Juan Uribe

DBAHO

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rollins plays top notch D though. And even though .330 isn't that high, it is still better then pods. And he can hit for some power at least.

Omar Vizquel is a better defender, gets on base more, and puts the ball in play. He is also a product of the American league.

I'm still not convinced Pods + top notch D is worth $35 million +trading players/prospects.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Jimmy Rollins. Looking at it some more, Rollins' career line is about par with Pods' first half this season, which wasn't that good to begin with. Rollins has the edge with SLG%, but OBP% is more important for a top of the order hitter.

Why would anyone want to guaranteed $35 million to a 2006, not 2005, first half Podsednik?

Because Rollins actually plays good defense, actually steals bases, and has some power. The Posednik of the 2nd half is a track star with a club in his hands.

Due to Rollins being in scoring position so much more often than Podsednik, his .330 OBP is better than Podsednik's .330 OBP.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
Jeter is no where close to Uribe defensively. Fewer attempts than Uribe, more errors, RF and ZR massively in favor of Uribe. Using the stats ESPN gives me, Uribe has the #7 Range Factor and #3 Zone Rating in baseball this season. Jeter comes in at 20 and 21 in those 2 stats.

Uribe IMO has it within him to be even better than he was this season. He's had some silly errors/mistakes that have hurt his numbers, especially when it seems like he's distracted due to his performance at the plate. He has the potential to be the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and I think that in the 2nd half of last year he probably was, but he still has some work to go.

But there's absolutely no way on God's Green Earth that Derek Jeter is a better defensive shortstop than Juan Uribe. Jeter is the classic example of a guy who can make plays look hard that other people could make look easy. The numbers have said that throughout his career. There are even years where with the same pitching staffs, his backups wind up recording more outs/game than Jeter does.

Jeter isn't as good as Juan defensively, your right. However he does bring his all every single day to the ball field. He is a true player. a complete player

We need that power he hit for in 2005.

.283/.327/.506 is great from a SS with a good glove like Juan.

But he hasn't sustained his numbers since then.

If we can upgrade please do so. But we have other positions (LF, possbily 3B) to address first.

Just to strike up conversation, how do you guys feel about Julio Lugo?

Pods' OBP was .353, not .330. He actually had a higher OPS.

Like I said, show me how trading players and or prospects and throwing $35 million at a guy to be a major offensive upgrade (although it's still not good enough especially if he plays worse than Pods in the first half of 2006) and a minor defensive downgrade makes sense.

I'd much rather throw $35 million and trade players for a new LF and keep Uribe. The offensive upgrade would be much better (from a sub .700 OPS to a .850-.950 OPS) and we would still have great D at short.

Who says Rollins is available?

Hell, mine as well try to get this one answered as well since I brought up LF.

Who says Carl Crawford is available?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Pods' OBP was .353, not .330. He actually had a higher OPS.

Like I said, show me how trading players and or prospects and throwing $35 million at a guy to be a major offensive upgrade (although it's still not good enough especially if he plays worse than Pods in the first half of 2006) and a minor defensive downgrade makes sense.

I'd much rather throw $35 million and trade players for a new LF and keep Uribe. The offensive upgrade would be much better (from a sub .700 OPS to a .850-.950 OPS) and we would still have great D at short.

Who says Rollins is available?

Hell, mine as well try to get this one answered as well since I brought up LF.

Who says Carl Crawford is available?

we need a leadoff hitter somehow

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we need a leadoff hitter somehow

I'd rather not go the "recklessly spend $35 million and trade away players" for a guy who tends to hit like Pods for the first half.

Put the name aside for a second, and look at the number. Not just his career numbers, but his salary. The guy isn't worth it. His away stats suck, he's always been in the NL, and he isn't the only option available (WHO KNOWS IF HE EVEN IS???) to replace our current weak hitting shortstop or our s***ty leadoff hitter.

