Jermaine Dye's defensive abilities.

YASNY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely crazy. Even though it's likely he won't match this season, (It's hard to piece together back-to-back MVP caliber seasons) he is definitely worth the $6 million. He's definitely good for .300/30/100 next year, at the least. IMO he's a good defender in right field. We can put Sweeney in LF next year if he shows us another ST like he has the past two seasons.

And last but not least, we have done incredibly well in getting rid of Magglio. Jermaine has outperformed him in every facet of the game, and we are paying him so much less money that it has allowed to get other important contributors. (Tadahito and AJ, among others, are players likely not to have been signed without Maggs walking away from his $14M a year.)

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
I don't dislike Jermaine at all! I think he's been a terrific add for the Sox, and almost an even replacement for Maggs as a better team member at a reasonable salary. We both know that JD wasn't the WS MVP last year -- it was Crede and the starters.

Jermaine will be 33. I disagree that the's above average OF. He's slowing down, makes some strong plays and butchers others. He's just an average RF'r in a below average OF. As other posters note, he (nor any of the other Sox OFrs that I can recall) haven't thrown out any runners at the plate...Think about how many SOX players have been thrown out! We've seen JDs best days and it's downhill from here. The Sox cannot ignore ANY opportunity to improve OF defense, increase team speed and overall "small ball" offensive execution if we want to remain competitive with the Tigers and Twins in the toughest division in baseball. (Improved pitching will help too... ;) ) We need focus on the team, not just love the players.

After 2005 Kenny Williams doesn't have to find cheap players and hope they play beyond their best years. He'll have zero loyalty to past accomplishments and total focus on improving all areas of this team.

I think you're absolutely right. I wish KW had called up Dombrowski on the 31st of July and offered Dye straight up for Marcus Thames. Of course Dombrowski would probably take the deal, seeing that MVP-esque #'s that Dye has put up this season. But you and I know that having a player of that calibre is nothing but a death sentence for your team, ala 2005 White Sox, and that a guy like Thames who can't hit but has a bit of speed and plays average D, that's what makes teams winners. Damnit, KW really let us down.

There's logic to some of the things he's saying ... the need to improve team speed, outfield defense and Dye peaking this year. However, I still can't see the Sox just saying "Thanks and good luck" to Jermaine after this year. Moving Dye to LF and inserting Sweeney or a young, reasonably fast young OF with gap power and a good OBP would improve the OF defense, if BA plays 98% of the games in CF. Considering I think Pods is the one to get the "Thanks and good luck" this offseason, our team speed and leadoff hitter will have to come from elsewhere.

This team's offseason decisions are mostly going to relate to pitching.

Right field is SET for next year, barring an injury.

Any money they'd spend searching for a "better fit" in RF would be better spent on a leadoff-hitting LEFT fielder, now that Podsednik has apparently stopped bunting and stealing bases.

The idea of replacing someone on the abstract basis of "decline", while said player is still producing at a very respectable rate, is strange to me.

You shouldn't replace areas of strength until you've addressed areas of weakness.

Dye's option will be picked up. His OF defense is average, maybe just a bit over. His bat, clubhouse leadership and presence, clutch play in his 2 yrs, and very cheap 2007 option are a few reasons why he's a very good fit for the sox in 2007. 2008 might be a stretch, though he could move to DH when Thome retires. However, if Dye continues this pace of hitting his contract demands might be too much for the sox to take on.

The place to upgrade is in LF. I don't think Dye will switch from RF. Sweeney will probably go there, as long as the sox can get a leadoff hitter at SS. There are few leadoff options from LF around the league. But an improvement in LF over Pods with Brian and Jermaine will be a fine OF defense.

Yeah if there's going to be a replacement in the OF next season it'll come at LF, and it won't be for Jermaine Dye.

And there are options which are upgrades over Pods like say a David Dellucci, Gary Matthews Jr. etc. who could fill in that leadoff spot for you.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
I think Dye is the kind of person that would move to LF if a better defender for RF were found.

The guy is a classy, classy individual. He took less money to come here because he made a verbal agreement with KW. You're not going to find many guys like him in baseball.

I honestly thought I had read it all on this site....and then I read the last few pages of this thread. He's been our best overall player this season, and he actually seems to be getting better at the plate as he gets older.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
I honestly thought I had read it all on this site....and then I read the last few pages of this thread. He's been our best overall player this season, and he actually seems to be getting better at the plate as he gets older.

This is almost the first time in his career he has been healthy for three consecutive seasons. Playing everyday will tend to help you improve at the plate. When JD came up with the Braves the sky was the limit in his talent, IMO injuries are the only thing that held him back. Hes flourishing now.

With all this being said, I see no way we pick up his option for next year. :bang

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
This is almost the first time in his career he has been healthy for three consecutive seasons. Playing everyday will tend to help you improve at the plate. When JD came up with the Braves the sky was the limit in his talent, IMO injuries are the only thing that held him back. Hes flourishing now.

With all this being said, I see no way we pick up his option for next year. :bang

I see no way we don't pick up his option next year.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
I see no way we don't pick up his option next year.

At the end of last year, the only thing that would have stopped us was his legs falling off. His legs could fall off now and his torso would make $6 million.