Where do you think the Sox will be at seasons end?

chisoxdavid

I remember reading a few post saying the Sox were done, and just want to know how some of you feel. i know some have freaked out and started yelling the end of the world is coming but dont know if thats how it gets in here when the Sox go on a bad streak.

I think the Sox will make the playoffs via wildcard...... What do you guys think? Should we gun for the division or wildcard?

We will win the central. I don't think this team is firing on all cylinders yet. We had a taste of it in May. It will come back together in August. We are going to put a Rodney King style ass beatin on the Yankees and the Tigers this week and once again every pitcher in the AL will fear our line up and every hitter in the AL will fear our starting 5 and closer. The Yankees will be the wild card and the Tigers will be on the outside looking in.

Get into the playoff, then we'll talk. To me, it's a three-team race now with one lost out in the end - the Red Sox, White Sox and Yankees. With the way the Tigers are coming on and playing so great under the 2006 Manager of the Year, it's hopeless for our White Sox to catch with them.

However, if and when we'll get in, we will be the scariest team for opponents to face.

People here are incredibly fickle. Here's a breakdown of at least the most vocal members of Soxtalk, and where they stand on the season on a particular day:

After a win: Winning the Central

After a loss: Winning the Wild Card

After a two-game winning streak: Give us the rings.

After a two-game losing streak: Playing golf in October.

And if you feel offended in any way by the above chart, you most likely are a person this chart is describing.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
People here are incredibly fickle. Here's a breakdown of at least the most vocal members of Soxtalk, and where they stand on the season on a particular day:

And if you feel offended in any way by the above chart, you most likely are a person this chart is describing.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)

I think the "after a loss" should be changed to "missing the playoffs", although you might be right with that after 2 losses, rather than one.

I think it's a 4-team race to get 2 playoff spots. Red Sox, Yanks, Twins and White Sox. The only saving grace is that Boston and NY will still play eachother causing one or both of them to lose a fair share of games. We need to keep winning, but you gain ground by SWEEPING series. If we take 2-of-3 from the Tigers, we gain 1 game. We sweep, we gain 3.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)

Thats interesting. Can you break down which people are in which group? There are a few of us here who are chastising other peoples "predictions" for the finish of the season, and Im really curious to see where everyone really is. Im in the Playing Golf in October group myself .........

I'm still shooting for the Central. This homestand is huge. We need to put the Angels away fast and show the Yankees and Detroit just who the defending World Champs are. We are only 7 losses in back of Detroit...that is not by any means insurmontable when we play them 10 times. We've won 6 out of 9 against them and if we put a whopping on them Friday, don't think for a second it won't be in their heads. If they start pressing against us and we take it head on, they'll start pressing against everyone else. They'll know they have to win those games cause they can't beat the Sox. It doesn't take that much to get a mental edge and once you have it half the battle is over. We need to get back to smacking them around. If we can take 7 out of the 10 from Detroit and I don't see why that's so unrealistic, then we can win the division. They will not fold without pressure, so we need to crank it up NOW!!

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
I think it's a 4-team race to get 2 playoff spots. Red Sox, Yanks, Twins and White Sox. The only saving grace is that Boston and NY will still play eachother causing one or both of them to lose a fair share of games. We need to keep winning, but you gain ground by SWEEPING series. If we take 2-of-3 from the Tigers, we gain 1 game. We sweep, we gain 3.

Exactly, we need to start sweeping some teams. Winning just 2 of 3 isn't going to cut it in such a tight race. Once in a while, we're going to have to sweep a few teams.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm still shooting for the Central. This homestand is huge. We need to put the Angels away fast and show the Yankees and Detroit just who the defending World Champs are. We are only 7 losses in back of Detroit...that is not by any means insurmontable when we play them 10 times. We've won 6 out of 9 against them and if we put a whopping on them Friday, don't think for a second it won't be in their heads. If they start pressing against us and we take it head on, they'll start pressing against everyone else. They'll know they have to win those games cause they can't beat the Sox. It doesn't take that much to get a mental edge and once you have it half the battle is over. We need to get back to smacking them around. If we can take 7 out of the 10 from Detroit and I don't see why that's so unrealistic, then we can win the division. They will not fold without pressure, so we need to crank it up NOW!!

Even winning 7 of 10 only gives us 4 games in the standings. Meaning we would have to count on them to lose 5 times while we win. We need to win atleast 8 of 10 to have a chance at the division.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Even winning 7 of 10 only gives us 4 games in the standings. Meaning we would have to count on them to lose 5 times while we win. We need to win atleast 8 of 10 to have a chance at the division.

Of course we need some help from them. If they keep winning at the pace they are now, they will be impossible to catch. They need a flat tire and they need to be pressured by us. They're playing too loose right now...If we can apply some pressure, things can change in a hurry.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Of course we need some help from them. If they keep winning at the pace they are now, they will be impossible to catch. They need a flat tire and they need to be pressured by us. They're playing too loose right now...If we can apply some pressure, things can change in a hurry.

I hope so, and I hope it starts on Friday.