Corey Patterson

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson ends the night at .306 for the BA, as in his last 3 appearances he pads the OBP with a 4 pitch walk, a HBP, and another walk. Ends up 3 for 3, reaching all 6 appearances, hits a homer, has an RBI, steals 2 bases (now 15 for 16), and scores 3 times.

Also a fun stat, Chris Ray the Orioles closer came in to get the last out of the 8th with Baltimore up 5-4 and a man on 3rd. The O's scored 9 in the top of the 9th, and Ray pitched a perfect 9th to get the save in a game that ended up with a 14-4 final.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

After we acquired Vazquez, and Garland had turned down a deal, I said that I would take Patterson off the Cubs hands if they tossed in a couple arms, with Sean Marshall and Ricky Nolasco being the arms in question.

They're both in the majors right now, but for the White Sox, they'd be making the best farm team in baseball even better.

I too have been following Patterson since he left the Cubs. As it stands now it appears the Baltimore Orioles got away with murder they only had to give up Nate Spears and Carlos Perez for him. Patterson will make between 2.8 and 3.4 million this year in playing time incentives. I think Corey got a bad rap by the Cubs front office, they needed a scape goat (no pun intended) and whom better to serve up then their highly touted 5 tool player Korey Patterson who was having a down year. I feel the reason Corey struggled is as follows: he never had a defined role in the batting order, horrid coaching and a manager who doesn't believe in walks or holding his players accountable.

::puts on flame-retardant suit & Brian Anderson jersey::

Now I have a hypothetical question here for everyone: the Orioles who are most likely going to be in the cellar all year long with the D-Rays in the Al East, they need pitching badly, would they be willing to give up Corey Patterson to a contender like the White Sox for pitching prospects and/or Anderson?

I'm a huge Anderson supporter but I realize there are going to be growing pains at the plate (Joe Crede) and as it stands now Kenny wants to have a constant contender along with winning it all again this year and for years to come. What better way to enhance the line up and maintain sterling defense along with making the Cubs front office look foolish than acquire 1998 first round, third over all draft pick Corey Patterson?

Anderson is only 24 and Patterson is only 26, I feel their defense is a wash. Patterson in my eyes has the potential to be a 30/30 caliber player and I think he might finally be living up to his potential at the major league level.

This would be the line up as of today

# Name Bats AVG HR RBI SB/CS BB SO OBP AGE

22 Scott Podsednik L .282 1 12 18/6 22 22 376 30

15 Tadahito Iguchi R .307 6 23 4/3 13 37 363 31

25 Jim Thome L .303 18 43 0 36 46 439 35

14 Paul Konerko R .313 12 38 0 24 25 399 30

23 Jermaine Dye R .299 12 34 3/1 20 24 406 32

12 A.J. Pierzynski L .343 2 13 0 8 18 392 29

24 Joe Crede R .291 8 30 0 9 14 329 28

17 Corey Patterson L .306 5 18 15/3 8 19 358 26

5 Juan Uribe R .197 3 13 0 6 27 233 27

*Charts are fun

That line up is so well blacened and stacked which is why it probably will not happen :P.

I think if we had Corey as our eight hitter it would give a lot more protection to Juan and at the same time Juan would have to more selective at the plate and not give ABs away. Also Ross Gload would most likely have to give up the # 17 to Patterson. :gosoxretro:

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 24, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
After we acquired Vazquez, and Garland had turned down a deal, I said that I would take Patterson off the Cubs hands if they tossed in a couple arms, with Sean Marshall and Ricky Nolasco being the arms in question.

They're both in the majors right now, but for the White Sox, they'd be making the best farm team in baseball even better.

There was a suggestion or 2 on here about the White Sox trading for Corey, but most people here (including myself) wanted to see what BA could do.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The way Patterson's hitting now (and he'll have to keep it up), he would be perfect to have down the lower part of our order.

It was a good deal for Baltimore at the time, and it's good to see for them they're gettin dividends from it.

QUOTE(beautox @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:33 AM)
Anderson is only 24 and Patterson is only 26, I feel their defense is a wash. Patterson in my eyes has the potential to be a 30/30 caliber player and I think he might finally be living up to his potential at the major league level.

I disagree with this. Corey Patterson has amazing makeup speed which allows him to correct fielding mistakes he is making as he is making them. He rarely gets good jumps on balls, and when they are hit straight at him he freezes a lot. Brian Anderson is much better defensively right now(as far as I have seen) then Patterson has ever been in his career. THat isnt to say that Patterson can become a better player, because the guy has all the tools(as reported extensively by the Cubs), but right now I think BA is the superior fielder. Offensively, hands down Patterson is better.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:01 AM)
I disagree with this. Corey Patterson has amazing makeup speed which allows him to correct fielding mistakes he is making as he is making them. He rarely gets good jumps on balls, and when they are hit straight at him he freezes a lot. Brian Anderson is much better defensively right now(as far as I have seen) then Patterson has ever been in his career. THat isnt to say that Patterson can become a better player, because the guy has all the tools(as reported extensively by the Cubs), but right now I think BA is the superior fielder. Offensively, hands down Patterson is better.

lol @ ^^^.

