Official Ozzie/Mariotti Thread

gojimthome

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
I dont think the gay community was as "offended" as the media was. Its a term that Oz probably shouldnt be using, but again. Oz has been like this forever. Why is it a problem NOW? I repeat.

This SHOULD NOT BE A NATIONAL STORY. The freaking media should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry, I should have put my quote in teal (notice the offensive word in my post was "Mariotti"). ba-da-dum.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I like the way Ozzie handled it. Apologized to those who might have been offended, but didn't take back the fact that he thinks Mariotti is dickless.

The SOX organization did a pretty decent job, all things considered in trying to put out this brush fire thats become a forest fire now. Ozzie said exactly what needed to be said. Someone needs to tell Keith Olbermann to get his own opinion now ............

C'mon people, we all know the media lives for controversy, especially if it has to do with race or gay issues. It gives every half ass reporter an excuse to get their face on tv or their column some attention. It'll be dead by Monday.

I also love the 'it's ok to think it, feel it and believe it, just don't SAY it' mentality in this country. How about getting to the point where if people don't think it or believe it, then they never have to run the risk of saying it? We're more and more becoming a country that's completely full of s*** when it comes to the whole PC issue.

No way is Ozzie becoming Ditka or will end up like Ditka. Ditka is a knothead, scumbag who gets bombed, hangs out at his crappy restaurant smoking cigars, lives off the past, and usually ends up talking to some trashy girls before they leave together. The guy is a clown! I'd be very surprised if Ozzie ended up like this.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
And how will he lose large groups? A SOX pitcher one day will have a bad outing, 2 innings, 9 runs

and Ozzie will comment "he pitched like horse **** today". The media will run a ton of articles saying Ozzie must hate horses and horse lovers too, since they like horses, and they will call on him and the SOX organization to apologize to the Association of Horse Lovers. This stupid cycle will repeat itself and the media will continue to call it fact. Hes being called a national embarrassment? give me a break.

No. Whether we like it or not, his name for Mariotti, who even said he gets called worse everyday, offends a lot of people. I've used the same word several times in my life, as I would suspect almost everyone on the board has. I don't remember if I've ever used it in anger, but I really don't see where that makes much of a difference. Ozzie did the right thing by apologizing for using that word, but not backing down on his disdain for that idiot. I'm not saying its going to happen, but what would happen if Slezak wrote a negative Ozzie column and he called her the c-word? He will and should be able to respond to and critique his critics all he wants. He just needs to pick his words more carefully. There's a reason people don't speak their minds to the press anymore. Anything you say can and will be spun to be used against you. Marriotti was saying he now is what he never desired to be, the news. If he doesn't desire to be the news, why does he continue to show his face on ESPN, why does he agree to discuss this story on the Score, why does the Tribune have quotes from him?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
If he doesn't desire to be the news, why does he continue to show his face on ESPN, why does he agree to discuss this story on the Score, why does the Tribune have quotes from him?

Mariotti is the writers version of a "shock jock". He is paid to be on ESPN for his "shock" value.

TheScore has been ground zero lately getting writers to "talk", Mariotti had some interesting revelations about the SOX & Reinsdorf, as well as his calling out of the Trib too, which im sure they werent happy with.

He doesnt want to be the news is lip service, he doesnt mind this at all

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Thats why I like Oz that much more. He actually has the balls to tell people what's on his mind, which is what most of us are thinking but afraid to say to anyone, and makes no apologies for his statements.

And thats why SOX fans have always loved Oz, he is exactly like SOX fans. Hes one of us

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
The only good thing about all of this?

Is that Jay called out his own paper and the Trib for their slanted coverage, heh hehe heheheh. Excellent.

Uh, he called out his own paper for being TOO biased FOR the White Sox.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
And thats why SOX fans have always loved Oz, he is exactly like SOX fans. Hes one of us

Ugh, maybe the majority of Sox fans or a great portion but I have very little in common with Ozzie Guillen, especially when it comes to the s*** he says.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)

Wasnt that the kettle calling the pot black? He called out his paper and said they have to treat everyone FAIRLY. Fairly? heh heh. This is the same paper that did a fullpage article on Darren Baker.

No, if you read, he is mad that his paper is seemingly taking the SOX side on this and has censored him in the past.

Something a paper should NEVER EVER do.

Edited by Hangar18

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)

Yea, I didn't get that. Marriotti seemed to be pissed off his paper pulled a negative White Sox column during a World Series, first one in Chicago in 46 years, that the White Sox swept. What could he have been moaning about then? Considering all the garbage he writes that they do print, this must have really been ridiculous and petty.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
www.blogspot.com

For those of you that don't want to read Hangar's posts or when he's quoted, put him on your ignore list. Even if we don't believe a lot of the stuff he says, he's not going out of his way to insult people.

Use the ignore list, because it's sickening that a lot of people are taking the same approach (constant, and I mean constant, repeating, badgering and following around of him and tracking what he talks about) that he uses when following the "bias".

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Yea, I didn't get that. Marriotti seemed to be pissed off his paper pulled a negative White Sox column during a World Series, first one in Chicago in 46 years, that the White Sox swept. What could he have been moaning about then? Considering all the garbage he writes that they do print, this must have really been ridiculous and petty.

I would really like to know what it was about .........and the fact that he mentions Jerry Reinsdorf having been involved ............ very interesting. Was Jay being censored? or was the SunTimes being censored? I'll say this, when Jay leaves and retires, he will put out a tell-all book on the sports scene here, and I'll bet dirt will fly.

Fairly? heh heh. This is the same paper that did a fullpage article on Darren Baker.

So what if they did an article on Darren Baker?

