sox in run for soriano

beleiveinbrian44

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beleiveinbrian44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
pods would go bye bye as in where????

I'm assuming he'd becoe the fourth OFer.

If Pods isn't stealing bases, he's basically useless to the team. His OBP is nothing to smile about. He has no power. His defense is below average and he can't hit lefties.

If Pods doesn't do the one thing he excels at, there's no reaso to have him starting.

Bob

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
Rosenthal seemed to suggest that the mariners were the most aggressive in pursuing Soriano. A three way with some bullpen help--Mateo, Rafael Soriano-- coming the sox way?

Phil Rogers said this in his latest piece;

A lot of teams, including the White Sox, have asked about Seattle reliever Rafael Soriano. . . .

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Soriano is a selfish assclown though...generally kenny stays away from them

The sox have been mentioned over the yrs as interested in him. BTW-what and how do you know that about Rafael or are you talking about Alphonso?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Phil Rogers said this in his latest piece;

Though he's coming back from injury, he's throwing great. Sea. may think he's at his peak and deal him before he gets hurt. Sea. could move Ibanez to DH.

The Nats could use arms like Phillips, Haeger, Tracey etc.

Honestly, I rather have Alfonso instead of many of the crappy relievers thrown out there. He's better defensively than Pods, he's a legit 40-40 threat, and rejuvenates the team almost singlehandedly. A reliever really wouldn't do that. Right now, bullpen really isn't the problem, it's the starters.

I say we go for Alfonso Soriano and Rheal Cormier in a 3 way.

Edited by nitetrain8601

A three team with the sox, M's and Nats, revolving around the key players Freddy for us, the two Soriano's, with the M's Soriano coming here? The Nats don't seem to be rebuilding with prospects but rather proven players. Add in a prospect from Sea. and the sox going to the nats, I could see a deal going forth.

If we're replacing Pods, I'd much rather have Chone Figgins than Soriano who would probably make this team even more "home-run hitty, 3-run blast or nothing" reliant. At least Figgins would give us an everyday player that does what Podsednik is supposed to do.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
If we're replacing Pods, I'd much rather have Chone Figgins than Soriano who would probably make this team even more "home-run hitty, 3-run blast or nothing" reliant. At le past Figgins would give us an everyday player that does what Podsednik is supposed to do.
I agree 100%...Figgins would add speed, defense versitality. Weren't those (together with great starting/relief pitchinig) the key elements of the formula enabling us to be World Champs?

Soriano would give us yet another basher.

Essential question: What is the philosophy of this team:ower or pitching & defense?

This team needs to get back to doing what made them 2005 World Series Champions.

Edited by SadChiSoxFanOptimist

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I agree 100%...Figgins would add speed, defense versitality. Weren't those (together with great starting/relief pitchinig) the key elements of the formula enabling us to be World Champs?

Soriano would give us yet another basher.

Essential question: What is the philosophy of this team:ower or pitching & defense?

This team needs to get back to doing what made them 2006 World Series Champions.

Well they havent won the 2006 title quite yet. But I do agree with you, this team has too many bashers and not enough contact hitters with speed. A guy like Figgins would make alot more sense than soriano. This 2006 teams is slowly reminding me of the 2003 White Sox team. That team just missed the playoffs because when they weren't hitting homeruns, they were losing, kind of like how we are now.

I'd surely be an interesting deal. Kiss McCarthy goodbye, and porbably another upper-tier prospect too.

It'd be nice to have him at US Cellular Field to where he could hit pretty well. Whats suprised me is that RFK stadiumhasn't supressed his offense a bit (.293/.380/.646, 16 homers at home).

I'd say No, even with my desire to rid the White Sox of players such as Podsednik. They'd probably end up moving Pods to CF anyway.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we're replacing Pods, I'd much rather have Chone Figgins than Soriano who would probably make this team even more "home-run hitty, 3-run blast or nothing" reliant. At least Figgins would give us an everyday player that does what Podsednik is supposed to do.

