Hawk-Does he actually listen to what spews out of his mouth???

gosox41

I've never been a big fan of Hawk, but the last 2 days he seems to have lost me.

Yesterday he talks about how there's no pressure on the Sox and all the pressure was on the Tigers. Since they're the first place team that is young and beating expectations it's hard to believe that's true. Last year I remember him saying that there was no pressure on the Sox because they were in first place and teams had to catch us. Well now we're in the exact opposite scenario and he flip flops. How can anyone take this guy seriously?

I guess he's right at some point in time because he takes both sides of an argument. Heck, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Today he's talking about how Vazquez made the wrong pitch at the exact wrong time. No kidding. And judging by his 5+ ERA and the way he's pitched over the last 10 starts, he's made a lot of wrong pitches at the exact wrong time. Why? Because Vazquez stinks. Hakw is playing it off like Vazquez has been pitching great all year and this is one of the few times he's gotten burned. Ummmmm....no. This guy has been a victim of the big inning all season. What kind of analysis is Hawk giving? The guy gave up a grand slam in the 6th inning of a 1 run game against the team the Sox are chasing. He's been giving up big hits all year. This isn't because Vazquez has been making the right pitches and gotten beat, but more like he's made a ton of 'wrong' pitches.

Bob

The people who complain about hawk need to get MLB extra innings for a little bit. Yes he's a homer, but he knows baseball and he shows enthusiasm. I got MLB extra innings free for about a week, and some of the guys were downright awful. Baltimore's guys were the worst, they acted the same every play no matter who made it or what happened. I know people will kill me for this, but one of my favorite baseball announcers is John Sterling. I hate the f***ing Yankees, but the guy shows enthusiasm.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
The people who complain about hawk need to get MLB extra innings for a little bit. Yes he's a homer, but he knows baseball and he shows enthusiasm. I got MLB extra innings free for about a week, and some of the guys were downright awful. Baltimore's guys were the worst, they acted the same every play no matter who made it or what happened. I know people will kill me for this, but one of my favorite baseball announcers is John Sterling. I hate the f***ing Yankees, but the guy shows enthusiasm.

The fact that most announcers suck (which is true) doesn't make Hawk any better.

Hawk is kind of annoying, but he does know his baseball. But, I agree with a poster above, Baltimore is definetly the worst. My favorite would have to be the Tigers..but I've listened to them for years, and I can understand how they can be annoying to people who don't watch them much, much like with Hawk and DJ.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
I've never been a big fan of Hawk, but the last 2 days he seems to have lost me.

Yesterday he talks about how there's no pressure on the Sox and all the pressure was on the Tigers. Since they're the first place team that is young and beating expectations it's hard to believe that's true. Last year I remember him saying that there was no pressure on the Sox because they were in first place and teams had to catch us. Well now we're in the exact opposite scenario and he flip flops. How can anyone take this guy seriously?

I guess he's right at some point in time because he takes both sides of an argument. Heck, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Today he's talking about how Vazquez made the wrong pitch at the exact wrong time. No kidding. And judging by his 5+ ERA and the way he's pitched over the last 10 starts, he's made a lot of wrong pitches at the exact wrong time. Why? Because Vazquez stinks. Hakw is playing it off like Vazquez has been pitching great all year and this is one of the few times he's gotten burned. Ummmmm....no. This guy has been a victim of the big inning all season. What kind of analysis is Hawk giving? The guy gave up a grand slam in the 6th inning of a 1 run game against the team the Sox are chasing. He's been giving up big hits all year. This isn't because Vazquez has been making the right pitches and gotten beat, but more like he's made a ton of 'wrong' pitches.

Bob

i love hawk but his excuses are getting much much worse. i agree with you.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
I agree with Steve. Hawk is the best.

LOL! I can't stand him ... I turn the sound off and watch the game while listening to Farmer and Singleton, until Farmer gets into his "we're all doomed" mode, and then I turn off the radio and watch without commentary.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)

I've gotten the package for the past 5 seasons and it gives me a chance to hear professional announcers, that are NOT Hawk Harrelson. Of course Hawk knows what he is talking about, he has been around the game forever, but it is how you present it. When Hawk is quiet after our opponents score, that just comes off as unproffessional IMO.

I think the Yankee guys are top notch. Do they same "Seeeeya" homer call for both teams and gives good info. There good announcers, than there are the announcers for Pittsburgh, who are extremely dull, but wonder if you can blame them.

I'd put Hawk a little below the middle.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Bob,

Once you've been a White Sox fan for more than 8 months, you acquire a taste for the Hawkeroo. Your time is coming.

Sincerely,

Steve

Steve,

Season tickets have been in my family since before you were born. I was a kid back in the early '80's and went to a ton of games with my parents. Now I'm older and have my own season tickets. You're not one of those fans who Bernstein was ranting about today, are you?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Steve,

Season tickets have been in my family since before you were born. I was a kid back in the early '80's and went to a ton of games with my parents. Now I'm older and have my own season tickets. You're not one of those fans who Bernstein was ranting about today, are you?

Bob

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
I've gotten the package for the past 5 seasons and it gives me a chance to hear professional announcers, that are NOT Hawk Harrelson. Of course Hawk knows what he is talking about, he has been around the game forever, but it is how you present it. When Hawk is quiet after our opponents score, that just comes off as unproffessional IMO.

