Did Iguchi make history?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard Jon Miller ask last night during telecast, but I never heard any answer... Has anyone ever hit two homers in the last two innings for that many RBIs to rally a team back single handedly?

What about Crede back in 2002 against the Blue Jays?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
Didn't someone hit two grand slams in one inning before?

Fernando Tatis in the mid 90's with the Cardinals IIRC, but I was more looking to see basically what the most RBIs was to singlehandedly bring a team back was...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:08 AM)
What about Crede back in 2002 against the Blue Jays?

I don't remember that? What did he do??

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Fernando Tatis in the mid 90's with the Cardinals IIRC, but I was more looking to see basically what the most RBIs was to singlehandedly bring a team back was...

Someone did it against the Dodgers, IIRC. I faintly remember Tony LaRussa going ape s*** after the game when being interviewed. "He got 8 effing rbi's, what the eff do you think I think about his game today.." (sic)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Iguchi is our most versatile and situational hitter.

Although he's had some great games this year I don't think he's as consistent as last year. Especially when trying to move a runner over.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Although he's had some great games this year I don't think he's as consistent as last year. Especially when trying to move a runner over.

Maybe not, but still our most versatile and best at being situational. He can bunt, go opposite filed, sac fly, put the ball on the ground and has pop and decent speed.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Someone did it against the Dodgers, IIRC. I faintly remember Tony LaRussa going ape s*** after the game when being interviewed. "He got 8 effing rbi's, what the eff do you think I think about his game today.." (sic)

I hope LaRussa was ordered to sensitivity training for that. You know how easily sportswriters are offended by crude language.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Crede is currently 3rd among active players with 5 walk off homers.

Do you have a link for that? I've been curious about that for some time, but never knew where to find the information.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
I heard Jon Miller ask last night during telecast, but I never heard any answer... Has anyone ever hit two homers in the last two innings for that many RBIs to rally a team back single handedly?

I'm not sure if you're question has been answered yet. Yes Tatis had two grannys in the third inning, but has any players single-handedly brought his team back the way Gooch did in the last two innings of a game.

3run bomb in the 8th and granny in the 9th to erase a 7 run deficit by yourself.

Crazy....

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Didn't Bill Mueller hit 2 grand slams from each side of the plate vs. Texas a couple of years ago, when he was still a red sox. I'm not sure if it was in the same inning but i am pretty sure that he did do this.

Yes he did. Different innings.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)

This is very similar to a comment that Tommy Lasorda made when he was the manager of the Dodgers about Dave Kingman after he 3 homeruns in one game against the dodgers. I think that it's almost word for word what you said above about Larussa so there may be a chance that you have your manager's and incidents mixed up? Of course there is a chance that LaRussa also said this while managing the Cardinals in the above named incident, I just don't know about that one personally. Here is Lasorda's tirade on Kingman. This happened in 1978.

Here are LaRussa's comments after the game with Tatis:

Fast Facts

Following the game, Cardinals' manager Tony LaRussa said, "It's a thrill to witness big league history. I don't care if you're a fan or sitting in the dugout or whatever. What have they got one-hundred years of baseball and this is the first time it's ever been done? Wow."

Did you know that Fernando Tatis was only the second National League player to hit two grand slams in one game? Tony Cloninger, a pitcher for the Atlanta Braves, was the other player to go deep twice in the same game with the bases loaded.

Chan Ho Park was the second pitcher to give up two grand slams during the same inning, the first was Bill Phillips of Pittsburgh on August 16, 1890, and the first to give them both up to the same batter.

Edited by innersanctum

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Didn't Bill Mueller hit 2 grand slams from each side of the plate vs. Texas a couple of years ago, when he was still a red sox. I'm not sure if it was in the same inning but i am pretty sure that he did do this.

He also hit a solo shot that game too IIRC. He was like 3-5 for 3 homers and 9 RBI.

As for ss2k's question, I highly doubt any player has ever hit a 3-run homer and then a grand slam in consecutive innings to single-handedly tie a ballgame like Gooch did. It just seems too fairytale to actually have happened before.

I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, it's more or less just me making an educated guess. And I got to use fairytale as an adjective too, so I'm pretty happy about my guess too. :P

QUOTE(innersanctum @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
This is very similar to a comment that Tommy Lasorda made when he was the manager of the Dodgers about Dave Kingman after he 3 homeruns in one game against the dodgers. I think that it's almost word for word what you said above about Larussa so there may be a chance that you have your manager's and incidents mixed up?

That's it. I got mixed up. That was one hysterical rant. Lasorda makes me laugh almost as much as Bobby Knight.

Guest $I Need Money$

I think the history was that the White Sox became the first team since 1993 to hit grand slams in three consecutive games, but I might be wrong about that.