One problem, Figgins is not on the block. Soriano is.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but Kenny was on am 1000 before the game [around 12:35-12:55pm] and basically mentioned Alphonso Soriano. In essence KW said that he could very well make a trade for an impact guy to prevent competitors from getting him and then turn around and trade him for more than he's worth.

This is Soriano in a nut shell. With Det, NYY looking to land him, getting him and then dealing him to a NL team or to a team like Sea that are a long shot to make the playoffs, the sox could fill holes and keep the main competition weaker.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but Kenny was on am 1000 before the game [around 12:35-12:55pm] and basically mentioned Alphonso Soriano. In essence KW said that he could very well make a trade for an impact guy to prevent competitors from getting him and then turn around and trade him for more than he's worth.

This is Soriano in a nut shell. With Det, NYY looking to land him, getting him and then dealing him to a NL team or to a team like Sea that are a long shot to make the playoffs, the sox could fill holes and keep the main competition weaker.

It'd be nice if we could pick up Soriano and then trade him for pieces, but there's no way we could do it, I don't think, without wounding our team. We'd have to give him up, and Pods/McCarthy might have a lot to do with it; if not them, then McCarthy and a bunch of prospects. What would we get trading to Seattle -- Ichiro? It'd be awesome, but I doubt it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
It'd be nice if we could pick up Soriano and then trade him for pieces, but there's no way we could do it, I don't think, without wounding our team. We'd have to give him up, and Pods/McCarthy might have a lot to do with it; if not them, then McCarthy and a bunch of prospects. What would we get trading to Seattle -- Ichiro? It'd be awesome, but I doubt it.

No way is BMac being moved. At worst, Freddy would be involved as he can't hit 90 mph. Yesterday he got very lucky the Rangers hit the ball at people, and had solid defense behind him. Freddy and a few prospects [say a SP like Haeger or Phillips and a bullpen arm, say Adam Russell or Lucas Harrell].

My guess is the sox could turn around and deal Soriano for bullpen help. Sea. is most aggressively going after Alphonso. KW would ask for Rafael Soriano and a prospect or two in return

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)

I wouldn't be opposed to renting Soriano and taking the 2 draft picks we get when he leaves in the offseason. As long as McCarthy and Anderson don't move.

Edited by Balta1701

he [podsednick] is becoming a liability on the field and isn't producing the way they expected the table setter to

-----------------------------------

are you kidding me? podz is actually having a better year at this time then he did last year (except for the SB).. he has more HR, more RBIs, about the saem BA, and better OBP.

QUOTE(korntownballa @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
he [podsednick] is becoming a liability on the field and isn't producing the way they expected the table setter to

are you kidding me? podz is actually having a better year at this time then he did last year (except for the SB).. he has more HR, more RBIs, about the saem BA, and better OBP.

That still doesn't mean he's a good player.

QUOTE(korntownballa @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)

Just because he's better than he was last year doesn't make him good.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Honestly, I rather have Alfonso instead of many of the crappy relievers thrown out there. He's better defensively than Pods, he's a legit 40-40 threat, and rejuvenates the team almost singlehandedly. A reliever really wouldn't do that. Right now, bullpen really isn't the problem, it's the starters.

I say we go for Alfonso Soriano and Rheal Cormier in a 3 way.

A bullpen can make a starting staff better. All it takes is a good 1-2 combo in the rotation if you have a solid pen. Just look at the Twins success for all these years.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
A bullpen can make a starting staff better. All it takes is a good 1-2 combo in the rotation if you have a solid pen. Just look at the Twins success for all these years.

Yes, they never wont the World Series. Also, a bullpen with no long relievers or guys used as long relief(unless the game goes to extra innings) doesn't change the fact that the SP are giving up 6 or 7 runs because of their "bad inning". I rather have Soriano and keep him if possible.