I think I have made my point very clear regarding Rollins. :D

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Jeter isn't as good as Juan defensively, your right. However he does bring his all every single day to the ball field. He is a true player. a complete player

I never said Jeter wasn't a decent player. However, I was responding to specifically this clause in your previous post:

No offense, but Uribe is not the best defensive SS in baseball by any means. Yes he is very good and I have been amazed by him countless times, but there's no way any of you can say he's irreplacable. You don't think Jeter is better than him?

If we want to take into account offense, then yeah Jeter is more useful than Uribe. But if you want to talk defense at SS...Jeter comes in pretty near the bottom of the list. He's probably not the best defensive SS in his own starting lineup.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Walt Hrniak was brought in last year to see if he could get through to Uribe. He used a leg kick mechanism, and it kept Uribe back instead of lunging at the ball. It worked through September and the playoffs. Then Greg decided that he should ditch the leg kick, and go to a spread stance like Pablo uses. Because he thought the leg kick didnt do a thing. Now Uribe is hitting .230ish. Can we get Walt back to give Uribe another lesson in the leg kick, and tell Greg to help someone else.

Yeah, wasn't it Frank who brought in Walt to help Uribe out?

I will be very, very upset to see Uribe in a sox uni next year. Him, podsednik, and Garcia all have to go, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

And to the original post, I think gooch needs to move down in the lineup to like no. 8. He is a good hitter and all, but strikes out way too much for the two hole. Sweeney and Rollins would be a pretty sweet way to start of the lineup next year.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
I will be very, very upset to see Uribe in a sox uni next year. Him, podsednik, and Garcia all have to go, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

And to the original post, I think gooch needs to move down in the lineup to like no. 8. He is a good hitter and all, but strikes out way too much for the two hole. Sweeney and Rollins would be a pretty sweet way to start of the lineup next year.

You want to have a rookie leadoff?

I love Sweeney as much as anyone(well actually, WHarris has a shrine in his room to him), but having him leadoff next year would just be dumb.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
You want to have a rookie leadoff?

I love Sweeney as much as anyone(well actually, WHarris has a shrine in his room to him), but having him leadoff next year would just be dumb.

no one loves Ryan Sweeney more then me. hell, we were both born on feb. 20. It is a sign!

And I don't care who leads off to be honest with you, as long as they can get on base, and steal the occasional base.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
no one loves Ryan Sweeney more then me. hell, we were both born on feb. 20. It is a sign!

And I don't care who leads off to be honest with you, as long as they can get on base, and steal the occasional base.

And Sweeney has never really done either of those on a consistent basis especially base stealing.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Garcia may be average but he is 14-6. Why does he HAVE to go?

Because he's a very bad pitcher and his record is incredibly misleading much like a lot of starting pitcher's W/L record. Freddy Garcia is BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD . . . and so on.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
who would the angels really take from us to give upa stud like kendrick?

as you said uribe's defense has been poor and we all remember the royce clayton era so SS is a definite

I'm still baffled that people think this.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
I sure wouldn't let Freddie Garcia go, a 14-6 record isn't bad.

You know, you guys in the Game Thread yesterday thought I was completely out of line and even "dispicable" with my comments involving Garcia's perfect game but you know what I'm starting to think I was right. I know Freddy Garcia is a bad pitcher, most of the people of here know Freddy Garcia is a bad pitcher but he's managed to trick a whole hell of a lot of people out there into thinking he's half way decent, who's to say he hasn't done the same with Ozzie and KW? I'm frightened.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
You know, you guys in the Game Thread yesterday thought I was completely out of line and even "dispicable" with my comments involving Garcia's perfect game but you know what I'm starting to think I was right. I know Freddy Garcia is a bad pitcher, most of the people of here know Freddy Garcia is a bad pitcher but he's managed to trick a whole hell of a lot of people out there into thinking he's half way decent, who's to say he hasn't done the same with Ozzie and KW? I'm frightened.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what that splitter does for him. Hitters could very well adjust, but the perfect game bid was certainly an interesting proposal from Freddy Garcia.