2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to clutter PHT with another upper/downer thread, so I just want to point to this post:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...d=1287596

Take a look at those numbers, and let them sink in. Despite Minnesota's seemingly unbeatable nature, and Detroit's staggering early season lead, and our inability to get on a run... we have made up 7 games on the Tigers in a little over a month. And we've only lost 2 on Minnesota. Further, though its been painful, the Sox are actually over .500 during that stretch.

Combine all that with Minnesota's injuries and Detroit's free fall, and I don't think its blind homerism to say we have a decent shot at the post-season. We've got a decent chance.

Detroit is definitely shaking right now just as we were last September.

The Twins look damn good still.

We win one, lose one. Hanging in by a thread.

If we can keep getting reasonable starting pitching (especially head to head against

Detroit in the 3 game set) we got a chance.

I don't like our chances of overtaking the Twins, but Det ... it's possible, tho

not probable. We've just been too inconsistent.

Even today ... what's that s*** from Iguchi?

I'm stating the obvious here but it's quite clear that regardless of how good some think this offense is, it almost always gets shut down by good pitching. If we should get in the playoffs, then I hope we get the Skankees, cause that's the team with the weakest pitching, other than ours. The Twins and the A's will mow us down in detail. The National League has the Astros, but they won't make the playoffs.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm stating the obvious here but it's quite clear that regardless of how good some think this offense is, it almost always gets shut down by good pitching. If we should get in the playoffs, then I hope we get the Skankees, cause that's the team with the weakest pitching, other than ours. The Twins and the A's will mow us down in detail. The National League has the Astros, but they won't make the playoffs.

Neither the A's nor Twins have nearly the offense the Yankees do.

It's just a matter of getting there and hoping that the pitching can do it's job, and hoping the offense can scratch 4 runs across the board. Or if you are playing the Yankees, hoping the offense can scratch like 18 runs together.

Hopefully the rest of the clubhouse hears about this. Sandy's spent a lot of time in Chicago over the past 5 years...3 different stints to be specific...and I hope this gives them the motivation to try and get one more.

Sandy's a class act, and I'd hate to see him leave the game without a ring, especially considering how many winning teams he's been on.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
With our luck, Kenny would probably resign him to.

Better win that ring, our we will have a senior citizan as our catcher again next season.

He might only be, what?, 41, 42? But he looks like he is in his 50's.

Freddy Garcia says he still calls a damn fine game, even if he does walk with a cane.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
How come, heads? Why no Olivo?

For starters, his departure was not exactly pleasant on his end and the remarks of some in the organization as to his catching ability did not help matters either. I'd say there's about as much of a chance of Carlos Lee comming back as there is Olivo returning to the south side.

Also Miguel Olivo is basically Victor Martinez with a stronger arm and none of the offensive ability.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
For starters, his departure was not exactly pleasant on his end and the remarks of some in the organization as to his catching ability did not help matters either. I'd say there's about as much of a chance of Carlos Lee comming back as there is Olivo returning to the south side.

Also Miguel Olivo is basically Victor Martinez with a stronger arm and none of the offensive ability.

Are you suggesting that we will get both Olivo AND Lee back?

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Starters only numbers are very easy to obtain. Go to MLB.com standings page and click the vs. LHP option.

We've had 5 more games against LH starters than any other team in baseball. (Minny is second)

I assume that stems from the fact that our division has Minny (Johan and Liriano), Cleveland (Lee and Sabathia), Detroit (Rogers, Robertson), and than KC (Odalis Perez, Mark Redman).

These grim but not hopeless percentages come from a site I’m building called Sports Club Stats:

Playoff Race (updated Thursday morning)

What are the chances the White Sox’s will make the playoffs. The percentages are calculated by simulating the rest of the season millions of times and tallying how many times the Sox’s finishes in each position. When I simulate a game I assume both teams have and equal chance of winning.

A 0 means they sometimes finished in that position, but so few times that the percentage rounded to 0. A blank means they never finished in that position.

"Chance will make playoffs" is just the sum of positions 1-4.

Chance will         Chance team will finish at position:     
     make playoffs         1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9     10    11    12    13    14        
White Sox      2.9         0     0     1     2     81    13    3     0     0

Today's Best Games (updated Thursday morning)

I list what the Sox’s "Chance will make playoffs" would be after both possible game outcomes. The diff column just shows the difference between the two numbers.

1.    White Sox vs Mariners
    White Sox’s chance to make playoffs if winner is:
        White Sox        Mariners                   Diff
          4.3                1.5                     2.8

2.    Red Sox vs Twins
        Red Sox             Twins                      Diff
          4.0                1.8                       2.2

3.    Orioles vs Tigers
        Orioles           Tigers                     Diff
          3.2                2.6                   0.5

White Sox general manager Ken Williams didn't sound too good when he called me back on Wednesday afternoon, hours before the White Sox lost to fall 5 ½ behind the Twins for the AL wild-card. He glumly described himself as "day to day.'' And when I asked if anything could improve his mood, he said he was "pretty much going to be ticked off until we're in or we have to deal with the realization we're out of it.''

And if the World Champion White Sox don't make it, Williams said he will have to "stand up, be a man and admit we got our [butts] kicked over 162 games.'' For good measure, he added, "And maybe wish we weren't in the American League Central.'' Williams wouldn't say it, but the White Sox have baseball's sixth-best record and would be in first place in the NL Central or West.

Williams is one of the four or five best GMs in baseball, and one of the many things that makes him great is his intensity and pervasive will to win. So if the White Sox don't make the postseason, it won't be pretty on the South Side, particularly knowing that Williams thought he had another championship-caliber team. "I thought we had a 100-win team at the beginning of the year,'' Williams said, "and I'm disappointed we're going to fall short [of 100 wins].''

He stopped short of blaming anyone, and he doesn't believe it has anything to do with a championship hangover, either. "These are some of the highest caliber guys I've ever been around,'' he said.

Williams also said that while his starters threw more innings than anyone last year he didn't believe they were worn out, and he noted that none of them has spent time on the disabled list. Asked if he had any regrets, he said, "every day.'' But Williams didn't want to detail them for at least another 11 days. "We're not going to go down without a fight,'' he said. "We could very well be standing on the podium at the end.''

But if the White Sox aren't, Williams won't be happy with just one championship in two years. "What am going to do?'' Williams asked rhetorically, "Go home and shine the trophy?''

SI