Sox v. Tigers, Gamethread: Contreras v. Rogers, 12:05

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Thank god we are resting AJ for the royals series down the road. Posada played all 3 games against us in NY, and now it seems that IRod is playing all 3 games. This is a big series, and we keep playing subs like we are sititng on a 15 game lead.

But our players will be rested for the playoffs. Let's just hope they'll have a reason to need to be rested.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh... the sweet joys in life.....

warm fresh baked lemon muffins.... coffee with a splash of irish cream........ a 19 inch wide screen monitor...... perfectly air conditioned office space with an comfey leather chair..... 12 bucks an hour to enjoy all of the above

what could be better??

oh... i know.... BEATING THE TIGERS AT HOME WITH OUR SUNDAY LINE UP!!

Edited by hi8is

I would say that the downgrade from BA to Mack is MUCH larger than the downgrade from Podsednik to Ozuna.

Yes. In fact if I were assigning grades for defense I would give Podsednik a C- and Ozuna a D+ and I would give Anderson an A or A- with Mackowiak (playing CF) a C- . And even if one were to quibble with the grades, what does it tell you, they don't have very good backup defense in the OF. Strange for a team that prides itself on pitching and defense.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I consider Ozuna in LF much worse than Mackowiak in CF, but thats just me.

And Anderson is MUCH better in CF than Podsednik is in LF. I'd say the defensive downgrade between Podsednik to Ozuna is almost unnoticable compared to how huge it is to have a 3B/LF/RF in CF (it is the #1 or #2 most important defensive position.)

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Why is the lineup awful, Podsednik hasn't been doing much in this series anyways. I would rather have Ozuna in the lineup vs. Rogers than Mackowiak.

I would definitely have Pierzynski in there though, even though it's a day after nite game. Pierzynski really brings the competitive juices and this is a huge game.

Umm. because you are starting RH batters just plainly for the fact that they are RH. Widger is god awful at the plate and behind it. With him starting today, JC will give up at least 4 runs if not more.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
BTW, even Chris Singleton was questiong why Widger was in the game on the pregame show.

Its true. AJP is not that bad against LHP, and he calls a much better game. There is no reason to sit him today.

Resting AJ today is complete BS. Looking at the next series againt Texas:

Friday- 7:30 vs Wasdin RP

Sat.- 6:00 vs Koranka LP

Sun.- 1:00 vs Padilla RP

You know Widger is going to play Sat night as well. I'm sorry, I don't want to see this garbage 2 out of the next 3 games.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Its true. AJP is not that bad against LHP, and he calls a much better game. There is no reason to sit him today.

The same reason that Mack was patrolling CF last night. Ozzie loves to rest his starters and play what hand were you born with matchups.

If the schedule holds up, he will catch the Counts next start too. Widger behind the dish, Count on the mound, and Santana opposing them. Anyone feel really good about that one.

Umm. because you are starting RH batters just plainly for the fact that they are RH. Widger is god awful at the plate and behind it. With him starting today, JC will give up at least 4 runs if not more.

Ummm, no, Podsednik doesn't do much for me vs. Rogers, I think Ozuna has a better chance because his swing is shorter.

We'll see what happens with Widger, I realize he is SoxTalk's current whipping boy and it is what it is, so not much sense discussing it. Personally I wanted to see Pierzynski in there today primarily because he's been so awful at the plate this series and he's so competitive that I feel he'd make something happen.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Ummm, no, Podsednik doesn't do much for me vs. Rogers, I think Ozuna has a better chance because his swing is shorter.

We'll see what happens with Widger, I realize he is SoxTalk's current whipping boy and it is what it is, so not much sense discussing it. Personally I wanted to see Pierzynski in there today primarily because he's been so awful at the plate this series and he's so competitive that I feel he'd make something happen.

Along with Garcia, Vazquez, Buehrle, and Pods. Or, you know, the guys who aren't doing their jobs.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
in defense of ozzie, AJ can't play 140 games.

his bat looked slow last night as he grounded out to second softly several times.

unless they bring Stewart up from Charlotte (highly unlikely), we're going to have to live with Widgie once a week.

Once a series. It's not just once a week, which wouldn't be as bad.

So every time Contreras makes a mistake today it's Widger's fault right? Just wanted to toe the party line here in the game thread. :bang

Along with Garcia, Vazquez, Buehrle, and Pods. Or, you know, the guys who aren't doing their jobs.

Or, you know, whoever isn't perfect. Got it.