Anderson

aboz56

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
I wonder who the last team was who won a World title with a regular hitting .170.

Well, in 2002, Anahiem had Bengie Molina behind home plate -- he finished with a .245/.274/.322 line. Anderson is basically doing the same thing this year; .174/.270/.304. Oh, and I don't think Brian is going to continue to hit at that pace, either -- he's doing a much better job at the plate. Even today (yeah, I know, he didn't get the bunt down), he ripped a double in his first AB, and hit another ball pretty hard for an out to CF.

The comparison between Molina and Anderson fits, too -- neither are there for the offense. Both, however, are (or 'were', in Molina's case) in the category of 'elite' defensively.

Might I add that CF is arguably the second most important place to have a stud defender.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that there are very few names out there as far as reasonable replacements. Mike Cameron is really the only guy who won't give you a huge downgrade in defense, while upgrading offensively.

Edited by CWSGuy406

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Anderson seems to be coming around. He is batting .250 since June 11th and has a higher OBP than Uribe on the season.

His bat is not losing games for the Sox. The last time he went hitless and the Sox lost was June 2nd. If his bat becomes a liability and the Sox start losing, then pursue other avenues.

If he can keep a .250 BA from now until the end of the year, that would be fine for me.

i agree. a .250 avg was all we were asking from him to begin with, and as DJ says, the season beings everyday he hits the field.

QUOTE(valponick @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
:lolhitting EXACTLY. This guy cracks me up.

What was that? Contribute something, then get back to me, thanks.

Anderson has played good of late, and was great on D. Some of his deep catches may have gone for doubles if poor jumps Mackowiak was in the game. Failed bunts happen, in fact, it happened to many of our players today. The gidp's hurt us much much more than those.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
What was that? Contribute something, then get back to me, thanks.

Anderson has played good of late, and was great on D. Some of his deep catches may have gone for doubles if poor jumps Mackowiak was in the game. Failed bunts happen, in fact, it happened to many of our players today. The gidp's hurt us much much more than those.

Rock the voice of reason? Damn! A blown bunt? Wow, it happens. Gooch, the "pro's pro", the guy who "sacrifices his power for the good of the team" (nm how dumb that sounds), missed one too. So did Uribe. Obviously bunting is something the team should work on in practice. But a blown bunt is about reason #2323 I'd can Anderson. Poor defense or mental mistakes in the field are up there, but a blown bunt? Come on.

Anderson's line looks terrible because of how slow he started the season. He's hitting mediocre the past month, and that's all we need out of him. If he gets his average up around .200 by the ASB, I'll be happy.

I sure as hell don't want Mackowiak out there with Buehrle on the mound, or any of our SP for that matter.

And I don't buy the argument that "You can't win a championship with a guy batting .170. Obvs it doesn't help the team much offensively, but it hasn't prevented the team from completely running roughshod over MLB again this year.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

If every player who flubbed a bunt got sent to AAA, the Charlotte Knights would have to expand their roster quite a bit.

Ozzie said after the game that he wasn't happy about the popped-up bunts by Iguchi and Anderson, and he said again that the team has to work on the little stuff and pretty much be perfect at it, every day.

But I don't get the sense that stuff like that will cause Ozzie and KW to give up on Anderson, since I think they are looking not only at winning this year but at developing a winning team for next year and the years beyond. Anderson's potential is enormous. He is beginning to realize it, not quickly enough for some fans, but then, some fans this time last year wanted Joe Crede tied to a boat anchor and tossed into Lake Michigan ...

I have faith in KW and Ozzie; they haven't given me any reason to doubt them yet, especially on player development.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
But I don't get the sense that stuff like that will cause Ozzie and KW to give up on Anderson, since I think they are looking not only at winning this year but at developing a winning team for next year and the years beyond. Anderson's potential is enormous. He is beginning to realize it, not quickly enough for some fans, but then, some fans this time last year wanted Joe Crede tied to a boat anchor and tossed into Lake Michigan ...

What in Anderson's previous numbers suggest that he will be anywhere near the player Crede is?

First off, Crede was a league MVP at two different levels of the minor leagues. In 2000, he was MVP of the Southern League at Birmingham and in 1998, he was the MVP of the Carolina League and nearly won the triple crown but fell two home runs short.

Anderson's AAA stats last year suggest that he was not ready for the show this season (115 strikeouts). He was definitely rushed through the system and we are seeing this season that he is completely lost at the plate and not ready to hit legitimate pitching. The guy was never really a dominate player at any level in the minors and in my estimation would have benefitted greatly from another season at AAA.

You cannot dispute his potential to be great is there but as of right now he is only helping us with his defense.

My guess is that if KW can improve via trade at the CF position he will because sooner or later you can no longer afford a .170 hitter in the lineup.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
BA's hit around .200 since June.

Should I be impressed?

For any other player that is one horrible month.

Crede definitely had a better minor-league record than Anderson did, but Anderson played college ball, which Crede did not. So there may be an apples/oranges comparison there.

