Dave Roberts

AbeFroman

There is no Trade Winds, so I guess I'll post this here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padre...31padnotes.html

Roberts pays off

The White Sox and Cardinals have made it known they are interested in acquiring Padres leadoff man Dave Roberts should he reach free agency in November.

Roberts, obtained from Boston, has ranked among the best leadoff men the last two years. General Manager Kevin Towers said he hasn't begun attempts to retain Roberts because he wants no distractions.

“It's kind of hard not to see how well he's done,” Towers said.

Said manager Bruce Bochy: “You've got to like Dave Roberts and the way he plays the game.”

From the San Diego Union-Tribune. Take it for what its worth. Its not even september.... but if its true, it shows the white sox plans regarding a certain left fielder presently on the team

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I talked about Roberts in one of the off-season threads. I think its possible, but I think we could do a little better.

But with Roberts possibly leaving SD, I also think if we tried to package Fields-Pods-Broadway, could that be enough to land Peavy?

How about Pods+Garcia+someone else?

Back on the west coast with Garcia, to the NL, big-ass stadium, young pitching staff? Pretty good situation for him.

So it looks like the Sox still want a speedy guy at the top of the lineup even if Pods goes.

Guess I can probably rule out Dellucci signin with us then. :angry:

But yes Roberts has had a nice season. Plus his home / away splits are pretty similar, as are his righty / lefty splits.

And I echo the Garcia and Pods for Peavy trade offer, but Kevin Towers wouldn't do that. With Kottras gone, they'd most likely want a good prospect as well at least, to help rebuild that system.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dave Roberts and getting him as a free agent would be a good move...the guy is a total gamer. If we are looking for a quality leadoff hitter, here he is.

If he isn't the guy, please submit your proposal for a good team guy with high character who plays the game the right way and can be a superb leadoff guy.