Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?

LVSoxFan

Uribe better not get lazy in the field, thats the only thing he's good at. He needs to show ozzie that he cares for this team by going balls out on defensive and having good AB's on offensive. He has done neither and cintron is running circles around him

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
You're talking about Cintron?

I put the laugh icon up because I thought your comment about "not having very good range" was said about Uribe. You're right; I don't think Cintron does have very good range, either, although it's perfectly acceptable from a backup player.

Yes, I was talking about Cintron having bad range.

Kudos to Ozzie for getting on them for corpseball. I would've over-turned a table in the clubhouse a month ago.

That said, Juan is a phenominal defensive player and I want him in the black and white pinstripes for at least the next few years.

Guys, I just want to make one thing clear.

Alex Cintron couldn't hold Juan Uribe's jock strap. Ozzie is sending Juan a much needed message, but lets not forget the same thing was done at times to Andruw Jones as well.

Bottom line, Juan Uribe is one of the 3 best defensive shortstops in baseball and one of the very best shortstops in the game (outside of the upper echelon guys).

All this stuff saying he's not a good shortstop and yada yada yada is so much phony baloney its ridiculous. Get out and watch some baseball instead of burying your heads in the stat sheet. You watch Juan over the course of the season and watch other team's shortstops and you'll be real happy we have Juan.

Not saying Juan couldn't do some things better, but he is what he is. If he ever improves in a few areas he could be a full blown superstar, but I don't think that will ever happen.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
always appreciate Juan for the two final plays in Houston last season.

But ... he does cruise control it at SS too often. Hope Ozzie sends a similar message to a few others, starting with Pods.

It's time to kick it in gear and put a big winning streak together.

He was motivated in the playoffs and the World Series last year. Maybe that is what made the difference. 162 games is a long haul and possibly occassionally he goes into a funk. As you said maybe some others too and they need to get a boot in the rear to get focused

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Maybe Oz should yell at Uribe every day.

He may be a good defender, but I'd give him a C for his performance

so far this year.

Wouldn't you agree C is all he gets?

D. His defense has to be better than this if he's going to hit .220.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:54 AM)
Ok, so his numbers have gone up a little bit since I last looked at his player card. Make it a D+.

Here's my thinking on Uribe....he's playing a hell of a lot better now than he was earlier in the year. His defense has slumped for the last week or so....it happens. As soon as he gets his release point back on his throws, he'll be someone who actually isn't a "problem". We have a lot more holes to worry about than Uribe. Our infield is excellent overall.

Uribe, WHEN FOCUSED, is one of the top 3-5 defensive SS in the league, I honestly don't even think that is debatable. Here lately though, he just seems...distant, I don't know...complete lack of concentration. Maybe its a problem where he can only focus on one part of his game at a time, offense or defense!! :P

I really question Uribe's intelligence after last night's game. Think about this. You are playing your first game since being benched for lack of intensity and focus on defense. And in this first game, you take a one-handed swipe at a foul pop-up, and you drop it.

If he didn't know to use two hands THE FIRST DAY BACK FROM BEING BENCHED, then he's an idiot. And Uribe is one of my favorite Sox players.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
I really question Uribe's intelligence after last night's game. Think about this. You are playing your first game since being benched for lack of intensity and focus on defense. And in this first game, you take a one-handed swipe at a foul pop-up, and you drop it.

If he didn't know to use two hands THE FIRST DAY BACK FROM BEING BENCHED, then he's an idiot. And Uribe is one of my favorite Sox players.

Our guys never, ever use two hands. I think it's funny that happened to Uribe. As I said in another post, he's been amazing ever since he's been with the Sox at catching anything in the air that touches his glove. We've given everyone else a chance to work over their problems this year....Uribe deserves the chance to work out of his recent slump.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Our guys never, ever use two hands. I think it's funny that happened to Uribe. As I said in another post, he's been amazing ever since he's been with the Sox at catching anything in the air that touches his glove. We've given everyone else a chance to work over their problems this year....Uribe deserves the chance to work out of his recent slump.

TIMO!!!