Pods like Michael Jackson

J-MAN

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
What the heck is up with Pods - can't catch?

That's the second ball in a week he had bounce off his glove - granted neither was an easy catch but he gets paid to make those plays.

actually...i thought he was payed to steal 70 bags a year and hit leadoff. i don't remember his D being in the bargain..lol

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
YEAH!

He's getting paid a LOT of money - how dare he be HUMAN and not make every single play we want him to???

I sure am glad I've never made any mistakes in my life, otherwise I might not have this moral high ground to stand upon and judge others!

Come on those two cathes have to be made. The ball he dropped in Cleveland was worse. He is a below average leftfielder, who now is becoming a below average leadoff hitter. If you are going to get a hit every three games you better play defense. While I continue to ride him, I have never seen a player strike out looking more often then he does on pitches that are right down the middle.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
I love Pods but agree that those catches could have been made. Dye made a bad misplay last night too.

that was a pretty tough catch. Wilkerson had the same chance the day before and looked worse. Not a huge issue.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
YEAH!

He's getting paid a LOT of money - how dare he be HUMAN and not make every single play we want him to???

I sure am glad I've never made any mistakes in my life, otherwise I might not have this moral high ground to stand upon and judge others!

Yeah!

He's getting paid more than any of us are - How dare someone makes a comment about his defense when they cost us runs. Im sure glad that i pay 60 dollars a ticket plus money to pay for a train ride and a taxi and than more money for food but dont have the right to be dissapointed in one of our players defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
He's only stolen like 3 bases this month, 0 in the last week.

There's the concern I have with Scott.

When he's not stealing bases, or at least distracting the opposing pitchers on the bases, it changes the way the Sox have to approach offense. It makes them more like the 2002-4 Sox, reliant on the bomb.

I expect fair-to-subpar defense from Podsednik, so I'm not going to go apes*** when I see it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
He's only stolen like 3 bases this month, 0 in the last week.

he needs to get on base to steal. Of course he is still one of the league leaders, but I guess that doesnt matter.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Thank god he's not signed through next year. It's time to end the Pods experiment in LF.

I hope you are kidding.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
Thank god he's not signed through next year. It's time to end the Pods experiment in LF.

And replace him with who? Ozuna, who doesn't play LF well and whose OBP will be lower? Fields, who hasn't played LF at all and hasn't seen major-league pitching yet?

If Pods fails to put up a .350 OBP and steals less than 30 bases this year (or has significat groin poblems again), I'm all for looking for an alternative. But he currently has a .344 OBP, has already swiped 21 bags, and his healthy, so I don't think that's going to happen. There's no point in replacing him with an inferior player.

my problem with pods defense is that he consistently blows the same play

tell me if I'm wrong, but I can remember 5-6 plays this year where he was ranging to his right, stuck out his glove and just dropped it

thats ok for a season, but its mid-june; he needs extra practice to fix it

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
my problem with pods defense is that he consistently blows the same play

tell me if I'm wrong, but I can remember 5-6 plays this year where he was ranging to his right, stuck out his glove and just dropped it

thats ok for a season, but its mid-june; he needs extra practice to fix it

Some good players make over 20 errors a season. 5-6 plays? fine with me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
Some good players make over 20 errors a season. 5-6 plays? fine with me.

Right Now, Scott is on pace to make about 17 errors in 162 games. He has 3x as many errors as any other Left Fielder in the AL. He has as many errors as Soriano and 1 fewer than Adam Dunn.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Right Now, Scott is on pace to make about 17 errors in 162 games. He has 3x as many errors as any other Left Fielder in the AL. He has as many errors as Soriano and 1 fewer than Adam Dunn.

Anything over 10 is pretty damn bad for a corner outfielder. Only Jermaine Dye had more than 10 among qualified OF's last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)

That means nothing. Have you seen the league leaders in errors at other positions right now? Come on man, talk about really cherry picking some stats. 3x as many erros, you are talking about a difference of 4 errors. That can happen in a weekend, s*** in a game.