AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX LOSER

Buehrle>Wood

Quick note from the Tigers fan...

You guys realize that the Sox outscored the Tigers through this series, right? That the final game, this one, was a one-run game that could have legitimately went either way as one-run games often do? I saw much the same talk from Tigers fans after the Tigers started 0-5 against the Sox who all said that the Tigers just could not compete.

This is a small sample size. Even smaller than a playoff series. And anything can happen. While I understand that losing sucks, I am still petrified of your team far more than of the streaking Yankees or the Twins. In all seriousness, you guys should be proud of a team that is, in July, doing as well as the Sox are (and have proven themselves winners).

As you may have noticed, the Tigers offense is horrid too. The Yankees have an outfield of stiffs and a pitching staff barely held together. The Twins consist of two great pitchers and two great position players. EVERY team has holes, and in all honesty the White Sox' holes are pretty miniscule compared to those teams.

I have no clue which way this season will go, but I am still looking forward to an awesome stretch run and fully expecting the Sox to not only heat up but to make a major run. And hey, I hope it happens anyway, as the AL East has been in the playoffs far too long for my tastes anyway.

Feel free to direct any additional flames you have my way, I don't mind. :)

Edited by Zoogz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Zoogz @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Quick note from the Tigers fan...

You guys realize that the Sox outscored the Tigers through this series, right? That the final game, this one, was a one-run game that could have legitimately went either way as one-run games often do? I saw much the same talk after the Tigers started 0-5 against the Sox, about how the Tigers just could not compete.

This is a small sample size. Even smaller than a playoff game. And anything can happen. While I understand that losing sucks, I am still petrified of your team far more than of the streaking Yankees or the Twins. In all seriousness, you guys should be proud of a team that is, in July, doing as well as the Sox are (and have proven themselves winners).

As you may have noticed, the Tigers offense is horrid too. The Yankees have an outfield of stiffs and a pitching staff barely held together. The Twins consist of two great pitchers and two great position players. EVERY team has holes, and in all honesty the White Sox' holes are pretty miniscule compared to those teams.

I have no clue which way this season will go, but I am still looking forward to an awesome stretch run and fully expecting the Sox to not only heat up but to make a major run. And hey, I hope it happens anyway, as the AL East has been in the playoffs far too long for my tastes anyway.

Feel free to direct any additional flames you have my way, I don't mind. :)

Great post. Enjoy your team this year, as they're playing with as much enthusiasm and fun as our great team did last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Joe Crede in '02, ABs with half the strikeouts, 20 points lower on his OPS but 10 more HRs and 10 RBIs.

So crede's 6th season in the minors?

.312 .359 .571

Fields 2nd season

.325 .402 .548

I would say Fields is a little ahead of Joe's curve.

im rather sure, but not 100% sure that reed was never top 10....i think he was always like 30 something

I think he was, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone remember how highly Joe Borchard was ranked? You don't want to know. Highly ranked prospects OFTEN don't pan out. That's why you trade them to make your team better when you have the chance to win the WS this year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
This is off-topic, but weren't you the one guarnanteeing to everybody that Ross Gload was done in the organization and had no chance in hell of making the team?

i didnt want him on the team, and I said the the org hated him. Not sure about a guarantee though. And finally, what is your point?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)

.312 .359 .571

Fields 2nd season

.325 .402 .548

All you're doing is going on 1 year, 1 YEAR! It's impossible to compare anyone that way. Take a look at Borchard's '01 & '02 numbers, his 1st and 2nd full years in the minors, pretty damn good if you ask me.

.312 .359 .571

Fields 2nd season

.325 .402 .548

And what the heck is Fields "curve" going to be? He has a lot more to prove. Maybe he won't do this well ever again. Maybe he'll do better. My point is that one great season in the minors does not a great prospect make.

Do you get this dewy over ever prospect who has a great half season?

Here here to the Tigers fan for his straight-up post!

Cheers!

And like people have said: enjoy it, dude. It's magical and as you can now see... it doesn't necessarily happen again.

BTW I cannot believe how packed Comerica is now. Been there a few times, never seen it like that.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
I think he was, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone remember how highly Joe Borchard was ranked? You don't want to know. Highly ranked prospects OFTEN don't pan out. That's why you trade them to make your team better when you have the chance to win the WS this year.

borchard was as high as 6 as far as i can remember

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
And what the heck is Fields "curve" going to be? He has a lot more to prove. Maybe he won't do this well ever again. Maybe he'll do better. My point is that one great season in the minors does not a great prospect make.

Do you get this dewy over ever prospect who has a great half season?

Fact is, I hate prospect, I think we should trade them all and not look back, so that facet of your argument is going nowhere my friend. You just arent giving his production enough credit. He has flat out been one of the most dominant hitters in AAA. Not A ball, not AA Birmy, AAA ball for god sakes. Not only that, but he raked in ST as well.

Two moves, Kenny.

a.) Brady Clark. Gives us a real platoon partner for Podsednik, and it guarantees Mackowiak won't see much CF in the second half. They have Gross and Hall who can play CF, and Hart (?) can fill in the corners. They could use pitching, so maybe Phillips/Haeger plus a lesser prospect could get it done?

b.) Yorvit Torrealba. Gives us a legit backup catcher, someone who can mash lefties a bit better than The Widge (not my idea -- his). Make Widger, a 'vet' who was on last year's ballclub but isn't doing jack this year, the sacrificial lamb. They have Closser already, so Torrealba is going to get limited ABs. I assume that Colorado needs pitching -- would a knuckler fit well in Coors?

