Top 10 Pitching Combinations

rventura23

I guess leading baseball in quality starts in 2005 and 4 complete games in playoffs mean nothing. SI just sucks all the east coast ass kissing they can do and that will never change! Some of these guys have sucked for 2 or 3 years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a lot of balls considering that Contreras was the MVP of a World Series winner, and Buehrle started the freaking All Star game.

Anyway, here are my Top 10 in no particular order. And if you don't like it, you can go f*** yourself.

Contreras/Buehrle

Harden/Blanton

Schmidt/Morris

Prior/Zambrano

Halladay/Burnett

Carpenter/Mulder

Oswalt/Pettite

Hudson/Smoltz

Colon/Lackey

Santana/Radke

Remember, Radke was Top 20 in WHIP last year. Ooooh yeeeaaah. :D

f*** Barry Zito.

I know that the Schmidt/Morris pairing is kind of a questionable selection. Morris ain't nowhere near what he once was, but he's still pretty good, and heavily slept-on in fantasy circles. Yeah, his second half stats from last year are trash.

Does Hudson suck now? Probably not, although his numbers kind of worry me a bit. What's up with that guy?

Umm, and if Schilling is healthy, I have news for y'all. Him and Beckett are top 10 without question. I will hold off for the time being, as Curt's numbers were ATROCIOUS last year. I'm talking Hall Of Shame type numbers.

Feel free to tear my baseball thoughts to shreds. I've been getting that a lot lately.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
I think Halladay/Burnett may be the biggest joke of 'em all.  Halladay is a Cy Young type pitcher, but what the hell has Burnett ever done to merit any praise?  Even when he ain't hurt, the guy is a career sub-.500 pitcher, and he pitched on some pretty decent Marlins teams.  He's basically the slightly less injured version of Kerry Wood.

Burnett hasn't established much, and he gets s***ted on all the time, but him and the HOF caliber Halladay have to be Top 10. They have to be.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Umm, and if Schilling is healthy, I have news for y'all.  Him and Beckett are top 10 without question.  I will hold off for the time being, as Curt's numbers were ATROCIOUS last year.  I'm talking Hall Of Shame type numbers.

To bad they'll both be on the dl in a month.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
To bad they'll both be on the dl in a month.

Yeah. :D

It's hard to do these combos because damn near all of these guys are gimps. You have to eliminate Schilling/Beckett, Halladay/Burnett, Oswalt/Pettite, etc.

Hey, I have one:

Bonderman/Verlander

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Yeah.  :D

It's hard to do these combos because damn near all of these guys are gimps.  You have to eliminate Schilling/Beckett, Halladay/Burnett, Oswalt/Pettite, etc. 

Hey, I have one:

Bonderman/Verlander

It really is hard to do this, once you get to about 7 it gets kind of bad. I can argue 2 White Sox combos and 2 A's combos before some of the ones further down. It's tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, S/I has published some type of top ten pitching duo list. Anyone see this in the Sun~Times today? Buehrle and Contreras were not on the list but Carlos Zambrano and Mark Prior were. Um, Prior has yet to pitch and inning and Zambrono is 0-1. They have no business on the list. But to add insult to injury, not only should Buehrle and Contreras be on the list, they should be on top of it.

I have not been able to find the list on line. Anyone have it? But Sports Illustrated should change their name to just plain Illustrated. I had no respect for S/I to begin with but this is just poor work for a sports magazine. What are they thinking?

Spahn-Sain (1947 BOSN)

Koufax-Drysdale (1963 LAD)

McLain-Lolich (1968 DET)

Ryan-Scott (1986 HOU)

Maddux-Glavine (1995 ATL)

Tudor-Andujar (1985 STL)

Johnson-Moyer (1997 SEA)

Palmer-Cuellar (1972 BAL)

Morris-Petry (1984 DET)

Clemens-Mussina (2001 NYY)

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
Yeah.  :D

It's hard to do these combos because damn near all of these guys are gimps.  You have to eliminate Schilling/Beckett, Halladay/Burnett, Oswalt/Pettite, etc. 

Hey, I have one:

Bonderman/Verlander

In a couple of years, green wont be necassary

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
Spahn-Sain (1947 BOSN)

Koufax-Drysdale (1963 LAD)

McLain-Lolich (1968 DET)

Ryan-Scott (1986 HOU)

Maddux-Glavine (1995 ATL)

Tudor-Andujar (1985 STL)

Johnson-Moyer (1997 SEA)

Palmer-Cuellar (1972 BAL)

Morris-Petry (1984 DET)

Clemens-Mussina (2000 NYY)

I think that Johnson-Schilling (ARI 2001) deserve a spot on that list over either Johnson-Moyer or Clemens-Mussina.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
first of all mussina and clemens combined 24-23 in 2000

second (and more importantly) they were not on the same team in 2000

My guess is he meant 2001, because yea, they weren't on the same team in 2000. They were pretty damn good in 2001 too.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
if you want to go way back to 1904 Joe McGinnity and Christy Mathewson went 68-20 combined (they were 1-2 in wins and no other pitcher was within 10 wins)

Hell, in 1884 Charley Radbourn went 59-12 with a 1.38 ERA all by his lonesome. :o

of course none of that s*** counts seeing how he also had 73 GS and 73 CG that season, that's why we split things up and really only count stats from the modern era.