Lack of Widger Hurting Team

Heads22

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:07 AM)
We're under .500 since the all star break...i don't see a ton of correlation between the two, especially if Widger was a terrible game caller.

Eh, there is no correlation. The point is just that Widger got blamed a crap load for stuff he really shouldn't have been blamed for. He was not good, but he certainly wasn't deserving of getting blamed for every crappy outing our starters had with him behind the plate.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:08 AM)
Eh, there is no correlation. The point is just that Widger got blamed a crap load for stuff he really shouldn't have been blamed for. He was not good, but he certainly wasn't deserving of getting blamed for every crappy outing our starters had with him behind the plate.

He was a sacrificial lamb in order to take some pressure off of the starters and to bring in Sandy as our next great player turned coach next season. Obviously, this wonderful idea backfired.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:08 AM)

There could be some i guess...wasn't their grumblings about guys in the clubhouse being upset? Who knows. And that is impossible to put into numbers/record. I never blamed Widger for much, i put the blame elsewhere, so i guess it's not a big deal to me either way.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris Widger deserved all of the blame for his hitting, his throwing, and his lack of defense. He deserved his share of blame for our starters struggling and base runners steal at will on him.

I certainly don't recall anyone saying Widger was responsible for all of the team's lack of success.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
The unfortunate thing about letting him go was replacing him with someone who sucks just as much, if not more.
Without debating Alomar's present catching skills, Sandy's real value may come next year when he's a Sox coach. I believe that's in the plans. I endorse that, as I think the capability of our coaching staff is below par...my god -- who's our bench coach, Rock Raines?

Althought this has nothing to do with Alomar, should Ozzie survive, I'm hoping for a coaching purge to include the addition of a seasoned bench coach (crusty former mgr-type) who can teach, bring new strategy and improve the exection of this team for next year.

QUOTE(SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
Without debating Alomar's present catching skills, Sandy's real value may come next year when he's a Sox coach. I believe that's in the plans. I endorse that, as I think the capability of our coaching staff is below par...my god -- who's our bench coach, Rock Raines?

Althought this has nothing to do with Alomar, should Ozzie survive, I'm hoping for a coaching purge to include the addition of a seasoned bench coach (crusty former mgr-type) who can teach, bring new strategy and improve the exection of this team for next year.

There's no rule that says you must play for a team the season before you coach for them. All the coaches signed 3 year extensions except Raines. They aren't going anywhere. Raines may be gone, and maybe Sandy slides in there. I think Shines would be the better call.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
C'mon, Widger sucks. The unfortunate thing about letting him go was replacing him with someone who sucks just as much, if not more.

I know Widger sucked as far as hitting goes. But he was blamed everytime one of our starters threw a crappy ballgame. Well, he's been gone for a while, and our starters still suck (save Garland).