SNL classic skit

juddling

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)

Dare taken.

God, Fallon breaks character on his first line. Everybody is breaking their composure except for Darrell Hammond.

No laughs -- just a few expletives towards Fallon.

/Daily Show is the new comedy mecca where up and comers come to cut their comedy teeth. The king of late night comedy is dead. Long live the king!

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Dare taken.

God, Fallon breaks character on his first line. Everybody is breaking their composure except for Darrell Hammond.

No laughs -- just a few expletives towards Fallon.

/Daily Show is the new comedy mecca where up and comers come to cut their comedy teeth. The king of late night comedy is dead. Long live the king!

This is for looking at the camera and laughing in every sketch you've ever been in!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Does anyone actually think Fallon is funny? I can't stand him. I'd like to take a swing at him with a barbed-wire bat.

I like him. However, one former alum that I just can't absolutly frickin stand is Rob Schneider. I want to punch that guy in the face so badly. Bad movie after bad movie after bad movie.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Does anyone actually think Fallon is funny? I can't stand him. I'd like to take a swing at him with a barbed-wire bat.

I do only because he was so bad on SNL. He would always break character and I love when that happens.

However, if every character broke down all the time, it wouldn't become funny: it would become stupid.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
There is always good reason for rage when talking about modern SNL. That show hasn't been funny since the mid 80's and it just keeps getting worse and worse. Terrible show. That Prospector thing was stupid.

"But it's a different kind of war." :bang

I think you could make a case for the early 90s (if you appreciate slapstick humor) with Farley, Spade and some of the early Ferrell/Tim Meadows work as to when it stopped being funny...with those guys being the last gasps of laughter to come out of that show.

But SNL has jumped the shark. I dunno if they can do anything to get it back on track to remotely rival the hilarity of the glory days. It's become an institution and it is crumbling right now with "Night at the Roxbury was funny for about 2 minutes on the show. We gotta make a 90+ minute cinematic offering of it! It'll be gold!" mindset, the poor writing, the lack of hunger on the part of Lorne Michaels to create a quality staff that is actually funny and poor execution by the stars during the show (i.e. breaking character and laughing at every damn line)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
There is always good reason for rage when talking about modern SNL. That show hasn't been funny since the mid 80's and it just keeps getting worse and worse. Terrible show. That Prospector thing was stupid.

I think that SNL has currently a habit of being dragged along wherever society has taken it. The more pre-packaged, dumbed down, and sold off for marketing society has become, the more SNL has become dumbed down and loaded with pop culture jokes.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
"But it's a different kind of war." :bang

I think you could make a case for the early 90s (if you appreciate slapstick humor) with Farley, Spade and some of the early Ferrell/Tim Meadows work as to when it stopped being funny...with those guys being the last gasps of laughter to come out of that show.

But SNL has jumped the shark. I dunno if they can do anything to get it back on track to remotely rival the hilarity of the glory days. It's become an institution and it is crumbling right now with "Night at the Roxbury was funny for about 2 minutes on the show. We gotta make a 90+ minute cinematic offering of it! It'll be gold!" mindset, the poor writing, the lack of hunger on the part of Lorne Michaels to create a quality staff that is actually funny and poor execution by the stars during the show (i.e. breaking character and laughing at every damn line)

Alot of salty old men on this board.

Roxbury was hilarious, many people in my gerneration love the movie. The 90's were funny, and Farrell's whole time there was unreal it was so funny. Yeah the old 70's had some good humor, but to each generation has its own set of jokes etc. Calling certain time periods the "glory days" really just means it was a long time ago. Between great casts there is always a lull. Its just the period afterwards which makes it worth it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Alot of salty old men on this board.

Roxbury was hilarious, many people in my gerneration love the movie. The 90's were funny, and Farrell's whole time there was unreal it was so funny. Yeah the old 70's had some good humor, but to each generation has its own set of jokes etc. Calling certain time periods the "glory days" really just means it was a long time ago. Between great casts there is always a lull. Its just the period afterwards which makes it worth it.

Uh, Rock, I'm 23. I'm not that much of a salty old man.

I'm just saying that most of the SNL produced films were total pantloads (Roxbury, Superstar, Ladies Man etc.) Will Ferrell's time on SNL was funny but I liked the humor better when Farley and Hartman were doing the same style of things.

Yes, I'll agree that some sketches like Jeopardy! were funny -- but that was as much Hammond carrying the bit as Connery than anything else.

Calling something the glory days doesn't necessarily mean a long time ago. It just means a time when the sketches were actually funny -- which is something SNL hasn't been since the mid-90s.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)

I'm just saying that most of the SNL produced films were total pantloads (Roxbury, Superstar, Ladies Man etc.) Will Ferrell's time on SNL was funny but I liked the humor better when Farley and Hartman were doing the same style of things.

Yes, I'll agree that some sketches like Jeopardy! were funny -- but that was as much Hammond carrying the bit as Connery than anything else.

Calling something the glory days doesn't necessarily mean a long time ago. It just means a time when the sketches were actually funny -- which is something SNL hasn't been since the mid-90s.

Im older than you, and people of our age group, at least people I went to school with thought that many of those films are hilarious. Maybe you are just a salty man? The 90's were a good time, but when they burst on the scene people were saying that they werent as funny as the 80's and the 70's etc etc. its the same pattern over and over again. Glory days is just a rosy memory of things past.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)

love ferrel. roxbury is hilarious. it doesn't belong in the same sentence as superstar and ladie's man...

snl's biggest downfalls as of late have been writing and not having the right mix of castmembers together (further this problem by casting a couple idiots). those are two reasons that much of the 70s-early 90s were good.

Find me one person on the new SNL that has a glimmer of the talent that Bill Murray has. Or John Belushi...or Chevy Chase in his prime...or Gilda Radner.

Will Ferrell is the best that show has turned out since Eddie Murphy, and no matter how much I might enjoy Ferrell, even he is nothing compared to those guys in their prime.

I will agree with the generational thing to a degree, but with Murray and Belushi especially, there was no generation divide. Heck, I hear younger people speak poorly about Sandler as much as people my age. He yells...a lot...is that humor (sit down Mr. Kinison)? That divide rarely happened with Murray.

Hey, but if you like SNL and all it's cast, then what the heck, ignore me. I'm old and forgetting where I put my dentures anyways.