harold baines first base coach?

BlizzardOfOzzie

Just curious - weren't they supposed to swap positions and Raines be bench coach and Baines be at 1st base? I could swear I've seen Raines at 1st base all year so far? Are my eyes deceiving me here? After all, only one letter is the difference in their last names. But Harold is way taller than Tim. It seems to me that Tim is the one who's been at 1st base all year.

QUOTE(BlizzardOfOzzie @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Just curious - weren't they supposed to swap positions and Raines be bench coach and Baines be at 1st base?  I could swear I've seen Raines at 1st base all year so far?  Are my eyes deceiving me here?  After all, only one letter is the difference in their last names.  But Harold is way taller than Tim.  It seems to me that Tim is the one who's been at 1st base all year.

Harold has been at first all season not Raines.

QUOTE(BlizzardOfOzzie @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Okay - so it was the identical spelling except the first frickin' letter that threw me off.  Alright, thanks for clearing up that not-so-important tidbit of information!

A couple more tidbits for you:

That's not Hulk Hogan pitching middle relief, and it's not a loaf of Rye bread in right field.

You're welcome.

:P :D

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I love Harold. But he seems too quite out there. Raines was energetic and aggresive.

1B coach is quite possibly the least important managerial position on a baseball field whether he shows energy or he stands there like a statue it's really not going to make any difference at all.

And I really don't know what you mean by aggressive, he doesn't call for SBs or anything so I'm not really sure where his level of aggression comes in.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
What the hell does a bench coach do anyway?  Besides take over when Ozzie gets tossed?

Special advisor mainly, he's his right hand man and a guy like Raines with his baserunnig prowis can aid Ozzie with decisions on when to call a hit and run or run and hit or when to attempt a stolen base, s*** like that.

I know the best thing about having Joe Nossek as the bench coach was that he had an amazing ability to steal signs from the opposing team.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
What the hell does a bench coach do anyway?  Besides take over when Ozzie gets tossed?

eat sunflower seeds. Talk to the players. relay some signs.

I think they wanted Raines on the bench so he could talk to the players before there at bat.