Brian Anderson just landed on the Mendoza line

gojimthome

I told my girlfriend in may that she has to buy me an anderson jersey once he gets up to .200. She did think it would ever happen so I am a happy camper.

(I also told her that i would give her $1000 if there is ever a home run that goes into the upper deck at the cell. So i think i am safe on that one too)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the exact numbers, but it seems that Mackowiak is starting in CF at least once in every series. I understand the need to rest guys, but that seems a little too excessive. Anderson's defense is much more important than Mackowiak's offense, and Anderson has been hitting well for about a month now anyway. Anderson is a young and athletic guy, so I don't think he needs to be sitting as much as he does. And Mackowiak has the ability to play just about every other position on the field, so if he needs some PT, he can replace somebody else once in a while instead of always taking out BA for him.

Let's look at this more closely.

Who does he sub for?

With Cintron on this team, it basically takes away the need for Mackowiak to sub for Iguchi or Crede. I like Cintron and I like Mackowiak, they are great depth and they are good bench players, they know their role and they don't b**** about it.

Sub for Podsednik? Maybe but they both hit lefthanded.

Sub for Dye? Yes.

Sub for Thome at DH? To me, only if Thome is hurt.

It's either CF or RF, or late inning defense in LF. He has barely played IF this year due to Cintron's presence. And I love having that depth.

The other option is to let him sit on the bench and play him once a week, or twice a week, subbing once for Anderson and once for Dye. Maybe that's how Guillen will use him now that Anderson has awoken from his batting slumber.

I do agree that Anderson should be in there most of the time, say 5 games out of 7 if not 6 of 7. His superior defense can't be ignored.

Which leads me to this ... Mackowiak can also play 1B. It's not his natural position but he can play it. I have long thought they need a righthanded hitting OF that plays good defense, or another multipurpose guy. I think KW agreees with me, if the Burke and Figgins rumors have any merit whatsoever. Gload has definitely earned my respect and I think he is a good enough player, but to me this teams' needs call for a righthanded hitter with speed who can play good OF defense. Easy to say ... tough to find.

Either way the goal is not to get guys playing time. The goal is to win. Put the best players out there, show confidence in the bench, in case they are needed. The bench will be crucial this year, just as it was crucial last year. Guillen did a great job keeping those bench guys involved last year, he appears to be following the same script this year, I don't blame him, but by the same token he needs to have his best defensive team out there too. Very tough balancing act. No matter what he does, a portion of the fans will say he did it wrong. Such is life as a major league manager, but I suspect he can take it.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
does it matter....its not like july 16 is something to be happy about...we are 91 games into the season...and thats the point, not that its almost august

I'd say you're putting too much weight on Anderson's April and May performance. Sure his overall batting average is a very poor .200, but that doesn't mean he will hit at a .200 clip over the rest of the season. If BA hits anywhere near his .292 average over the last month, it would be extremely foolish for Ozzie not to play him nearly every day.

The fact that he's a rookie who struggled early and is now hitting well, shows me that he has improved quickly and is maturing into the solid player he was expected to become. Frankly, I'm surprised it has come this soon.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
whupdeef***in doo......its almost august...i know hes still hittin like .340 in july, and he is coming around, but 3.5 months of batting .200 is something im not celebrating

Whats done is done. We all know his av. at the end of the year is probably going to be dissapointing, due to his horrible 1st half. It doesn't mean he might not have a decent 2nd half.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Anderson is stroking the ball. Maybe he can give some pointer to the rest of the team on the nice line drive swing he has. The rest of them think its a saturday night softball game where the more you crack it over the fence the more beer you get.

Ozzie must be letting Juanito give the pre game pep talk.

Quit trying to pin everything on Guillen, it's tired. The 3-4-5 hitters went 1-12 with runners in scoring position but I suppose that's Guillen's fault too. Garcia has a crap 1st inning, that's Guillen's fault. When Brandon "the savior" McCarthy gets plugged into the rotation and gets lit up, will that be Guillen's fault too?I choose to blame the players who don't execute and frankly haven't executed in the Boston series or this series.

Amen, Jim.

He does look a lot better at the plate. I think Greg Walker has been working with him to shorten his swing and the kid hits the ball hard. He has had a lot of hard hit balls go right at a fielder so he has lost some hits. I woud still like Andruw Jones in CF, but Anderson can develop into a real good player I think.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
does it matter....its not like july 16 is something to be happy about...we are 91 games into the season...and thats the point, not that its almost august

Yes it matters, it's a rookie improving, that's huge short-term and long-term. This guy could be a huge reason as to why the White Sox take the lead in the divisional race and end up winning it.

I would also guess that he's at .250 by the end of the year. To do that, he'd have to hit about .315 for the rest of the year, given 350 ABs. I think it's very possible for that to happen.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
Yes it matters, it's a rookie improving, that's huge short-term and long-term. This guy could be a huge reason as to why the White Sox take the lead in the divisional race and end up winning it.

I would also guess that he's at .250 by the end of the year. To do that, he'd have to hit about .315 for the rest of the year, given 350 ABs. I think it's very possible for that to happen.

Anderson is not gonna hit .315 for the next two and a half months. Willing to bet he never does hits for that high of average in that long of time span for his entire career... he is just not that type of hitter. Nothing close to it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
Anderson is not gonna hit .315 for the next two and a half months. Willing to bet he never does hits for that high of average in that long of time span for his entire career... he is just not that type of hitter. Nothing close to it.

This is probably true...but I have always felt average is an overrated stat anyways, not that his other stats are that great either but Anderson has definitely improved since the start of the season. His swing is much more level and hits some of the most wicked line drives on the team. He will probably mostly be a gap hitter that will hit more homeruns later in his career.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)

you guys misinterpreted the meaning of my post...i do think brian should be playing and i realize hes important...i do think he will end up hitting around .225-.230 by the end of the year, and i am happy with his recent performance, but what my intent was.....i im not going to celebrate that he got back to .200, because im not gonna cheer for something that we are only celebrating for the sole reason that brian was so miserable early in the year

Edited by daa84

i do think brian should be playing and i realize hes important...i do think he will end up hitting around .225-.230 by the end of the year, and i am happy with his recent performance

I just checked his K rate by month and they are steadily going down. In April he had something like 22 K's in 62 at bats and so far in July it's 3 K's in 29 at bats. So this is a very good sign. Only 1 walk in 29 at bats in July but I guess the important thing for now is, he's putting the ball in play. Credit to Brian for riding it out, now he needs to keep it going. Consistency is key in the major leagues.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)

What do you mean he is not "that type of hitter"?

What type of hitter is he?

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that the White Sox projected Brian to be a .300 kind of hitter eventually, with decent power and speed.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
What do you mean he is not "that type of hitter"?

What type of hitter is he?

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that the White Sox projected Brian to be a .300 kind of hitter eventually, with decent power and speed.

I think he's projected to be a .280 hitter with ~20 HR and a decent amount (~15?) steals.

Quick note about the Mendoza line:

Mario Mendoza actually has a career .215 batting average. He was (allegedly) upset about the term "Mendoza line" because he didn't hit .200. He hit .215. Remember that catcher/announcer from Milwaukee? Bob Uecker actually had a .200 career average on the dot.