Hitting Delmon Young_

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Theres been talk on PTI and on ESPN in general speculating the Sox hit Delmon Young in his first ML AB as a welcome to the big leagues hazing . Also that Ozzie could have had it done to get on the umpires good side.

If you remember earlier in the year Delmon Young was the one who hit the umpire with a thrown bat while in the minors.

Thoughts ? Comments ? Old time baseball ? Accident? Is Ozzie that devious ?

This is all they could talk about on The Score today. I don't see anything wrong with it, heck I wouldn't see anything wrong with it if Freddy threw a bat at him. It would be karma at its finest and Freddy would have been suspended for the rest of the year and we wouldn't have to see his lazy ass on the mound.

Pretty stupid. Who are the White Sox and/or Freddy to decide how Young needs to be punished?

The goal is to win the world series. How hitting Delmon Young contributes to winning the world series, i'll never know. All it could do is hurt our chances, after one of our guys gets hit and injured or there's a brawl.

It was stupid.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Pretty stupid. Who are the White Sox and/or Freddy to decide how Young needs to be punished?

The goal is to win the world series. How hitting Delmon Young contributes to winning the world series, i'll never know. All it could do is hurt our chances, after one of our guys gets hit and injured or there's a brawl.

It was stupid.

I agree with you and also am glad Freddy made the pitch. It was wrong and it was right.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
Well, i agree with him. This team doesn't need stupid distractions such as an injury or a brawl. I don't think hitting Young accomplished anything for the White Sox.

We won the game... if he scored maybe id be pissed about it but nothing came of it so move on. And while I probably wouldnt of done it myself... Im not exactly against it either.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
Well, i agree with him. This team doesn't need stupid distractions such as an injury or a brawl. I don't think hitting Young accomplished anything for the White Sox.

I didn't hear this argument, but it brings up my only real issue with the play. Against a team that has nothing to play for, intentionally hitting Delmon just led to a target being on one of our hitters. We don't need any injuries right now due to hitting someone on a team 25 games under .500.

Ozzie is a player's manager and wants players to play the game right. Delmon Young did not play the game right. He got 50 games for it. And when he got to the majors, he got hit by a man that won't tolerate anything like that AND will take the heat for his players in just a situation like this.

Maddon, the Rays coach, is just giving this thing lip service...if he was that upset about it, then he woulda hit someone on the Sox...but he didn't. How telling is that?

Bottom line, stuff like this is solved on the field and left on the field. Done and...done.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 04:07 AM)
Ozzie is a player's manager and wants players to play the game right. Delmon Young did not play the game right. He got 50 games for it. And when he got to the majors, he got hit by a man that won't tolerate anything like that AND will take the heat for his players in just a situation like this.

Maddon, the Rays coach, is just giving this thing lip service...if he was that upset about it, then he woulda hit someone on the Sox...but he didn't. How telling is that?

Bottom line, stuff like this is solved on the field and left on the field. Done and...done.

Bottom line...Delmon had nothing to do with the Sox. I find it ironic that Ozzie is trying to act as the sheriff for moral play. Also, they did throw at AJP last night.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Bottom line...Delmon had nothing to do with the Sox. I find it ironic that Ozzie is trying to act as the sheriff for moral play. Also, they did throw at AJP last night.

The question that will never be answered is this: If Delmon Young came up against another team, would they have thrown at him?

I think yes...but like I said, we'll never know.

PS...EVERYONE throws at AJ. :P

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

So anyone who does not "play the game the right way" shall be hit by a Sox pitcher because Ozzie Guillen wants everyone to "play the right way"? Since when is Ozzie the baseball police?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
So anyone who does not "play the game the right way" shall be hit by a Sox pitcher because Ozzie Guillen wants everyone to "play the right way"? Since when is Ozzie the baseball police?

Exactly.

And to CanofCorn, they threw right back at AJ, disproving your point.

there is no need to exaggerate and call ozzie the baseball police.if it was any other team in baseball you would all grin and smile at it.the guy threw a bat at an umpire(cardinal sin),baseball has a history of governing itself.

It was clearly on purpose. And it's fair to criticize Garcia for it. I did hear another theory behind it all on the Score yesterday. It seems a few weeks ago Young popped off in the media saying that he and a couple other DRay prospects were being held back by the organization, should be called up already, and the team was just trying to deprive them of MLB service time. Garcia could have been issuing a shut-up notice to someone who hasn't yet earned the right to pop off.

Whatever it was, I don't think Freddie has any right to be the disciplinarian for baseball. Nor do I think it's that big a deal.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside31.html

some great Oz quotes

''I'm not a headhunter. We don't even hit people when I told [our guys] to hit them. This kid didn't do anything to us. What he did, he admitted it was wrong. How many times has this kid got to say I'm sorry and apologize? That's bullcrap. He don't hurt anybody, he don't rape any kid. He just made one mistake. He knows it was wrong.''

:bang