Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
That's a terrible comparison. The Nationals were never even close to THIS good, THIS late in the season. Furthermore, even when the were 10 or so games over .500, they had a NEGATIVE run differential. Anyone with half a brain knew they were going to eventually suck.

The Tigers lead MLB in RD this year. I'm sick of people making dumb comparisons. They aren't a fluke. BP has them at over 80% odds to make the playoffs. Before you scream, the Sox are at 76% odds. Take that with a grain of salt, but historically, teams this good record wise and RD wise don't miss that playoffs that often.

I must say, knowing BP has their odds that high to make the playoffs makes me feel much better that they won't get in.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long are Sox fans going to go on saying we are a fluke team? 51-25 people in what is likely the hardest division in baseball. It's not like we're winning a bunch of 1-run games like the Nats were last year and statistically were likely to fall off. We've given up the least runs in MLB.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
You don't agree that the Sox are the best team in the division?

That very well may be, but as of right now we own the best record in the majors. By a slim margin perhaps, but the best record nonetheless.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
How long are Sox fans going to go on saying we are a fluke team? 51-25 people in what is likely the hardest division in baseball. It's not like we're winning a bunch of 1-run games like the Nats were last year and statistically were likely to fall off. We've given up the least runs in MLB.

Schedule is only going to get harder. Can't keep playing Tampa and KC all year. Good luck!

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
That's a terrible comparison. The Nationals were never even close to THIS good, THIS late in the season. Furthermore, even when the were 10 or so games over .500, they had a NEGATIVE run differential. Anyone with half a brain knew they were going to eventually suck.

The Tigers lead MLB in RD this year. I'm sick of people making dumb comparisons. They aren't a fluke. BP has them at over 80% odds to make the playoffs. Before you scream, the Sox are at 76% odds. Take that with a grain of salt, but historically, teams this good record wise and RD wise don't miss that playoffs that often.

I think they'll make the playoffs. The key for the Tigers is to not crap themselves playing a team named the Yankees or Sox. 50% chance of them playing the AL East winner in the playoffs depending how they finish in the Central.

I'm still not buying the Tigers as a WS contender until they beat the White Sox/Red Sox/Yankees. Any road to the playoffs and in they playoffs goes thru these teams.

Personally....at this point I don't think the tigers are going to be going away.....I thought this way in May but after watching numerous games now on my MLB extra innings they are a very solid team. They remind me of us last year.....they are really grinding them out.......I just got done watchin the 3rd game of the cardinals sweep, these late inning game winners are a killer. The only thing is......They really don't scare me at all head to head......or in the playoffs for that matter......they have a chip on thier shoulder just like us last year, but I think that chip is the White Sox knipping at thier heels.

Here something to chew on: last year at this date the Sox were 51-23, with 358 RS and 279 RA.

One year later, the Tigers are 51-25, with 394 RS and 285 RA.

And the Nationals this time last year? 44-30 with 305 RS, and 307 RA. The Tigers are much closer to last year's Sox then the Nationals. Much closer.

The "they can't beat the good teams" crap is getting old.

The White Sox weren't very good against the "good teams" last year, and you haven't even played them this year. (Since obviously we're not a good team, I can only assume that NYY, Boston, and yourselves are the only "good teams" in all of MLB).

I just don't understand why noone can accept that maybe, just maybe, the AL Central has two good teams? Wow! That would be an amazing development!

You won the world series last year, you'd think that might stop you from having to be so defensive about every other team.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
Schedule is only going to get harder. Can't keep playing Tampa and KC all year. Good luck!

Well if that's true than your team should watch out because according to ESPN we've had a tougher SOS than your team so far.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Well if that's true than your team should watch out because according to ESPN we've had a tougher SOS than your team so far.

According to ESPN The Yankees, Red Sox and now the Mets are the only teams worth watching too.....

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

The White Sox weren't very good against the "good teams" last year, and you haven't even played them this year. (Since obviously we're not a good team, I can only assume that NYY, Boston, and yourselves are the only "good teams" in all of MLB).

I just don't understand why noone can accept that maybe, just maybe, the AL Central has two good teams? Wow! That would be an amazing development!

You won the world series last year, you'd think that might stop you from having to be so defensive about every other team.

I really think you're seeing a small minority as speaking for everyone. I think most people feel the Tigers are for real.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
That very well may be, but as of right now we own the best record in the majors. By a slim margin perhaps, but the best record nonetheless.

Congrats on the best record. I think the reason people can rightfully say the Sox are a little better is because while we have identical records we have the edge head to head.

Jesus, can't both sides just admit they have damn good teams, and that as of now, the Sox are 5-1 against the Tiggers, but both teams will have plenty of opportunity to prove themselves down the stretch?

Deep breaths people.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
You don't agree that the Sox are the best team in the division?

It's too hard to tell right now. If the Tigers stay healthy the rest of the way, they have as good of a shot at winning the division as the Sox do.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)

Oh most of us here can accept that......what we can't accept is that your just showing up now....I lived in Michigan for 3 years until this august....I can't even count how many of the people I knew who were just into the Pistons, and Wings and now act like the biggest baseball fans in the world.

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
The difference between the Sox and Tigers are how each team has fared against KC/Cle.

If we didn't play like crap against Cleveland and KC we'd have 60 wins right now and this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)

Right, and even if you sustain MLB's best record doesn't mean you're any more likely to get past the World Champion White Sox in the ALCS. Since the Tigers are an inferior team to the White Sox, look for the World Champs to advance.

I can't even count how many of the people I knew who were just into the Pistons, and Wings and now act like the biggest baseball fans in the world.

I hung out in downtown Detroit friday night visiting some friends that work in the labs at Wayne State, and I was AMAZED at all the Tigers gear. I'd say 1/2 of the people in the bars and clubs we went to had either a Tigers hat, or Tigers shirt on.

I'm glad they will support a winner, bandwagon or not, that city needs something to cheer about.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Right, and even if you sustain MLB's best record doesn't mean you're any more likely to get past the World Champion White Sox in the ALCS. Since the Tigers are an inferior team to the White Sox, look for the World Champs to advance.

Definitive statements rule :banghead