Official Ozzie/Mariotti Thread

gojimthome

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
I disagree. Ozzie's ranting make the Sox that much more entertaining ( as if our offensive prowess and great pitching and defense wasn't enough ). He's also saying aloud what thousands of Sox fans already think about that mangina who writes columns for the Sun Times.

Have you considered the real problem with this issue/event?

It is not that Ozzie hates Jay. It is that his hate for Jay is displayed by a homosexual reference. It would seem that Ozzie has such a low opinion/hatred of "gays and ***s", that when lashing back at Jay, he equates him to be a " ***". That would seem to be the real problem. Ozzie can think whatever he wants and exercise free speech, but it comes with repercussions. Homophobia is brutal and intolerable to many.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
Have you considered the real problem with this issue/event?

It is not that Ozzie hates Jay. It is that his hate for Jay is displayed by a homosexual reference. It would seem that Ozzie has such a low opinion/hatred of "gays and ***s", that when lashing back at Jay, he equates him to be a " ***". That would seem to be the real problem. Ozzie can think whatever he wants and exercise free speech, but it comes with repercussions. Homophobia is brutal and intolerable to many.

I see what you're saying, but I really don't buy that Ozzie hates homosexuals. I don't see Ozzie as a homophobe; I see him as a Latin male, and a jock. Both of those cultures are drenched in testosterone and neither makes any real place, openly at any rate, for anything but the heterosexual lifestyle.

What Ozzie I believe MEANT to say was what he said yesterday, in his apology/clarification:

"But I'm not going to back off of Jay. If he wants to know, he should be talking to me here, right now. If he were a man, obviously he'd be here right now."

He's calling Mariotti "less than a man" by OZZIE'S definition of manhood. He used a word to do it that was not cool. But remove that word, and his sentiment stands.

JMO.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
I see what you're saying, but I really don't buy that Ozzie hates homosexuals. I don't see Ozzie as a homophobe; I see him as a Latin male, and a jock. Both of those cultures are drenched in testosterone and neither makes any real place, openly at any rate, for anything but the heterosexual lifestyle.

What Ozzie I believe MEANT to say was what he said yesterday, in his apology/clarification:

"But I'm not going to back off of Jay. If he wants to know, he should be talking to me here, right now. If he were a man, obviously he'd be here right now."

He's calling Mariotti "less than a man" by OZZIE'S definition of manhood. He used a word to do it that was not cool. But remove that word, and his sentiment stands.

JMO.

This essentially sums it up for me. He used a term thats conotation has somewhat changed these days. I don't believe he was referring to Mariotti as a homosexual as much as he was calling him a p*ssy.

Still, the word is quite offensive to the gay community, and understandably so. The word still has a negative association with homosexuals, and if they still find it offensive, who are we to argue with them? Hopefully Ozzie realizes that its still a hurtful term and would find another word when questioning somebody's manhood. And looking at his apology, I think he at least publicly understands this now. Of course, he could start by avoiding angry rants all together, but that just wouldn't be Ozzie.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Fairyotti's official response.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay22.html

Basically a column-long whine fest about how Ozzie is insensitive and contains his call for for Oz to be suspended for 2 weeks.

f*** YOU FAIRYOTTI!!!!!

I couldn't make it past the first sentence:

"Try as I do, it's hard to view sports as some sort of guiding light for humankind."

Huh? WTF? Does ANYONE view sports -- especially pro sports -- as "some sort of guiding light for humankind"?!?!?!

Nothing written from that stupid an opening sentence can possibly be anything but drivel. I'll pass. I'm off to jury duty now, where I doubt that I will find anyone more ignorant than Jay Mariotti -- and anyone who's seen juror pools knows that's a low, low bar. :P

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)

JMO.

Fairyotti isin't a man.....he's a maggot. He's not even dogs***.......he's whats left of dogs*** after the flies get done with it.

What kind of a fairy would constantly write columns baiting Guillen and the Sox then refuse to confront them directly and whine about insensitivity when the Sox fire back at him?

Why are you guys making me feel like a teacher in the Romper Room??

Can't you just use "Ignore"?? Its there for a reason. Moving threads because they end up in a b****fest is getting REAL God damn old people. Learn to act like adults.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Why are you guys making me feel like a teacher in the Romper Room??

Can't you just use "Ignore"?? Its there for a reason. Moving threads because they end up in a b****fest is getting REAL God damn old people. Learn to act like adults.

I agree Capn. This guy obviously has nothing important to add to this site.

Those around in the mid to late 80's might recall the rise of Mike Ditka with the fans & press to and beyond the World Championship in Jan 1986. For a time, outrageous things he said were accepted, as he was the king in this town, but it eventually started wearing thin on the players, and eventually the press. He never backed off, and the team began to fail and eventually he lost his job as the press started criticizing his methods. I hope none of this happens to Ozzie.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)

JMO.

Not arguing your point, but..... you said " I really don't buy that Ozzie hates homosexuals " and then said " Latin males and jocks " are drenched in testosterone and neither makes any real place,...., for anything but the heterosexual lifestyle". That seems conradictory. I guess there is a fine line between hate and " don't like". but nonetheless, callijg Jay a "***" is the lowest compliment he chose to pay him.

What is " less than a man"? Again we are back to " homosexual " and the 3 letter word as an insult and derogatory inference.

