Jeff Nelson to DL

BigSqwert

http://tinyurl.com/k6dlz

White Sox place Jeff Nelson on 15-day disabled list

CHICAGO -- Prior to today's game vs. Texas, the Chicago White Sox placed reliever Jeff Nelson on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 3) with ulnar neuritis in his right elbow and recalled right-hander Agustin Montero from Class AAA Charlotte.

Nelson, 39, has pitched in six games with the White Sox since his contract was purchased from Charlotte on May 23, allowing one run on three hits in 2.2 IP. Nelson ranks sixth among active pitchers with 798 career appearances.

Montero, 28, pitched in two games with the White Sox after his contract was purchased from Charlotte on May 12, allowing three runs (one earned) on two hits over 3.0 IP. He made his major-league debut on May 12 at Minnesota.

Montero has gone 2-1 with a 2.05 ERA (7 ER/30.2 IP) and one save in 18 relief appearances for the Knights this season. He has struck out 30, walked eight and limited opponents to a .173 (18-104) batting average.

One thing is obvious...the first move the Sox need to make is to acquire a quality reliever or TWO. But it seems that Ozzie likes Montero's arm (which is decent) although I really don't think he has very good stuff.

It doesn't seem like he has much any type of secondary pitch, even though he does have some velocity behind his fastball.

Guest JimH

There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Montero a chance. I totally agree they need someone who can throw 2 innings vs. just 1-2 batters. Personally I don't think Nelson is in game shape yet.

If Montero can come in and fill the Vizcaino role, fantastic. He's thrown the ball extremely well in Charlotte and has good velocity.

Montero is not bad, but where is Javier Lopez. I know he is a lefty, but he has dominated in AAA and has pitched in the majors. I would rather have a lefty who gets outs and have three total, then a righty just for the sake of having a righty. Montero is not a bad option, though, but I just wonder when Lopez's turn might come.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Because Charlie Haeger gets a nervous twitch when anyone mentions Chicago to him? :gosox2:

I missed the game he pitched up here. How is this kids knuckler? In a relief situation, he could be very effective to a few hitters. Going from our starters to a guy who throws a good knuckle ball is very tough.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Montero is not bad, but where is Javier Lopez. I know he is a lefty, but he has dominated in AAA and has pitched in the majors. I would rather have a lefty who gets outs and have three total, then a guy who walks batters left and right.

The Sox really need a righty in the pen right now. Lopez can really only get lefties out which is something Thornton, Cotts and Jenks can do as well. As of this moment they do not have a righty in the pen who can get righties out (other than the closer) which is a huge problem. They must feel Montero atleast has the ability to become an OK arm out of the pen.

Guest JimH
Montero is not bad, but where is Javier Lopez. I know he is a lefty, but he has dominated in AAA and has pitched in the majors. I would rather have a lefty who gets outs and have three total, then a righty just for the sake of having a righty. Montero is not a bad option, though, but I just wonder when Lopez's turn might come.

Javier Lopez hasn't pitched quite as well as his numbers indicate. He would frustrate this board to no end.

I have listened and watched a lot of their games, he seems to go full count on a lot of guys and he gives up his share of hits.

This is not to say he's pitched badly ... he hasn't and his numbers show that. Just saying he hasn't been as dominant as his numbers might indicate.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Javier Lopez hasn't pitched quite as well as his numbers indicate. He would frustrate this board to no end.

I have listened and watched a lot of their games, he seems to go full count on a lot of guys and he gives up his share of hits.

This is not to say he's pitched badly ... he hasn't and his numbers show that. Just saying he hasn't been as dominant as his numbers might indicate.

Also, as I said earlier in the week, the hitting in the International League is pathetic this year. Take a look at the ERAs around the league. Everyone is in the low 3s, it seems like.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Montero a chance. I totally agree they need someone who can throw 2 innings vs. just 1-2 batters. Personally I don't think Nelson is in game shape yet.

If Montero can come in and fill the Vizcaino role, fantastic. He's thrown the ball extremely well in Charlotte and has good velocity.

Anything is better than cliff at this point. Seriously.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
This seems like a convenient "injury" to Nelson.

Agreed.

This might be the reason...

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
Personally I don't think Nelson is in game shape yet.