Another White Sox Loss to Minny

CYGarland

This loss was pre-ordained.

-Garland masterful day before

-Momentum captured

-Chance to pickup game on Detroit

-Versus brilliant Santana

And we asked Javy Vazquez to go out against all those odds and win us a ball game? Hell, I'm not even upset with the loss...just upset we keep this clod in the rotation. Shoot, bring up Haeger, Redding, Phillips, or even Broadway for all I care if McCarthy isn't stretched out. Just put this chump into the bullpen .

I know others will suggest they didn't hold out much hope for victory, but nevertheless, I'll never shrug my shoulders when our ballclub faces Santana. Continue believing every matchup is an automatic defeat and results such as tonights will repeat themself.

In all honestly, their offensive approach wasn't too bad. Strikeouts were limited and consistent contact was made. Even Brian Anderson put together quality AB's.

It's pathetic, IMO, that Minnesota continues to gain ground even WITHOUT Liriano. If he were healthy and starting Minnesota would have already eclipsed us for the Wild Card.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
What a $hitty way to spend part of my Sunday afternoon watching this debacle. :angry:

Between this and Burton's blown enging on lap six (or whatever it was), I hear ya.

I guess the Sox just spoiled us last season because inspite of their record, I still expect better. But keeping in mind they were in Twinkie land, the way this series turned out doesn't surpise me all that much.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I know others will suggest they didn't hold out much hope for victory, but nevertheless, I'll never shrug my shoulders when our ballclub faces Santana. Continue believing every matchup is an automatic defeat and results such as tonights will repeat themself.

In all honestly, their offensive approach wasn't too bad. Strikeouts were limited and consistent contact was made. Even Brian Anderson put together quality AB's.

It's pathetic, IMO, that Minnesota continues to gain ground even WITHOUT Liriano. If he were healthy and starting Minnesota would have already eclipsed us for the Wild Card.

Our own manager and players didn't hold out hope for a victory. The game was lost before we walked on the field. KC knocked him around a little, why couldn't we?

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Our own manager and players didn't hold out hope for a victory. The game was lost before we walked on the field. KC knocked him around a little, why couldn't we?

What are you talking about? We were making quality ab's vs Santana to begin the game even hitting some liners that were unfortunately right at people... And Vazquez was great until Konerko's error than it went way down the s***hole.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
We might as well just post this for every start of his, and let people fill in the blanks.

And then pick one of the following.

A) An error was made

B) The ump made a call he disagreed with

C) A Homer is hit

D) Consecutive base runners reach

E) The 5th inning

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)

exactly....today wasnt teh bad one, this series was lost when freddy garcia couldn't beat boof bonser.....thank god for garland beating radke....he has been our savior so far this year

This is Javy Vasquez fellows. You get enticed by his great stuff and his great potential and he just sets you up for dissapointment. He had great years in 2002 and 2003 and the Yankees decide to take a chance with him. He responds by an almost 5 ERA in 2004 and a implosion in the Game 7 ALCS. He has a better year in 2005 in Arizona and you think he's healthy and still has his stuff and can dominant in the AL. The White Sox take a chance on him.. he dissapoints.

It's a shame.. that's the story of his career... A guy with top of the rotation potential who pitches like a 5th starter.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Im just waiting until the last game of the season, when we are tied for the wild card lead with the twinkies, and its santana v. vazquez again.

Come on man, Ozzie is not that stupid. No one is. Vazquez will sit out his spot in the rotation if necessary to get to the playoffs. I can gurantee you that.

QUOTE(cmaff05 @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
This is Javy Vasquez fellows. You get enticed by his great stuff and his great potential and he just sets you up for dissapointment. He had great years in 2002 and 2003 and the Yankees decide to take a chance with him. He responds by an almost 5 ERA in 2004 and a implosion in the Game 7 ALCS. He has a better year in 2005 in Arizona and you think he's healthy and still has his stuff and can dominant in the AL. The White Sox take a chance on him.. he dissapoints.

It's a shame.. that's the story of his career... A guy with top of the rotation potential who pitches like a 5th starter.

If Garcia hadn't lost 5 mph off his fastball, and Buehrle hadn't imploded these last 2 months, we wouldn't even be that down on Vazquez. He was brought in to be the 5th starter, and has actually performed up to those expectations. Problem is, his high contract, and subpar seasons by Buehrle and Garcia make him the scapegoat. Its unfortunate, but true. Now I'm not making excuses for Vazquez, he's been very frustrating to watch, but Garcia and Buehrle haven't been much better....... That being said, we need at least 1 of those guys to turn it on down the stretch, if were going to make the playoffs. Now I know Burhele has been better of late, but he hasn't been exactly lights out......

Edited by CYGarland

The game Vazquez went 8 vrs the Blue Jays and struck out 13 and allowed 2 hits must have been a fluke. Before and after that game he implodes everytime. But, wanting McCarthy might not be the answer either. It seems Cotts and McCarthy give up a homer every relief appearance they make anymore.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
The game Vazquez went 8 vrs the Blue Jays and struck out 13 and allowed 2 hits must have been a fluke. Before and after that game he implodes everytime. But, wanting McCarthy might not be the answer either. It seems Cotts and McCarthy give up a homer every relief appearance they make anymore.

McCarthy is no longer an option as far as the rotation goes. Even if Ozzie wanted to make the move, it's too late now. The season would be damn near over by the time Brandon was stretched out enough to start.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
If Garcia hadn't lost 5 mph off his fastball, and Buehrle hadn't imploded these last 2 months, we wouldn't even be that down on Vazquez. He was brought in to be the 5th starter, and has actually performed up to those expectations. Problem is, his high contract, and subpar seasons by Buehrle and Garcia make him the scapegoat. Its unfortunate, but true. Now I'm not making excuses for Vazquez, he's been very frustrating to watch, but Garcia and Buehrle haven't been much better....... That being said, we need at least 1 of those guys to turn it on down the stretch, if were going to make the playoffs. Now I know Burhele has been better of late, but he hasn't been exactly lights out......

He was not brought in to pitch like a typical 5th starter. KW would never have given up Chris Young and committed to pay Vazquez as much as he does for that.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)

You're nuts if you think Javy was brought in simply to be a 5th starter. They could've kept Duque if that's all they wanted. We'd still have Chris Young, too. :crying

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
He was not brought in to pitch like a typical 5th starter. KW would never have given up Chris Young and committed to pay Vazquez as much as he does for that.

Of course I know that, but he was brought in to be the quote on quote 5th starter, and if Garcia and Buehrle were even close to their career avg's, we wouldnt be having this discussion. Also keep in mind that he did have a 4.47 era for AZ last season, and that was against weak NL competition, and especially NL West competition.....The reason KW acquired him was to give the back of our rotation stability, which he's done to some extent, and hope that Coop could turn him around. Well unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.....I for one wasn't thrilled that we acquired him, as i thought MCCarthy could have filled that 5th spot nicely, but then again I'm not the GM.

Edited by CYGarland