I think the Yankee guys are top notch. Do they same "Seeeeya" homer call for both teams and gives good info. There good announcers, than there are the announcers for Pittsburgh, who are extremely dull, but wonder if you can blame them.

I'd put Hawk a little below the middle.

Different strokes I guess. I want a homer...I want a fan. I don't want the same homerun call for both f***in teams. I want the annoucner to be happy when we hit one and pissed when the other team does. He's not a news reporter he's the home team announcer. If he was on ESPN or FOX, I can understand the gripe.

Bottom line, Hawk is out there to please SOX fans...Do you think Sox fans care if he is quiet after an opponent scores? I know I don't think it's unprofessional if he has to cover the mic to say a few choice words offline. He's just doing what most other sox fans are doing.

Another anti-Hawk commentary.

I love Hawk's enthusiasm, and I love how he acts when the other team does something good. He gets pissed, just like me. As for his excuses, it's no secret he is Reinsdorf's mouthpiece. If Hawk says something negative about a guy, you know he's getting traded or sent down in the near future. He's out to please his boss (in a total non-sexual way.... :P ). I think most of us do that at our own jobs.

Forget about other announcers in other cities, listen to the other ones in Chicago for crying out loud! Kasper/Brenly, Farmer/Singleton, Santo/Hughes. I'm an Ed Farmer fan...I like his dry humor...but Hawk and DJ are the best team hands down. Singleton sucks...but he's a rookie (a n00b if you will...hehe). Kasper is your typical lame Cub announcer with that Chip Caray-esque voice. Brenly is alright I guess. Santo...enough said. Hughes is alright, but he's another typical lame Cubs announcer. (Welcome to beeeeeeeeeeeeautiful Wrigley field, home of the grrrrrrrrrrrrrreatest fans on earth. How bout it Ronnie? -- AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhasfljkasgjlkgalsdagjj Cubbies!)

Anyway, Hawk ain't that bad. He's got something a lot of announcers lack--a personality.

Hawk does his job. If he sits there b****ing about how the Sox aren't doing good enough or something, then that doesn't help the organization. He has to keep the fan morale up, to increase support and ticket sales. I'd rather him pep talking us about how we have a chance as opposed to telling us we were in huge trouble because the tiggers will kick our asses.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
"...boy I'll tell you, Jose Valentin is the best and most exciting base runner I've ever seen and I've been in the game a looooong time"--Hawk

Still my all time favorite.

Nah, not even close. Jose has been one of the best baserunners in baseball ever since he first came up, so that statement has some merit despite being over the top. Hawk has said spiff FAR more overexaggerated and/or dumb than that.

QUOTE(holly wiggins @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
LOL! I can't stand him ... I turn the sound off and watch the game while listening to Farmer and Singleton, until Farmer gets into his "we're all doomed" mode, and then I turn off the radio and watch without commentary.

Or I when you hear Farmers dull and monotone call of a double off the wall with all the runners scoring apparently, and the SOX have just taken the lead, and your forced to listen to the CROWD to determine what just happened/who just scored. I'll take Hawk.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Worst argument in favor of Hawk ever.

No. he has a point. Hawk is most definitely an acquired taste

Last nite, HAWK CALLED IT. He was very politely, but angrily saying that stupid Vazquez has to stop getting beat with his worst pitch, which was that fat and slow curve he was throwing over the plate. When the bases were loaded, Hawk said immediately "Nows the time for the slider" and DONT throw the curve.

Vazquez wound up, threw the curve right over the plate and as soon as the Bat hit the ball .............

Hawk incredulously said Thats deep .................. game was over. you could hear it in their voices.

I'd rather have a guy who's a total homer who sticks his foot in his mouth than some dry, objective announcer. That's just me.

While I enjoy the "pros" on ESPN and Fox (except for Bermann, that jackass), I find that kind of announcing is more fun when you're watching teams that aren't yours. 'Cause it helps to make something interesting that wouldn't be otherwise.

I think Hawk trips up when he tries to be optimistic and rally the fans (hence the Detroit contradictions) but then tries to be realistic and critical. Which, to his credit, he's not afraid to do.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Or I when you hear Farmers dull and monotone call of a double off the wall with all the runners scoring apparently, and the SOX have just taken the lead, and your forced to listen to the CROWD to determine what just happened/who just scored.

How bout it, his boring, monotone style is terrible. And you're exactly right, sometimes you have to judge by the crowd to tell how well a ball was hit. Farmer is the worst.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Different strokes I guess. I want a homer...I want a fan. I don't want the same homerun call for both f***in teams. I want the annoucner to be happy when we hit one and pissed when the other team does. He's not a news reporter he's the home team announcer. If he was on ESPN or FOX, I can understand the gripe.

Bottom line, Hawk is out there to please SOX fans...Do you think Sox fans care if he is quiet after an opponent scores? I know I don't think it's unprofessional if he has to cover the mic to say a few choice words offline. He's just doing what most other sox fans are doing.

I'd rather have an announcer be a fan also. But what I don't like is when an announcer (Hawk) starts rationalizing. It's insulting to our intelligence with some of the stuff he says. Case in point is me earlier example of Hawk talking about where the pressure was right before the series started. He put it on Detroit. When we were leading last year, the pressure was on everyone chasing the Sox. This year it's on Detroit even though we're the chasers.

I have a question:

Which team is under more pressure now, Hawk????

Bob