Would you guys trade....

2nd_city_saint787

Josh fields and probably another prospect for Carl Crawford....the reason i pose this question is as i was in the pooper :D I was reading my espn mag and read this " D-Rays rookie B.J. Upton is trying hard at third base, but according to one former teammate, he's best suited to play the outfield 'He has the worst footwork I've ever seen on an infielder' says the player who raves about Upton's bat"

With all that being said and the sox wanting a guy like Crawford and Crede's emergance this year I dont think it would be a bad deal to maybe send over fields, Boone logan (can close games for them) and possibly another prospect.......this also would make tampa really good in the future with a possible top of the order of Upton, young, Fields and then Gomes........what do you guys think?

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

The D-Rays still wouldn't go for it. I pray to god the Sox can get some solid talent for Garcia and Podsednik in the offseason then package those spects along with anything from the current Sox farmn system and make a run at Carl. It will never happen but a man can dream.

We'll just have to settle for Juan ".330 OBP" Pierre in LF next year.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
i think the D-rays would go for it but i dont the sox will. i think Fields goin there makes a lot of since if this guy knows what hes talking about in saying that upton is better suited for the OF.... Im thinkin Fields, Logan, and Haegar or Tracey or for that matter Javy or freddy

Tampa wants no part of expensive players.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
why is that??? what about Crawford for Fields, logan, and Haegar or tracey

Freddy or Javy's salaries alone would make up half the Devil Rays' payroll they want no part of that.

Logan, Haeger and Tracey aren't much of prospects at this point, the D-Rays are looking for top pitching prospects at this point especially for a player of Crawford's level. Carl Crawford is one of the best young players in the game, it's going to take a slew of top prospects to get him.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
why is that??? what about Crawford for Fields, logan, and Haegar or tracey

In this case, neither guy is coming off a great season. Other than that they just don't want salary there.

Like Fathom said, for them to trade a guy like Crawford, you have to get high level pitching back. Outside of B-Mac, we don't have a guy to give.

Consider this from a Devil Rays point of view.

Right now they have a SS/3B combo of Ben Zobrist and B.J Upton. Now they've tried Upton at SS for a few years and it just hasn't worked. So they're going to give him 3B for the next 5-10 years I would imagine. Now he's not hitting well and he has 11 Errors in 29 games, but I would imagine they'll still give him as much time as possible to let him settle into that position.

If they think right now, "No Upton's never going to be good enough for SS and 3B" then yeah they could be interested in Fields but I don't see it. They certainly don't have room in the OF for him with Baldelli, Young, Gomes just to name a few there.

They're trying to build around young pitching, hence why they've made deals for the likes of J.P Howell and Mitch Talbot.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Consider this from a Devil Rays point of view.

Right now they have a SS/3B combo of Ben Zobrist and B.J Upton. Now they've tried Upton at SS for a few years and it just hasn't worked. So they're going to give him 3B for the next 5-10 years I would imagine. Now he's not hitting well and he has 11 Errors in 29 games, but I would imagine they'll still give him as much time as possible to let him settle into that position.

If they think right now, "No Upton's never going to be good enough for SS and 3B" then yeah they could be interested in Fields but I don't see it. They certainly don't have room in the OF for him with Baldelli, Young, Gomes just to name a few there.

They're trying to build around young pitching, hence why they've made deals for the likes of J.P Howell and Mitch Talbot.

All I know is that Greg Norton was their DH tonight. Need an upgrade long-term.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 05:47 AM)
All I know is that Greg Norton was their DH tonight. Need an upgrade long-term.

Next season it will be Gomes.

Just going to say things im pretty sure will be a lock for them

LF:Carl Crawford,

CF: Rocco Baldelli

RF: Delmon Young

DH: Gomes

3B: Upton

C: Dioner Navarro

2B: Jorge Cantu

1B: ?

SS: ?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Next season it will be Gomes.

Just going to say things im pretty sure will be a lock for them

LF:Carl Crawford,

CF: Rocco Baldelli

RF: Delmon Young

DH: Gomes

3B: Upton

C: Dioner Navarro

2B: Jorge Cantu

1B: ?

SS: ?

I don't follow the Rays, so I have no idea. I just happened to look at the box score and decided an upgraded was needed. :cheers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Freddy or Javy's salaries alone would make up half the Devil Rays' payroll they want no part of that.

Logan, Haeger and Tracey aren't much of prospects at this point, the D-Rays are looking for top pitching prospects at this point especially for a player of Crawford's level. Carl Crawford is one of the best young players in the game, it's going to take a slew of top prospects to get him.

Then I guess the question is would you trade McCarthy for Crawford?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I wouldn't.

Good young pitchers are harder to find than good young outfielders.

That's why it's too bad we haven't seen more of McCarthy as a starter. Right now, who knows how good he can be. We do know that Crawford is a budding superstar who is improving every season.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Then I guess the question is would you trade McCarthy for Crawford?

No.

I'm tired of this Carl Crawford talk. It's completely unreasonable to expect him for anything other than your yearly, Williams-overpaying-for-talent- extravaganzal. Except in this situation, opposed to Vazquez/Garcia/Thome, we're attempting to acquire a superb, young, cheap, LF.

Tampa Bay just isn't accepting crap. We wouldn't be the only suitors for him, either. McCarthy/Fields/Broadway could reasonably meet their demands, but no way in HELL would I approve that. Only because I value starting pitching more than any other component of a team.

Even if Broadway/McCarthy respectively reach the levels of #5/#3 starters, their value will exceed that of Crawfords. I'm estimating value here, and I'm sure people will disagree, but I figure McCarthy and Broadway can provide win-shares totaling 22-23. Just pulling up Radke's 05/06 numbers, I believe -- based on minor league numbers of both and McCarthys MLB starts -- Brandon could produce Radke's 05 season; Broadway 06'. Not exact science, but not unreasonable, no?

Crawford's value has roughly been 21.5 these last several seasons. Add in whatever Fields gives, we're not going to come out very well -- despite Crawford's continued production.

Crawfords total package may be irreplaceable, but his production can be compensated around the field. This is what I feel towards positional players. Starting pitching is the key to assembling a World Series championship. Having two starters within your rotation making under a million allows yourself to overpay for a LF. And, as we've seen, extended deals for OF's traditionally pays off more than those of pitchers.