What does that have to do with unfair, other than in your own biased opinion?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)

"How dare the White Sox let Damaso Marte get a win in the World Series?"

"Why on Earth would they risk letting the ever-talented Mark Buehrle get injured by throwing him out for a save?"

"Ozzie is a hypocrite. He plays for small ball, but lets Podsednik -- the King of small ball!!! -- HIT A HOMERUN?!"

:huh

Something a paper should NEVER EVER do.

A paper should never censor a columnist? Why?

And why have editors then?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
The way Ozzie used the word *** was not in a homophobic way and will definitely not lead to any homophobic deaths. He basically called him a sissy. Put the whole thing in context.

That's exactly why is homophobic; if calling someone a "***" makes them a sissy, then that's calling gay people a bunch of sissies.

Either way, its not the end of the world. He shouldn't have said it (just call him a sissy/pussy/huge vag next time), but he did and of course the PC media are going to flip out and overreact. Really, in a way, its their job. Now they have a controversial story lots of people will pay attention to, so they'll blow it out of proportion and run it until it dies.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)

"Why on Earth would they risk letting the ever-talented Mark Buehrle get injured by throwing him out for a save?"

"Ozzie is a hypocrite. He plays for small ball, but lets Podsednik -- the King of small ball!!! -- HIT A HOMERUN?!"

HEH HEH HEHEHEH

I realize I'm risking the wrath of the entire board and Soxdom in general by not jumping on the Mariotti/Mornotti/whatever bashing-bandwagon, but there's a few things to be pointed out here, IMO.

What Ozzie said this week was unbecoming of a manager of a World Series Champion ballclub. To use that kind of guttural language in front of the press, knowing it would be reported, was stupid. Don't get me wrong I LOVE OZZIE TO DEATH but sometimes he can be an idiot, and he's being one now.

For all the Mariotti bashing (I read him every day), what's overlooked is that this man has been MORE than fair to the Sox over the past few seasons. The idea that he rips them and champions the Cubs is absurd. While he may call out Ozzie for something like the Tracey episode (or calling that guy in NY a "child molester") or even K.W. last August--wrongly, as it turned out--for not making a trade for a big bat, the man has been talking the Sox up all during 2005 and this year too. He was the guy last year who was telling Chicago to forget the has-been/never-were Cubs and check out the real baseball on the South Side. He was the guy calling KW a genius over the winter for his trades. He was the guy talking up the new Sox as genuinely exciting this year, because everybody knows that we have a chance to repeat.

I don't know how much more of a cheerleader this guy's supposed to be, and be objective. What I personally like about Mariotti is that he is unafraid to challenge the sacred cows here in Chicago and rip into teams/ownership that deserve it. This year it's been the Cubs (and rightly so, yes?), but in the past it's been the Bears (any arguments there?), the Bulls (save for the last couple seasons) and probably the Hawks at some point. He was also blistering in his criticisms of the Sox prior to '05 and you know what? He should have been.

Yes, he gets things wrong sometimes (famously predicting the Bulls would never win that last championship against Utah, I remember). Yes, his feud with Hawk is idiotic (on both ends). Yes he can be arrogant and a blowhard. But for my money I'd rather see a guy stirring the pot rather than lapsing into the passivity that apparently allows us to continue to suffer owners like the McCaskeys and Wirtz. I WANT a guy who's going to slice and dice the teams when they suck.

So apparently this year Mariotti is on Ozzie's hit list because he's criticized Ozzie's behavior here and there. And you know what? That is positively CUBS-LIKE. Oh, you remember, don't you? In 2004 (after the historic 2003 choke) all of a sudden Steve Stone couldn't dare criticize Baker or the team--and when he did, he was either tackled in the press by the team/Baker (ahem) or personally threatened/confronted by players. And that proved to be nothing more than yet another distraction that made sure, among all the other things, that they failed in 2004 as well.

As for the Hawk thing, I'm not sure that Mariotti was ever wrong about him. He IS a homer. He IS a mouthpiece for Reinsdorf. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Hawk, but what's in dispute here? Granted, Mariotti's comments have gotten more personal than that, but on the other end, Hawk spent an entire game the other night reading viewer email about what an asshole Mariotti is.

THIS is the kind of thing we need to spend time on as we attempt to repeat as World Champions? Pfft. I doubt it. And as much as I love Ozzie, we don't need to hear him gleefully referring to unliked columnists as "f******* ***gots." At least not publically. Remember his Magglio tirade? That was embarassing. Magglio probably wasn't all innocent in his ultimate departure, but he didn't deserve that. At least not with that kind of language.

I'd like to see Mariotti and Ozzie meet and bury the hatchet. Mariotti should be able to write what he wants without worrying about threats from Ozzie. And if Ozzie doesn't like it, he should be able to pick up the phone and call Mariotti and tell him why he thinks he's full of s***.

But this nonsense is just getting old. I know Sox fans hate Mariotti, but the man is certainly not the anti-Christ he's made out to be. We need to worry about more important things.

Sorry for being a heretic, but that's just how I see it.

BTW, though, his suggestion for a two-week suspension for Ozzie is absurd. Now THAT is bulls***.

Edited by LVSoxFan

Good for you Gregory Pratt, and what are you doing? Following me around?

Take your own advice.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)

My thought is that it was a rip job about the fans beating up Biggio's wife.

He also was not given some sort of press pass or parking pass I believe.

Is Mariotti gay? Seriously. It seems like a lot of people that would "be in the know" about that are the most ticked off. Like Greg Couch. He was the first calling for a suspension. I was surprised by that. It makes me think Jay's really gay and that's why this is such a big deal. :huh