Anything up for Friday's Cubs vs Sox game?

Controlled Chaos

I tailgate for every game I go to but I am not going to Friday's game. I will be out there on Saturday. I wonder if they will find a reason to put an end to tailgating after this year. With a huge payroll, they may want to draw that food revenue inside. It would be a shame if they did but if it means another year of quality players, I would give it up.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
Last year I wasn't excited about the crosstown, because of our early success etc. However for some reason I'm pretty excited about the series starting this weekend.

i'm just looking forward to the complete mismatch these series are going to be.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)

lets hope. IN pervious years, the underdog usually has the advantage. Of course the Cell should be more one-sided fanwise than previous years.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)

Of all the men against boys mismatches we've been involved in this season this is the absolute worst of em. Nothing less than a sweep would be acceptable.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Of all the men against boys mismatches we've been involved in this season this is the absolute worst of em. Nothing less than a sweep would be acceptable.

I want 5 of 6 wins from the season series.

and that could happen with ease.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
I got a funny feeling about this weekend. This has classic over confident vs nothing to lose written all over it. I really hope this series does not wake up the Cubs, giving them the movitation they are severely lacking right now.

I don't like this situation...if we win, we are supposed to...if we lose, its a joke. However, it will be plenty sweet if we sweep them. :fthecubs

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Tony + SS2k,

I agree completely.

Its as if some people think an underdog has never won a game before.

Anything can happen, and I hope that the White Sox prepare for this series as if the Cubs are the best team in the NL.

I feel the same way. It always seemed that the sox won when we werent supposed to.

Everybody's right: this is essentially the Chicago World Series every year and if everybody thinks the Cubs are going to lay down, watch out.

Plus, they're in such dire shape right now that wins over the WS champions may be just what they're seeking to energize them and their fan base.

I would treat them like we treated Houston in the WS--hopefully the outcome will be the same.

That aside, how great would it be to sweep their asses and sign Dusty's pink slip?

I will be there Friday/Saturday/Sunday, tailgating in lot A probably. I would tend to agree that the series has lost some of its appeal, given how poorly the Cubs are playing. But as everyone else has pointed out, you never know what can happen.

Its always a great series for me and friends/family for all of the ribbing that goes on.

:gosox1:

Sox want to add to Cubs' misery

May 16, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

MINNEAPOLIS -- Winning the 2005 World Series should've changed a lot in the White Sox organization. In many ways it did.

National recognition for unheralded players such as Joe Crede and Juan Uribe.

Redemption for players who were once written off such as Jose Contreras and A.J. Pierzynski.

And while many things definitely changed, one stayed very much the same.

Case in point: Late Saturday afternoon, as the Sox were in the clubhouse hours before their game against Minnesota, both plasma TVs were locked on the Cubs game, in which the North Siders were clinging to a ninth-inning lead.

The snickering and comments coming from several Sox players could be heard, even before Mike Piazza's game-winning home run dropped into the basket at Wrigley Field.

Some wounds never heal.

While many Sox players will babble out the same ''It's just another series'' rhetoric they do every year at the start of Sox-Cubs week, don't believe it for one second.

Being first in the city to get the sought-after ring hasn't changed the fact that the Sox would love nothing more than to kick the Cubs while they're down. And down they are.

What better time to do it, with everything seemingly set up just right this weekend at U.S. Cellular Field?

The bats woke up in Minnesota after two slumbering performances. Friday's starting pitcher, Mark Buehrle, fixed a flaw in his delivery that was tipping his pitches. Six-game winner Freddy Garcia is on the mound for Saturday's game with a career 3-0 record (0.82 ERA) against the Cubs, and then there's Contreras.

The best pitcher on the staff since last July, bar none, took yet another huge step in getting off the 15-day disabled list on Monday morning. Contreras threw about 75 pitches from all arm angles in the bullpen, with his stuff looking as nasty as it has been this season.

While he won't exactly be riding in on a white horse in his return, it doesn't mean there won't be a certain buildup for it.

''Obviously, they will make a big deal,'' Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said of his pitcher's expected return from sciatica. ''I don't mind him facing anyone, but when you face the Cubs, I know it's something that's going on for the fans.

''Having Jose, he's been the most consistent pitcher we've had the last two months of last year and the beginning of the season this year. You want the best guy.''

With a 5-0 record and a 1.41 ERA, Contreras arguably is the best -- not just on both sides of the city but in the entire American League.

''There's nothing better than when your guy throwing the ball the best goes against a team you should beat or play good against,'' Guillen continued.

Pitching coach Don Cooper monitored Contreras' latest throwing session, and while he was doing his best to reserve judgment until Contreras' return is official, Cooper was beaming with anticipation of what the Cubs will have to face in Sunday's series finale.

''He wanted to get a good workout, and he got it,'' Cooper said of the latest session. ''When he has an [injury], we want to make sure he has a couple of times to get it out of his head. And [Monday] it sure looks like it was out of his head.

''I'll tell you what, it sure looks like we are going in the right direction.''

At least one team in the upcoming Crosstown Showdown can say that.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 16, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
I pretty much despise everything Cowley has written in the last year or so. He epitomizes the medias obsession with trash news reporting and writes every article with such a negative and twisted slant it makes me sick.

He was on the score a few weeks ago, right after the playboy mansion visit, and I really liked his radio personality, but his writing sucks.