Detroit Tigers World Series Thread

Heads22

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Just give the Tigers their due. They're flat gettin' it done. Notice they know how to finish off a team after taking the first two.

Seriously though, Wilfredo Ledezma? At this rate, it seems like you could stick Arnie Munoz and Danny Wright in their starting rotation and somehow they'd start throwing shutouts.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Seriously though, Wilfredo Ledezma? At this rate, it seems like you could stick Arnie Munoz and Danny Wright in their starting rotation and somehow they'd start throwing shutouts.

True. Seems like the baseball gods are definitely wearing Tiger caps this year.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
if the sox have any inkling of hope for the division this week they need to beat anaheim, take 2/3 from the yanks then sweep the tigers. no exceptions, otherwise I bet were going to be looking at the wildcard

Best way to get the Tigers on a losing streak? Start it ourselves. It happened last year.

So, we've got Buehrle against the Angels, Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez against the Yanks, and Contreras, Buehrle, and Garcia against the Tigers.

Man, I wish Garcia wasn't the one pitching twice against those 2 teams.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Best way to get the Tigers on a losing streak? Start it ourselves. It happened last year.

So, we've got Buehrle against the Angels, Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez against the Yanks, and Contreras, Buehrle, and Garcia against the Tigers.

Man, I wish Garcia wasn't the one pitching twice against those 2 teams.

We still have a shot at this division. The odds are most definitely not with us, but we can go through this next stretch without losing more than two games, preferably sweeping Detroit, we'll be in good shape. We can win this division in those head-to-head matchups. I don't mind Garcia pitching, I don't expect him to dominate, but he'll keep us in games.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
We still have a shot at this division. The odds are most definitely not with us, but we can go through this next stretch without losing more than two games, preferably sweeping Detroit, we'll be in good shape. We can win this division in those head-to-head matchups. I don't mind Garcia pitching, I don't expect him to dominate, but he'll keep us in games.

Detroit has to play 23-28 the rest of the way, and we have to match our win total from last year (and go 34-19). And that senario would mean we win 99 and they win 98.

I'm not betting on that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Detroit has to play 23-28 the rest of the way, and we have to match our win total from last year (and go 34-19). And that senario would mean we win 99 and they win 98.

I'm not betting on that.

If you overthink it, you're not gonna feel like it's gonna work. Just like thinking about hitting that tiny ball coming at you at 90 mph with a tiny little wooden stick sure seems like an impossible task. We have the luxury of having the ability to take away 10 of their games, which we need to take advantage of.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
If you overthink it, you're not gonna feel like it's gonna work. Just like thinking about hitting that tiny ball coming at you at 90 mph with a tiny little wooden stick sure seems like an impossible task. We have the luxury of having the ability to take away 10 of their games, which we need to take advantage of.

So let's say we play GREAT against the Tigers in those 10 games and go 7-3. That means we have a 5 game defecit with them having 41 games left and us 43. I still think the odds are very low at that point.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
So let's say we play GREAT against the Tigers in those 10 games and go 7-3. That means we have a 5 game defecit with them having 41 games left and us 43. I still think the odds are very low at that point.

All we have to do then is outplay them by 6 games. Don't think about what they have to do, just think about what we have to do. Which is just play great, something we all know we can do.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
All we have to do then is outplay them by 6 games. Don't think about what they have to do, just think about what we have to do. Which is just play great, something we all know we can do.

Yeah, if we go 7-3 or 8-2 against the Tigers, we'd have an actual shot. I think anything less than a sweep against them next weekend is a big shot to our division hopes (even though 2 of 3 helps us big time in the WC against a team as good as they are).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Yeah, if we go 7-3 or 8-2 against the Tigers, we'd have an actual shot. I think anything less than a sweep against them next weekend is a big shot to our division hopes (even though 2 of 3 helps us big time in the WC against a team as good as they are).

tigers have gone 14-1-1 in their last 16 series. it's possible they'll blow the central, but highly unlikely. plus, that would kill the season for the lions. we all know that that's not going to happen. :7)

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
Tigers win. Are you fishing kidding me...

Pudge is the most annoying player in the league, no player showboats/celebrates like he does.

Yeah, last night's celebration was definitely a little too outrageous. There's a difference between just being psyched and going overboard.

Remember last year when Gomes hit a walkoff homer against the Tigers? Pudge was pretty upset at his reaction, but he turns around and does something very similar.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Yeah, last night's celebration was definitely a little too outrageous. There's a difference between just being psyched and going overboard.

Remember last year when Gomes hit a walkoff homer against the Tigers? Pudge was pretty upset at his reaction, but he turns around and does something very similar.

Pudge's reaction was over the top, but as I recall from this incident last year, Pudge was more upset because Gomes not only stared down his homer for about 10 minutes, but then flipped his helmet at him, which I think would upset just about anyone.

Edit: As for Ledezma, he was actually a highly touted prospect who did fairly well in the majors in 2004, before bombing last year and then getting hurt, he'd bounced back strongly in AAA this year so I don't think today's performance was too shocking.

Edited by loltrain

QUOTE(loltrain @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Pudge's reaction was over the top, but as I recall from this incident last year, Pudge was more upset because Gomes not only stared down his homer for about 10 minutes, but then flipped his helmet at him, which I think would upset just about anyone.

Edit: As for Ledezma, he was actually a highly touted prospect who did fairly well in the majors in 2004, before bombing last year and then getting hurt, he'd bounced back strongly in AAA this year so I don't think today's performance was too shocking.

He tossed the helmet right before he jumped into the mob at home plate when Pudge was trying to yell at him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
He tossed the helmet right before he jumped into the mob at home plate when Pudge was trying to yell at him.

well, duh. pudge is the enemy. he's supposed to annoy you when he does stuff that, if he were on your team, you'd find endearing. i enjoyed the home run run. if it had been against my team, i'd have found it beyond offensive. :7)

To move away from the quipping and arguments I was reading about the Miller contract that the Tigers just signed with their 1st round pick.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/262119.html

I'm not the best person to judge this because I have only seen Miller throw three pitches (in the CWS this year) but does he have the stuff to join the Tigers in Sept?

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
To move away from the quipping and arguments I was reading about the Miller contract that the Tigers just signed with their 1st round pick.

I'm not the best person to judge this because I have only seen Miller throw three pitches (in the CWS this year) but does he have the stuff to join the Tigers in Sept?

Its not a good move in the long run. The quicker he gets to the majors, the quicker his arbitration clock starts to tick. Isnt he a boras client.

I don't think so but Boras could be part of this group

Both are clients of agents Darek Braunecker, Jim Lindell and Mark Rodgers, whose firm, Frontline Athlete Management, also negotiated the record $1.3 million deal of Cubs 11th-round pick Chris Huseby.

QUOTE(MichiganBorn @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)

It's all about his fastball. If he can locate it (he occasionally had some troubles doing that in the CWS) then he will be more than fine in the majors as his slider is already a major league plus pitch. His slider reminds me so much of Randy Johnson's. He also needs to fine tune his changeup (obviously in college a changeup is a uneccessary pitch as it is very difficult to saw guys off who are using metal bats)...but he probably won't need the change until it's time for him to be a full time starter.

Coming out of the bullpen though he should be fine with just his two seam (89-93), four seam (94-97) and slider (78-83).

AW_AndrewMiller.jpg

Edited by JackTalkThai