Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(ViperPilot @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure I know when the season ends....that still doesn't answer the question about your starting pitching......are you or are you not happy with your starting pitching? Do you think they can turn it around and be as good as they were last year, or do you need to trade for a starter to end the year....

the starters have been inconsistent. Vasquez was great in the beginning then went to s***. Garland was s***ty for a spell and now he's 4-0 over his last 5 starts with an ERA less than 4. I sat in the stands and watched Freddy pitch his ass off against the Cardinals to win a game in which we were one-hit and still won, then watched him give it up sweet this weekend in the bronx (not in person, mercifully).

Happy? Ask me next week and my answer will probably be different then this week. But I'm sure as hell not panicking. If a move needs to be made KW will make it. Who cares if their season ERA's are higher than last year if they start pitching better and do it more consistently.

Harrelson is a homer and full of it most of the time but on one point he's dead on - this team has not clicked yet. And when they do it's gonna be lights out.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrelson is a homer and full of it most of the time but on one point he's dead on - this team has not clicked yet. And when they do it's gonna be lights out.

Well your hitting has definitely been lights out all year....hopefully they don't continue for the next 3 days :P. There was an interesting discussion on a Detroit forum about who they'd rather win between the CWS vs NYY. Many actually were rooting for you saying they'd rather take the chance of losing the division to you and win the WC, than have the Yankees hanging around.....I was not one of those people, but while I obviously hope we sweep you guys this week, nothing would make me happier than two teams coming out of the central this year.......here's to a great series......... :cheers

i am somewhat concerned (not a lot, just a little bit) about the way the tigers are playing at the moment. they were playing mediocre ball going into the break (although i did say that i'd be delighted with a 3-3 west coast swing) and have continued with fairly weak performances against the royals.

ok. got that off my chest.

here's how i see the second half lining up for the tigers and why i think they can actually get to 100 wins (warning: the following is pure conjecture):

bonderman and robertson will continue to pitch well, winning 15 games between them and starting another three or four wins credited to the bullpen.

verlander's going to get a lot of rest once maroth returns. verlander and miner will share starts. between the three pitchers, they'll win a dozen games and perhaps leave another two or three wins to the bullpen.

rogers will go .500 the rest of the way out and pick up a half dozen wins.

the sox will win the division and the tigers will lose to the sox in the al championship series.

wait'll next year! :P

this coming week, look for robertson and bonderman to pitch balls out - robertson because he's become incredibly competitive and bonderman because he sucked his last outing. jones may still blow one of their starts. rogers against contreras is no contest. depending on jones, detroit will take two of three against the sox.

Edited by flbob

Rogers v Contreras is no contest? Uhh, Rogers and Contreras have been equally horrible the last month, if anything that's the crappiest pitching match up of the series.

I find it funny that every White Sox fan thinks the Tigers are playing 100% and can't possibly do better, but even though almost everyone in your lineup is having a career year the Sox haven't "clicked yet" or "aren't playing their best ball"

Both teams have been playing great, and their is no need to make excuses at this point.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Rogers v Contreras is no contest? Uhh, Rogers and Contreras have been equally horrible the last month, if anything that's the crappiest pitching match up of the series.

I find it funny that every White Sox fan thinks the Tigers are playing 100% and can't possibly do better, but even though almost everyone in your lineup is having a career year the Sox haven't "clicked yet" or "aren't playing their best ball"

Both teams have been playing great, and their is no need to make excuses at this point.

ehh, I think Contreras gives us the best chance to win every time he goes out right now. he may be struggling, but he has still been far better than the rest of the staff even with his struggles.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)

garland - robertson: advantage robertson

vazquez - bonderman: advantage bonderman

contreras - rogers: advantage contreras

where's the dispute? if rogers can go six w/o giving up more than two or three, he might have a shot (profound, eh?). as i said, robertson and bonderman should both have top notch games. if jones doesn't blow any saves, the series goes to detroit. rogers is due for a good game so even with a jonesy foobar, detroit might win the series.

the tigers are going through a bit of a rough period right now. their defense is dramatically worse than it was through the first 80 games. but for playing the royals, the lead would likely be stuck at one or two games. thank you buddy & co.

if the defense doesn't tighten up, there's going to be a seriously anxiety producing pennant race in the central.

QUOTE(flbob @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
garland - robertson: advantage robertson

vazquez - bonderman: advantage bonderman

a cat fight between kittie fans, I dig it.

aren't you guys amazed at how well bonderman and robertson are pitching this year? their ERA's are more than a full point lower than their career averages. Even more impressive, in bonderman's case it's nearly a point less than last year and in gumboy's case it's more than a point lower than last year.

think those numbers will hold up? :huh

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
a cat fight between kittie fans, I dig it.

aren't you guys amazed at how well bonderman and robertson are pitching this year?

I'll honestly say Robertson is surprising the world. Who the hell knew he was going to pitch like this. Bonderman... no I'm not surprised at all. The kid has improved in almost every pitching statistic in each season he's pitched. He'll be a future ace on this staff right next to Verlander when it's all said and done.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
I'll honestly say Robertson is surprising the world. Who the hell knew he was going to pitch like this. Bonderman... no I'm not surprised at all. The kid has improved in almost every pitching statistic in each season he's pitched. He'll be a future ace on this staff right next to Verlander when it's all said and done.

their pitching is set up to be good for a long while. Add another veteran to take Rogers' place and Detroit will be a force.

I am a bit surprised there's so much optimism regarding Maroth's return. It was elbow surgery, after all.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
their pitching is set up to be good for a long while. Add another veteran to take Rogers' place and Detroit will be a force.

I am a bit surprised there's so much optimism regarding Maroth's return. It was elbow surgery, after all.

all they did was clean out some bone chips. i don't even know if there were any burrs to scrape. really minor stuff. am i overly optimistic that he can come back strong? dunno. if he still feels the elbow, we won't see him again until the spring, i suppose. if the elbow feels good, he should be able to regain his command after some rehab work in the minors, don't you think?

Edited by flbob

QUOTE(flbob @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
all they did was clean out some bone chips. i don't even know if there were any burrs to scrape. really minor stuff. am i overly optimistic that he can come back strong? dunno. if he still feels the elbow, we won't see him again until the spring, i suppose. if the elbow feels good, he should be able to regain his command after some rehab work in the minors, don't you think?

hope so, hate to see a guy that young go down.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Ehh don't trade him...bring him up and throw him in the rotation. :bringit

I would be shocked if he isn't better than Miner.

I would only trade Sanchez for Abreu. Sanchez really hasn't proven himself. This has been his only good year, so I'm not dead set against trading him.

I would only trade Sanchez for Abreu. Sanchez really hasn't proven himself. This has been his only good year, so I'm not dead set against trading him.

Sanchez got lit up his last 2 outings....not a big deal, but he could be great trade bait...

I think this is what the fans should be seeing out of these two teams. Not perfect outings against each other but competitive baseball. I don't want to see the White Sox or the Tigers dominate each other. If I wanted that I'd go play xbox.

I want tension and suspense. Late inning rallies, two out bombs, big saves and side sitting strike outs.

I'm just looking forward to the next series. Should be alot of fun.

Edited by MichiganBorn