I doubt Kenny's trading a top prospect for a reliever. I just don't think that's the way he 'rolls'...

i didnt want him on the team, and I said the the org hated him. Not sure about a guarantee though. And finally, what is your point?

Well, no, I think I recall you adamantly (sp?) telling me how Ross had no chance at making the team. My point is, you seem to throw around these guarantees so freely ("this divisional race is over!"), yet never see you eat 'yer crow when you're wrong.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Bad example. Borchard never raked in AAA like Fields. His best year was in AA ball.

You mean AAA Charlotte which is a huge hitters park and is currently in the incredibly weak IL? So basically what you're doing is trying to find a prospect who had a high batting average and hit a bunch of homeruns in AAA for one season but it has to be one of his first few seasons while ignoring all past and future performance?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
when was that? If im wrong I admit im wrong. Would you like to check out the Corey Patterson thread in ATH? Thanks for playingl.

Still haven't seen anything w/r/t Gload, so...

waiting

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Still haven't seen anything w/r/t Gload, so...

waiting

Waiting for what exactly?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
You mean AAA Charlotte which is a huge hitters park and is currently in the incredibly pitching weak IL? So basically what you're doing is trying to find a prospect who had a high batting average and hit a bunch of homeruns in AAA for one season but it has to be one of his first few seasons while ignoring all past and future performance?

huh? You lost me there. Are you saying Borchard put up better numbers in his minor league days? Because his OBP and OPS never touched what Fields has done so far this year, its a fact.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Waiting for what exactly?

huh? You lost me there. Are you saying Borchard put up better numbers in his minor league days? Because his OBP and OPS never touched what Fields has done so far this year, its a fact.

Ugh

- Charlotte is a hitters park

- The IL is incredibly weak this season.

- You are only looking at a half a season of offensive production.

- You are looking to compare this half a season to someone elses full season.

- You only want to compare AAA numbers to AAA numbers.

- You only want to compare players who have done this in their first 3 years in the minors.

- You want to ignore all past and future performances while only focusing on a single season.

- How exactly does any of this make sense?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Ugh

- Charlotte is a hitters park- agreed but the other players have played in the park as well with worse numbers

- The IL is incredibly weak this season.- honestly, no idea

- You are only looking at a half a season of offensive production.- sure, but so was Crede's that we were looking at

- You are looking to compare this half a season to someone elses full season.- thats the only way I can do it, you can just cut stats in half

- You only want to compare AAA numbers to AAA numbers.- well its the easiest comparison. A ball isnt the same as AAA ball

- You only want to compare players who have done this in their first 3 years in the minors.-never said that, but its a good comparison of talent prgression.

- You want to ignore all past and future performances while only focusing on a single season.- not true, but there is no future seasons for Fields, and this is really his 2nd full season.

I'd like to suggest one particular problem with NOT trading Fields.

Fields may indeed turn out to be a great hitter - seems like a possibility. But the thing is, from what I've seen myself (limited) and read, his fielding is just plain terrible. The guy seems to be a 1B/DH in the making.

So, that being the case, where would he fit in with the Sox organization in the next few years? Barring us trading or losing Konerko or Thome (which is not out of the question of course), and with Crede doing so well, I just don't see where he can go. And unless Crede's contract demands in 2008 turn out to be ludicrous, I hate the idea of seeing Fields playing at 3B with the iron glove.

So, as far as I am concerned, I think he is the perfect guy to trade.

:huh

Two moves, Kenny.

a.) Brady Clark. Gives us a real platoon partner for Podsednik, and it guarantees Mackowiak won't see much CF in the second half. They have Gross and Hall who can play CF, and Hart (?) can fill in the corners. They could use pitching, so maybe Phillips/Haeger plus a lesser prospect could get it done?

b.) Yorvit Torrealba. Gives us a legit backup catcher, someone who can mash lefties a bit better than The Widge (not my idea -- his). Make Widger, a 'vet' who was on last year's ballclub but isn't doing jack this year, the sacrificial lamb. They have Closser already, so Torrealba is going to get limited ABs. I assume that Colorado needs pitching -- would a knuckler fit well in Coors?

I doubt Kenny's trading a top prospect for a reliever. I just don't think that's the way he 'rolls'...

One of the better and more realistic posts I've seen here in a while, nice job Keith.

I would prefer Blanco but Torrealba is a good thought as well. As for the knuckler in that thin air, I would say no.

Rock, If you know nothing about the IL then how can you make claims like these? There's a reason why the Knights are kicking everyone's ass this season and Heath Phillips, Charlie Heager, Chad Durbin, Josh Phelps and Kevin Witt are all dominating the International League.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Two moves, Kenny.

Well, no, I think I recall you adamantly (sp?) telling me how Ross had no chance at making the team. My point is, you seem to throw around these guarantees so freely ("this divisional race is over!"), yet never see you eat 'yer crow when you're wrong.

Interesting. I don't know much about Torrealba. How's his defense? Just curious.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Rock, If you know nothing about the IL then how can you make claims like these? There's a reason why the Knights are kicking everyone's ass this season and Heath Phillips, Charlie Heager, Chad Durbin, Josh Phelps and Kevin Witt are all dominating the International League.

Im just comparing stats of the players, I have made that clear from the outset. I really dont care if we trade him, I just think he is better than many people think.