true so far.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
But if our bullpen isn't going to improve, something needs to be done.  KW might have to sacrifice some of our starting pitching depth for another arm in the 'pen.  I hope that Garcia is healthy and improves over the next couple of months, because I think that he's the one to move (inconsistent, not young anymore, lots of IP under his belt).  Maybe something along the lines of Garcia and Politte to Anaheim for Shields and Weaver?

Well while some people are talking about trading for a backup outfielder maybe trading for a reliever would better suit this team. I don't mean a freaking Matt Thornton either. I understand that a good arm is a lot harder to get than a backup outfielder, but still.

KW better be thinking about doing something quick because all his work of getting Thome and Vazquez will be spoiled if we don't get some freaking good arms in the bullpen.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)

No need for another month. Be proactive and use your imagination. I imagine that if we don't do anything, we're going to lose a lot of games like we did today. We need at least 1 more reliable bullpen arm, at a minimum, to be successful. I don't think we can count on Hermanson for that.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
KW better be thinking about doing something quick because all his work of getting Thome and Vazquez will be spoiled if we don't get some freaking good arms in the bullpen.

You are right, without a good pen we will not hold leads or be able to win close games. Which is how we won a World Title.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
You are right, without a good pen we will not hold leads or be able to win close games.  Which is how we won a World Title.

we are missing 2 things so far this year:

any sort of a bullpen and timely hitting.

We had both last year and it allowed us to win these close games without even breaking a sweat it seemed like.

The hitting will come around, pretty sure of that.

As far as the bullpen goes, I think Bmac is going to be a HUGE part of our team this year. He is going to have to be that anchor, the one that eats up innings.

Then after him, we need a closer to emerge, jenks could be that guy, but we just don't know yet.