Maybe i gave Patterson a little to much credit for his D. but i digress i would much rather have him in CF than Mackowiak. Anderson has nothing but talent and im in his corner but as i stated watching him at the plate is painful, and watching Rob in CF is equally as painful not nearly Ozuna painful but its up there. i would much rather have a more complete CFer who has no where to go but up defensively and as you stated the tools to do so and also appears to have found himself at the plate and is now entering his best years.

Do you think it would be possible to get him?

QUOTE(beautox @ May 24, 2006 -> 07:31 AM)
Do you think it would be possible to get him?

Not really. I think Matos would be the one to go out of the Orioles outfield before anyone else. The Orioles are trying to rebuild into something close to what they used to be and I think Patterson is part of that.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 24, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
What are his walk and strikeout totals?

111 at-bats 19 Ks, 8 BB

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4239

he is having a pretty good season so far. Similar to the season he was having when he blew out his knee

Anderson>Corey Patterson. A month of decent play doesnt make a player. We have seen what Corey Patterson is capable of, and that is a flailing mess at the plate. Give it to the all star break, and if he is over .270 I will take another look. His defense is pitiful by the way, im surprised anyone is backing that up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Anderson>Corey Patterson. A month of decent play doesnt make a player. We have seen what Corey Patterson is capable of, and that is a flailing mess at the plate. Give it to the all star break, and if he is over .270 I will take another look. His defense is pitiful by the way, im surprised anyone is backing that up.

wow. Im Sure both the Dodgers and Reds felt the same way about Konerko. Paterson is only 26 and is coming from a crap ass organization. I bet he'll be over .270 after the ASB your on :cheers. After this year Patterson's contract is over, some people are suggesting that the O's are going to hold on to him, I Doubt it, they will filp him for pitching.

QUOTE(beautox @ May 24, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
wow. Im Sure both the Dodgers and Reds felt the same way about Konerko. Paterson is only 26 and is coming from a crap ass organization. I bet he'll be over .270 after the ASB your on :cheers. After this year Patterson's contract is over, some people are suggesting that the O's are going to hold on to him, I Doubt it, they will filp him for pitching.

Ill take that bet b**** :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Anderson>Corey Patterson. A month of decent play doesnt make a player. We have seen what Corey Patterson is capable of, and that is a flailing mess at the plate.

There is no denying that he was dreadful at the plate in 2005. His splits are a nightmare.

I picked him up on my fantasy squad back in late April, and I figured that others in my league would call me an idiot.

Here's the crazy part, though. He has almost as many SBs (15) as strikeouts (19) in 111 ABs. I'm thinking that he has 40 SBs in the bag this year, barring injury. And if he can continue to keep the strikeouts down, he could finish with a .280+ AVG and a .340+ OBP.

And as far as his defense is concerned, I can assure you that he is not pitiful. His reads aren't spectacular, but they're respectable. And his recovery speed is unbelievable. BA blows him out of the f***ing water, obviously, but Patterson is not a bum out there with the glove. He is most definitely an above average defensive CF, all things considered. As Sox fans, we have ridiculous standards, what with Rowand and Anderson.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:01 AM)

That is a very good assessment of Patterson's defense. Patterson is a below avg defensive cf. He has insane range and a strong arm for a CF, but he gets horrid jumps and has trouble making good catches on the run. I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to be a very good CF, but he hasn't exactly made strides defensively since reaching the majors.

BA is head and shoulders one of the premier defensive centerfielders in just his rookie season. If he could hit .250 (and I think in time, with patience he'll turn into a .270ish hitter a year or two down the road) he will be very very important.

His upside is TORRI HUNTER (mediocre offense with some pop and good speed, exceptional defense).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 24, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
That is a very good assessment of Patterson's defense. Patterson is a below avg defensive cf. He has insane range and a strong arm for a CF, but he gets horrid jumps and has trouble making good catches on the run. I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent to be a very good CF, but he hasn't exactly made strides defensively since reaching the majors.

Yeah, I've seen him make quite a few insane plays over the years, but his instincts are not exactly what I would call top notch. He gets to a lot of balls despite his questionable reads, though (that insane range that you refer to). I think that he's an above average defender when you take everything into account, but maybe he'd be a legitimate defensive asset in RF, because he certainly has the arm for it.

QUOTE(beautox @ May 24, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
I was under the Impression Mackowiak was brought here to back up Crede at 3B primarily, and so far this season i don't think he has done that once.

He's played the infield once this year, an inning at 3B. That is all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
He's played the infield once this year, an inning at 3B. That is all.

Yup, beaut is right though, when we first made that trade, Mack was supposed to be insurace for Joe's back or at least that's what mostly everyone thought.

Edited by Rowand44