I don't follow college ball, but Anderson seems to have been hot stuff: "was listed by Baseball America as the Top Pro Prospect in Arizona and No. 27 Prospect in the nation ... was also named to the 2003 Baseball America and USA Today Second-Team All-America squads as a junior ... earned All-Pac 10 honors as a junior after posting career highs in every offensive category ... appeared in 17 games as a pitcher, posting a 5.40 ERA (13 ER/21.2 IP) ... attended Canyon Del Oro High School in Tucson, Ariz. ... was named 5A State Player of the Year by the Arizona Baseball Coaches Association in 2000."

Does that compare to Crede's minor-league stats? Probably not. Would Anderson have benefitted by another year at Charlotte? Probably. But Rowand was traded, center field was open, and now BA has to fill the role. If he can't, if he's hitting .170 on October 2, then they can and should jettison him. But he's *not* batting .170 this past month, and since he does seem to be climbing out the hole (that he dug himself into), I am eager to watch his progress.

And he should definitely learn how to bunt, especially since his hitting has been less than studly overall this year.

Anderson hit well in AAA last year despite the strikeouts. It's not being "rushed", it's being broken in to the big leagues. Rookies struggle, it's the very rare and very special rookie position player that comes in and lights up the scoreboard the first go round.

He obvously was overwhelmed this spring playing for the Champs, but he's worked through it and isn't half as bad at the plate as he was even a month ago.

It's growing pains with young players, and I can't believe some of you guys expected much more.

I'm not making excuses for him, and he needs to continue his improved hitting to warrant a spot in the lineup everyday. However unless a trade is made, he should get the call most days in CF, as Mack is just brutal out there and doesn't slug well enough to justify it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
For any other player that is one horrible month.

What about a line like this over his past 12 games?

.250 BA | .425 SLG% | 1 HR | 6 RBI | 7 R | 5 2B

Including raising his batting average 22 points, his OBP 20 points and his SLG% 40 points

I thought we were past all this s*** too, he's one of 3 player who fail to get down a bunt so now we have to go back to the amazing Pods in CF talk. Anderson does exactly what is asked of him both offensively and defensively and the guy still can't get a f***ing break.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
I thought we were past all this s*** too, he's one of 3 player who fail to get down a bunt so now we have to go back to the amazing Pods in CF talk. Anderson does exactly what is asked of him both offensively and defensively and the guy still can't get a f***ing break.

Who said anything about Pods in CF?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Who said anything about Pods in CF?

1 person already mentioned it in this thread and I just know if this continues we'll be seeing even more of it, it's just one of those enevitabilities you get with Sox fans.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
1 person already mentioned it in this thread and I just know if this continues we'll be seeing even more of it, it's just one of those enevitabilities you get with Sox fans.

Well when you're hitting .170 you should expect criticism.

Also, if we aren't allowed to say anything about the guy, who by the way is above criticism in the eyes of many around here, why don't we just close down the site and put up a message that the White Sox are great and there's no reason to even talk about it.

I have a problem when all people do is complain but when people call what they see and want to discuss it, what's the big deal?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
Well when you're hitting .170 you should expect criticism.

Also, if we aren't allowed to say anything about the guy, who by the way is above criticism in the eyes of many around here, why don't we just close down the site and put up a message that the White Sox are great and there's no reason to even talk about it.

I have a problem when all people do is complain but when people call what they see and want to discuss it, what's the big deal?

I have no problem with criticism of any player but when you single out Anderson because he's hitting .170 I have a serious problem with that. People are totally ignoring what the guy has done recently:

.250 BA | .425 SLG% | 1 HR | 6 RBI | 7 R | 5 2B | over last 12

You want him gone because he can't get a bunt down and is batting .170 well guess what he's not going to have a very good batting average by the end of the year, that's just the way it works when you start the year as s***ty as he did, he could hit .250 for the rest of the year which would be awesome and his BA will still look like s***.

I have no problem with warranted criticism but this IMO is just ridiculous.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)

I know I can count on you to make any type of sense on threads like this.

I'll say this, that suspension Anderson served, really f***ed up his hot streak. hitting around .300 before the suspension, .117 after.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
I have no problem with criticism of any player but when you single out Anderson because he's hitting .170 I have a serious problem with that. People are totally ignoring what the guy has done recently:

.250 BA | .425 SLG% | 1 HR | 6 RBI | 7 R | 5 2B | over last 12

You want him gone because he can't get a bunt down and is batting .170 well guess what he's not going to have a very good batting average by the end of the year, that's just the way it works when you start the year as s***ty as he did, he could hit .250 for the rest of the year which would be awesome and his BA will still look like s***.

Kalapse I usually agree with you, but not here..

a .250 batting average over the past 12 games doesnt really make me feel all that better, thats not the greatest stretch, however, if he can show something like that over a stretch of a month then I will feel somewhat relieved with the situation..

Theres no denying that his defense is fantastic, but his offense leaves something to be desired and as long as he can keep it up like hes been doing, then we will more than likely be fine with him hitting in the 9 hole.. Honestly, at this very moment I dont think we need a replacement but like I said earlier if this goes on all through this month were gonna have to get some kind of replacement for this season because a sub .200 avg from him is going to cost us somewhere down the line IMO