Team USA Loses

DBAHO

Yikes, even Australia almost beat Greece in the group stages;

Team USA lost to Greece 101-95 on Friday morning, never threatening for the lead in the second half.

The U.S. was outsized, outshot and outsmarted in this game, as Greece ran uncontested pick-and-rolls all morning. Greece hit 14-of-18 shots in the third quarter and Team USA could never get it going on either end of the court. Melo was the only U.S. player who really showed up for this one. They'll now face the loser of Spain vs. Argentina for the Bronze medal Saturday morning at 6:30. Hopefully they learned from this loss, and Kobe Bryant and Shawn Marion will be able to make a difference when the 2008 Olympics roll around. But they'll have to go to Argentina to qualify for the Olympics.

It just continues to baffle me how these players can not win every game by about 30 to teams like Greece. Argentina or Spain would be one thing, but Greece doesn't have a single NBA player. I just don't understand it. I still say USA basketball needs to ban all players that fail to win a gold medal in a world competition. Something is obviously wrong with them if they continue to lose to a bunch of scrubs who can't even make the NBA. Greece?! How the f*** is this possible? Honestly, how? Don't give me this 'the US doesn't play team ball or doesn't shoot well' bs because they have more than enough talent to win by 40 with ease. I just don't get it.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Don't give me this 'the US doesn't play team ball or doesn't shoot well' bs because they have more than enough talent to win by 40 with ease. I just don't get it.

I only caught the 1st quarter since the game was on so late, but those two reasons are basically it. Still too much 1-on-1 with LeBron, Wade, and especially carmelo trying to drive in against 4 guys from what little I've seen of the tournament. Also, no big man presence.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
It just continues to baffle me how these players can not win every game by about 30 to teams like Greece. Argentina or Spain would be one thing, but Greece doesn't have a single NBA player. I just don't understand it. I still say USA basketball needs to ban all players that fail to win a gold medal in a world competition. Something is obviously wrong with them if they continue to lose to a bunch of scrubs who can't even make the NBA. Greece?! How the f*** is this possible? Honestly, how? Don't give me this 'the US doesn't play team ball or doesn't shoot well' bs because they have more than enough talent to win by 40 with ease. I just don't get it.

The Bulls would be f***ed. Kirk Hinrich is the heart and soul of that team.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Barkley was on the Dan Patrick show and he said that the US needs to run up and down the court more like the Dream Team and not allow the foreign teams to play back in a zone.

That's probably true. I'd be shocked if any team out there can match the speed of the U.S.

Talk about dissapointing. Not as much as the past squad though cause they were just lazy. I still don't get how this team lost.

I watched Greece play earlier in this tourney against Turkey and it was one of the ugliest basketball games I've ever seen. My high school team would have whooped there asses or at least had a chance (I should make things a little more clear by saying that at times my high school team was one of the tops in the state when I was there and the year before they got there they won state IIRC).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I meant from USA Basketball, not the NBA.

Well then.

Anyway, the Dwayne Wade and Lebron James comparisons to MJ should stop right here. You'd NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER see a day MJ loses to Greece. Besides, MJ didn't play beside MJ if you see what I'm getting at. I mean, if these two guys are the next Jordan just imagine playing a team that had Michael Jordan and Michael Jordan on the same floor.