Official Soxtalk 2006 World Cup Thread

Bocanegra is arguably the best defender the US has yet Bruce Arena doesn't play him. A very successful Premiership player and he came up with the Fire.

This Tunisia/Saudi Arabia game is pretty boring. 1 good goal.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
Bruce only had him out at one Friendly just to cap him. He wasnt in the heart of qualifying so even if he was healthy he would of been a long shot.

Spector Boca Gooch would of been a nice backline. Tall, athletic, and quick.

I saw quite a lot of Spector last season (he played for the team I follow..) and I have to say that he was a bit of a disappointment. He's not particularly quick, and not very composed in possession. His passing was also very poor.

He was competitive and always gave 100%, but I don't think he's ready for international football (not at the highest level, anyway).

A permanent move to a "lesser" Premiership club than Man Utd will do him some good (I hear he might be going to West Ham). He'll get enough playing time to improve on his overall game, and he might finally find a position to make his own - He gets played at Right Back, Left Back or Center Back at the moment, and that isn't helping him at all.

He has lots of potential, but unless he gets to play regularly, I don't think that he'll fulfill it.

Incredible!! The Germans hit the crossbar on 2 consecutive shots before having a 3rd shot (and goal) taken away on an offsides at the 90 minute mark. But only 1 minute later, the Germans make an incredible run and score the goal to beat (and all but eliminate) Poland 1-0.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Incredible!! The Germans hit the crossbar on 2 consecutive shots before having a 3rd shot (and goal) taken away on an offsides at the 90 minute mark. But only 1 minute later, the Germans make an incredible run and score the goal to beat (and all but eliminate) Poland 1-0.

Yeah, Poland was playing for a draw after the red card, really unfortunate that they had to take the loss there considering just how well Bourac played. That being said, with the Poles and the US all but eliminated I need a new side to root for, any ideas?

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Yeah, Poland was playing for a draw after the red card, really unfortunate that they had to take the loss there considering just how well Bourac played. That being said, with the Poles and the US all but eliminated I need a new side to root for, any ideas?

I root for Italy when the U.S. is eliminated since I am pretty much 100 percent Italian in background, but I can't do that since the U.S. plays Italy next. However after Italy wins that game and finishes off the U.S., I'll probably root for them. But then again, I don't know your ethnic background, so I'm sure that did nothing to help :P

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)

Serbia. Do it. See: Avy

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I root for Italy when the U.S. is eliminated since I am pretty much 100 percent Italian in background, but I can't do that since the U.S. plays Italy next. However after Italy wins that game and finishes off the U.S., I'll probably root for them. But then again, I don't know your ethnic background, so I'm sure that did nothing to help :P

I wish the Irish got into the tourney. Damien Duff can cause havoc in the midfield. And so can Robbie Keane. The irish have the talent, but seem to just come up short in qualifying. But we had to tie the f***ing swiss at home to miss the playoff on the last matchday.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)

:ph34r: :britishflag: :ph34r:

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 06:37 AM)
Sounds like shots at Arena http://my.whitesox.v.mlb.com/newsarticle.a...rticleId=701923

Don't follow the US team that much, but found it a little odd that Arena blasted Donovan and Beasley in public. Isn't he the one playing them out of position?

Is it common in soccer(as in in Europe) to be so open about your players to the media? Not even Ozzie would do something like this to a current player.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 03:08 AM)
A permanent move to a "lesser" Premiership club than Man Utd will do him some good (I hear he might be going to West Ham). He'll get enough playing time to improve on his overall game, and he might finally find a position to make his own - He gets played at Right Back, Left Back or Center Back at the moment, and that isn't helping him at all.

He has lots of potential, but unless he gets to play regularly, I don't think that he'll fulfill it.

Yep it's going to be confirmed (will be nice to have a Chicago connection at my club);

Manchester United defender Jonathan Spector has all but completed a transfer to West Ham, sources close to the player have revealed.

With rumors of an impending transfer looming for the Illinois native, the East London Premiership side has beaten a number of interested clubs to the services of the player whose 2005/06 campaign ended prematurely following a shoulder injury in May that required surgery.

Details of the transfer and contract were not immediately available, but an official announcement by West Ham is expected on Thursday.

My Dad is from Ecuador and probably hasn't slept since the 2-0 victory over Poland. Ecuador is leading Costa Rica 1-0 in probably the biggest match in Ecuador's history. If they advance to the next round, that country will party like never before.

Vamos carajo, vamos!!!

Edited by LosMediasBlancas