The only thing I will back Mariotti up on, is the fact that he mentions that his paper isnt backing him up on this, which every paper should be backing him up on, if he wants to just go down the "he used a slur against me" path. He was on the radio yesterday. I like the slap in the face he gives the Tribune, saying "if the Chicago Tribune as we've all suspected through the years, isnt quite as critical of the Cubs as the SunTimes....heck the SunTimes needs to treat every team equally". Jay is calling out the Trib,

but ive been calling them out for years, but its the first time in a while somone is also calling out the Times too. "were a rival"

As long as he isnt calling him a *** or anything like that. I still think the problem is that Mariotti dosent like chicago sports and he is simply here to cause problems. I think teams do need to be critized by not full time like Mariotti does.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Those around in the mid to late 80's might recall the rise of Mike Ditka with the fans & press to and beyond the World Championship in Jan 1986. For a time, outrageous things he said were accepted, as he was the king in this town, but it eventually started wearing thin on the players, and eventually the press. He never backed off, and the team began to fail and eventually he lost his job as the press started criticizing his methods. I hope none of this happens to Ozzie.

Well, many people seem to have gotten tired of Ozzie's act, but as far as I can tell, there has been no sign that he's going to lose his players, at least any time soon. And to be completely honest, thats all I really care about.

Konerko has no argument with Ozzie

June 22, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

If there were any thoughts outside the White Sox' clubhouse that manager Ozzie Guillen's latest rant about Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti would be a distraction for the players, that was put to rest Wednesday.

"He's going to say whatever he wants,'' first baseman Paul Konerko said. "I'm certainly not going to say anything that's going to make him change the way he is, and I highly doubt anybody is.''

Konerko was asked if it was tough playing for Guillen with all the attention the third-year manager brings to himself.

"Playing for Ozzie has been nothing but good for everybody in this clubhouse, including myself,'' Konerko said. "Playing for Ozzie is a walk in the park.

"He's one of those guys that says what's on his mind, and nowadays, when you've got a million people that are so gray about everything and don't give you a straight answer and say everything that's politically correct, Ozzie's going to stick out like a sore thumb.''

That "sore thumb'' is under even more scrutiny now that he has a World Series title to defend.

"I'll tell you what, we're not going to trade him for anybody else,'' Konerko said. "He's our manager, and there's a lot of people that have been brought in expected to win, that were supposed to be the right guy.

"That's one thing you can't say about Ozzie, that he can't take the heat. He's right in the middle of it all day, and he's got the ring to show you he can do it.''

The media is eating this crap up, and why are these reporters asking him about Mariotti anyway? Just to ignite the fire.

He needs to stick to answering baseball questions, and not questions about how he feels about The Big Hurt or Magglio or Mariotti. That is where he gets into trouble, because he tells them exactly how he feels.

Ozzie deserves to be ripped for using the word "f@g". Homophobia has led to people's deaths. It's a sick attitude toward other human beings not unlike racism. I don't believe Ozzie is a homophobe. But his statements have negative repercussions nonetheless.

And Ozzie also ought to consider for a moment how his constant use of profanity plays for a family game like baseball. I have a 3-year-old son who loves the White Sox. Fortunately, he hasn't a clue what our manager is saying. But what about those whose kids are 10, 11, 12, etc. -- old enough to listen to the post-game show? Would I want my son to be listening to what Ozzie Guillen is saying? No.

And that's too bad. I love Ozzie Guillen. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just suggesting he use his head more often before he opens his mouth.

Ozzie IS Ditka. In fact.........Ozzie kicked Ditka's ass.

Think about it this way. Ditka lasted 10 years in his job, which is rather extrordinary in his line of work, and is still revered as the king of Chicago sports. Ozzie will, in the final analysis, be regarded in the same positive manner.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
The media is eating this crap up, and why are these reporters asking him about Mariotti anyway? Just to ignite the fire.

He needs to stick to answering baseball questions, and not questions about how he feels about The Big Hurt or Magglio or Mariotti. That is where he gets into trouble, because he tells them exactly how he feels.

Thats why I like Oz that much more. He actually has the balls to tell people what's on his mind, which is what most of us are thinking but afraid to say to anyone, and makes no apologies for his statements.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:53 AM)
I understand the derogatory nature of the word and yet still encourage its use.

another gem :headshake

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Agree wholeheartedly. Stupid comments like "here we go again" dont add to the thread and just clog them up

www.blogspot.com

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Ozzie IS Ditka. In fact.........Ozzie kicked Ditka's ass.

Think about it this way. Ditka lasted 10 years in his job, which is rather extrordinary in his line of work, and is still revered as the king of Chicago sports. Ozzie will, in the final analysis, be regarded in the same positive manner.

Thats why I like Oz that much more. He actually has the balls to tell people what's on his mind, which is what most of us are thinking but afraid to say to anyone, and makes no apologies for his statements.

Most of the time Ozzie is right and politically incorrect at the same time; then when you add his command of the English language, you get one funny dude.

Edited by RME JICO

There's a difference. Ditka became focused on a lot of off the field things like endorsements, and he eventually lost his players. He's still beloved by the majority of Bears fans. Ozzie probably will never lose his players. If the comments continue he will eventually alienate large groups of fans. IMO the only way Ozzie will ever get fired is for saying something stupid and giving the White Sox no other choice. Hopefully, it won't come to that. I do see him walking away when the team eventually gets into a rebuilding mode, but who knows how long that will be.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Most of the time Ozzie is right and politically incorrect at the same time, then when you add his command of the English language, you get one funny dude.

LOO BISH!!!!

HOO MANI TIIES I GOT TO TELL JEW NO TO MAA FUN O MY ACCEN!!!!!!

I JEW AIN GO NOTING TO SAA NISE DEN DON SAA CHIT!!!!