David Wells Traded To San Diego

redandwhite

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Heard something about the Dodgers....

Yeah, and Boston asked for Matt Kemp.

The entire population of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area did spit takes/shot their drinks out of their nose when they heard about that.

Where's the Windex?

No word on who might be going to San Diego, although the rumors earlier in the day made it seem like Kattaras, the SD catcher, was going.

He's doing very poorly this year in AAA, I think. I can't believe I actually wanted the Sox to trade Fields for this catcher...

Yea, I'm praying for Lester. It's unimaginable to consider what happened to this Red Sox team in such a short amount of time.

Nixon, Varitek, Wakefield, Ortiz, Ramirez, Beckett, Lester, Pena and now Wells is being traded.

This is a good pick-up for San Diego. I just can't wait to see for whom.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Yea, I'm praying for Lester. It's unimaginable to consider what happened to this Red Sox team in such a short amount of time.

Nixon, Varitek, Wakefield, Ortiz, Ramirez, Beckett, Lester, Pena and now Wells is being traded.

Maybe they're cursed again???

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)

I know Ortiz is scheduled to be back on Saturday. Do you know who will be facing the Sox next week, and if Manny will be back? Also...am I correct in assuming that the Red Sox are concerned that Lester might have a lymphomic cancer?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Maybe they're cursed again???

It's a good thing they won the WS in 2004, because ESPN would be devoting 120 minute long Outside the Lines dealing with this stuff and the curse.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
No word on who might be going to San Diego, although the rumors earlier in the day made it seem like Kattaras, the SD catcher, was going.

He's doing very poorly this year in AAA, I think. I can't believe I actually wanted the Sox to trade Fields for this catcher...

It's only 100 AB's. I'd still take Kottaras over Fields. Since he's on the Pad's 40-man, wouldn't he have to clear waivers in this Wells deal anyways?

Aug 31 ESPN.com reports the Boston Red Sox traded SP David Wells (2-3, 4.98 ERA) to the San Diego Padres Thursday, Aug. 31, in exchange for prospect C George Kottaras. The move should boost the Padres pitching staff as they compete for a playoff spot down the stretch. Kottaras was rated the No. 2 prospect in the Padres system by Baseball America before this season.

ROTWIRE said, Wells has been scratched from his Thursday start, according to MLB.com. Red Sox officials say that a trade has not been finalized, but Wells is likely on his way out of Boston.

Good deal by Epstein. Here's what Sickels said about Kottaras;

2) George Kottaras, C, B+

Hitting .275/.393/.454 for Mobile, showing good plate discipline and moderate power. I still like him a lot.

Only Kottaras looks like a potential impact player at this point