Buehrle

aboz56

I didn't see the game today, but one thing I noticed in Buehrle's previous two starts (Cubs, Boston) is that both teams were hacking away first pitch because they knew he was coming right in there with a strike.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Buehrle, but I'm really starting to get concerned that the word is out on how to get to him and do it quickly. He definitely needs to look at making a few adjustments and maybe not be so predictable on the first pitch.

Has anyone else noticed anything in his past few starts besides the fact that he's just gotten totally owned as of late.

This is the toughest stretch I can ever remember for him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is only the 2nd time in his career where Mark has given up 5 runs in 3 consecutive games, so yeah, this is probably the worst stretch of his career.

I haven't a clue what's wrong with him, because F***ing Fox carried the Dodgers/Cardinals game. But I will say this...his problem is not going to be people swinging at the first pitch, because if he has his good stuff and has everything working for him, people who try the "Swing at the first pitch" style wind up having Mark ace them for 9 innings. That strategy only works if Mark's pitches don't have their bite or if people know what is coming.

Buerhle is at his best when he has his control, which is obvious. But especially when he runs his cutter in on the hands of righties. Pounding them in, like Mariano does to lefties. I know they dont have similiar stuff, but for Buerhle when he pounds them in with his cutter he is a much better pitcher. It opens up the outside corner for his back door breaking pitch or his changeup away.

From what I see he is leaving his pitches up. He leaves his fastball up and over the middle of the plate. What he has been doing now for a month, is trying to sneak a quick fastball or breaking pitch over the plate because his control is off, so he can then use his breaking pitches to get the hitters out. What has happened is that people have figured this out, and are now hacking at the first pitch which is usually either center cut or away. They are not trying to pull the pitch, and are looking to go to right center with him. This is why you are seeing a lot of doubles to the gaps off of Buerhle. Buerhle and Coop need to figure out what is causing him to leave them up. He needs to get his command and control back.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Buerhle's problem is that he is not locating. He's leaving everything right down the heart of the plate or missing the corners by a few inches for balls. When he gets his command back he'll be fine, but as long as its off a little, he's a gas can.

^^^

He's definitely leaving pitches up and not hitting the corners like he usually does. Also, the Cubs were sitting on first-pitch fastball in the first inning of the last game of the series at Wrigley. When A.J. began calling first-pitch breaking ball, he was much more effective.

Ozzie:

"Right now, the way I see it is the cutter is not cutting, the changeup is not changing and the fastball is not fast," said Guillen of Buehrle, whose ERA jumped to 4.43. "When you are facing a team like that, you have to bring those pitches down and make pitches. If Buehrle stays up, he's going to get killed. That's not his style."

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Ozzie:

"Right now, the way I see it is the cutter is not cutting, the changeup is not changing and the fastball is not fast," said Guillen of Buehrle, whose ERA jumped to 4.43. "When you are facing a team like that, you have to bring those pitches down and make pitches. If Buehrle stays up, he's going to get killed. That's not his style."

He damn well better find those qualities, and quick.

What we're witnessing these last several starts is what happens when someone with a sub 90 fastball and limited deception has no location. He's absolutely killed.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
He damn well better find those qualities, and quick.

What we're witnessing these last several starts is what happens when someoneGlendon Rusch with a sub 90 fastball and limited deception has no location. He's absolutely killed.

Fixed.

That's what Mark is when he can't toss the ball exactly where he wants it.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Maybe because he has been pitching out of his mind for his entire career and he is in no way shape or form an ace.

So, he's just been lucky for the past five years? :huh:

Since he's not throwing a Mulder-esque 80 mph fastball, we can most likely rule out an arm injury. And that's good news.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
So, he's just been lucky for the past five years? :huh:

Since he's not throwing a Mulder-esque 80 mph fastball, we can most likely rule out an arm injury. And that's good news.

He's never been that great IMO. Obviously he is not going to pitch this awful all year, but I would be suprised if his ERA dipped below 4 the rest of the season. IMO Buehrle is very over rated by White Sox fans.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
I'm just wondering if we're seeing the effects from last season.

guys throwing all those innings, all those complete games in October.

The mileage adds up.

One less month off.

they could be wearing down.

Freddy has lost velocity.

Cliff is toast.

Buehrle is off.

just a thought.

I agree, and it makes me appreciate that we capitalized on our opportunity.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
He's never been that great IMO. Obviously he is not going to pitch this awful all year, but I would be suprised if his ERA dipped below 4 the rest of the season. IMO Buehrle is very over rated by White Sox fans.

Mark Buehrle has a career 128 ERA+, Roy Halladay 127.

Their career numbers are incredibly similar and I doubt you'll be calling Roy Hallday overrated. I could make a long winded post full of numbers and s*** comparing him to other accomplished pitchers of the past decade but I'm thinking that might just be a waste of time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
Mark Buehrle has a career 128 ERA+, Roy Halladay 127.

Their career numbers are incredibly similar and I doubt you'll be calling Roy Hallday overrated. I could make a long winded post full of numbers and s*** comparing him to other accomplished pitchers of the past decade but I'm thinking that might just be a waste of time.

ERA+....

Anyways, I'm not trying to fight with anyone, you can all love Buehrle as much as you want, but I've never really liked him and never will. That's just my opinion so leave me alone and don't throw a bunch of worthless stats in my face. By the way, Vazquez has 4 fewer losses this year than Buehrle ;)

Buehrle may be not be in the highest pitching tier (Santana, Pedro, Clemens, etc.), but he's sitting right at the top of the next tier.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
ERA+....

Anyways, I'm not trying to fight with anyone, you can all love Buehrle as much as you want, but I've never really liked him and never will. That's just my opinion so leave me alone and don't throw a bunch of worthless stats in my face. By the way, Vazquez has 4 fewer losses this year than Buehrle ;)

Who cares what the stats say? Personal prejudice is what really matters!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
Buehrle may be not be in the highest pitching tier (Santana, Pedro, Clemens, etc.), but he's sitting right at the top of the next tier.

Buehrle doesn't have the intangibles

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)

In picking the players that I like, yes personal prejudice is what matters. I don't like Buehrle, I love the White Sox. I like Vazquez. Is that so wrong?

And btw, I think all stats are worthless in baseball. ERA, ERA+, RBI, ect. It was beat like a dead horse last year, but wins is the only thing that matters. Baseball is a game where the slightest change in the path of a ball, the speed of the ball, the hand eye cordination of the batter, and so on can change everything.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
In picking the players that I like, yes personal prejudice is what matters. I don't like Buehrle, I love the White Sox. I like Vazquez. Is that so wrong?

And btw, I think all stats are worthless in baseball. ERA, ERA+, RBI, ect. It was beat like a dead horse last year, but wins is the only thing that matters. Baseball is a game where the slightest change in the path of a ball, the speed of the ball, the hand eye cordination of the batter, and so on can change everything.

So what were the determining factors when you decided you dislike Buehlre but like Vazquez? Just curious.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)

Nope, just don't go around saying that Buehrle "isn't that good" when the stats show that isn't the case.

And btw, I think all stats are worthless in baseball. ERA, ERA+, RBI, ect. It was beat like a dead horse last year, but wins is the only thing that matters.

So, Pods must be a better player than Barry becauase he's won more championships, right?

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
Stats can be misleading.... if you asked GM's around the league who would they rather have they would pick Halladay over Buerhle in a land slide.

The two are not even compartive.

There are other, less "misleading" stats that clearly show that Halladay has been more dominant than Buehrle.