Ozzie likes Mack in center

chisox72

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Ozzie made 3 real ignorant comments last night....great to know he's focused on finding a way to help this team win.

Hehe, I was being nice there, too. I didn't even put Thome in there.

Somebody end this sick, sick dream. None of deserve this. None of us.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Hopefully the media won't be intimidated by Ozzie and challenge him on why he's not putting this team in the best position to succeed.

"Why you play Mackowiak?" Guillen asked. "Well, we've been playing Mackowiak since the beginning of the season. We are not going to change anything. One thing about it is if I start changing the way we play all year long, they start to panic. I'm not panicking. I will go with the guys I trust. We go with the guys we've had all year long and, hopefully, they perform well."

I can't even believe I used to think this fool was a good manager... When everyone is not having great years, and the team not bailing him out on his "questionable decisions," we all get to see the true Ozzie Guillen.

I so hope the media jumps off the Ozzie bandwagon, start asking him questions on why he is such an idiot, and then Ozzie saying something so stupid, that Kenny has to fire him.

Lou Pinella in 07 campaign right here!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
The similarities between Ozzie and Dusty grow by the day. Everytime this fool opens his mouth my fandom of this team takes another hit, it's just not fair.

except ozzie is trying to win 100 games each season, and Dusty is trying not to lose 100

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
Ozzie Guillen is a disgrace.

Hilarious.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Could have fooled me.

wow how spoiled we have become, we win a ring, are in a playoff race, are one of the best teams in baseball, and it coulda fooled you? Please.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
I can't even believe I used to think this fool was a good manager...

Lou Pinella in 07 campaign right here!

Yeah 6 months ago is a long time huh?

Pinella wouldnt have even made this a race, let alone win a ring and then come back with another good team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
So we want our best offense to be in the lineup every game. And that means that Gload's not in LF for Podsednik....why? Ozzie can't quit soon enough. Pretty soon, he's going to want a team of all 30 year old players and older. Maybe he can go manage the Giants.

I hope the Sox win the World Series again this year and Ozzie decides to retire and go out on top. Then, I hope they put up a statue of him at the Cell.

No matter what though, I hope he is gone after this season.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Hilarious.

wow how spoiled we have become, we win a ring, are in a playoff race, are one of the best teams in baseball, and it coulda fooled you? Please.

Yeah 6 months ago is a long time huh?

Pinella wouldnt have even made this a race, let alone win a ring and then come back with another good team.

What about the way this team has played in the second half has been enjoyable in the least? They won last year, came in with high expectations and have laid a monsterous egg. Watching a bad team go out on the field basically day in and day out since the break has been misery. The 6th best record in baseball and 3rd in the division isn't exactly what most Sox fans invisioned for this season, perhaps you enjoy it but I sure as hell don't.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Yeah totally. I mean, who wants to blame the pitching when we could blame the best offense in baseball, and our extremely successful manager?

Even Homer Hawk today said that our pitching would have been significantly better this season if Ozzie focused on putting the best defense behind them possible.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Yeah totally. I mean, who wants to blame the pitching when we could blame the best offense in baseball, and our extremely successful manager?

Jesus, trust me I've ripped on this pitching staff a ton this year but our manager certainly isn't trying to help them by putting out crappy defenses every game. Having Mack in cf has cost us a good amount of games this year and it'll continue to do so down the stretch. Like I said, this is the kind of crap that will have our team sitting at home in October.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)

You mean the 12 best offense in baseball over the past month and the 7th best pitching staff in baseball over the same time period?

Apparently, there's another quote out there of Guillen saying something like, "Mackowiak gives us the best offensive lineup possible", or something to that effect.

And you know what, Ozzie? I'll take that bulls*** logic, if your own advice on it. Why is Podsednik still out there? He can't really believe that Podsednik, over Fields, Sweeney, Anderson, Gload, and Ozuna, gives us the best possible offensive player in LF, can he?

Name one manager that would have Pods still playing everyday in LF. Not even Dusty would do this.

The pitching has finally started to come around, so what does ozzie do, throw a horrible lineup and defense out there to back up the pitchers.

This has become some type of sick joke, and Ozzie is probably laughing his ass off right now.

I heard Hawk on the radio too, I've long felt Anderson's defense out weighed Mackowiak's offense, just based on

watching them play. But when I agree with anything Harrelson says, it's time to take a second look. So let’s go over

the numbers and try to understand Ooze’s choice.

Here are ESPN's splits. I put Ozuna/Podsednik in too as long as I was doing it.

2006-09-16_125810.png

On offense OPS * 4.3 roughly translates to bases per game. On defense FP% * Range Factor roughly translates to outs

per game. So in Center Ozzie is picking up about half a base a game while giving up 6/10s of an out. The disparity on

offense is probably greater in reality because Mack gets all the tough right handers. What would BA's numbers look

like facing Loaiza, Santana and Lackey last week? Mack was 3 for 8 plus a RBI SAC.

In left, the disparity in offense vastly out weighs Pablo's adventures on defense, there are just not that many balls

hit to left.

We can never know what would happen if he left Anderson in there everyday. The manager has decided he stands a better

chance with the platoon, and as he has pointed out he is the f***ing manager. I think I'd still rather see BA out

there, but I can see good baseball reasons behind his playing Mack.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

I heard Hawk on the radio too, I've long felt Anderson's defense out weighed Mackowiak's offense, just based on

watching them play. But when I agree with anything Harrelson says, it's time to take a second look. So let’s go over

the numbers and try to understand Ooze’s choice.

Here are ESPN's splits. I put Ozuna/Podsednik in too as long as I was doing it.

2006-09-16_125810.png

On offense OPS * 4.3 roughly translates to bases per game. On defense FP% * Range Factor roughly translates to outs

per game. So in Center Ozzie is picking up about half a base a game while giving up 6/10s of an out. The disparity on

offense is probably greater in reality because Mack gets all the tough right handers. What would BA's numbers look

like facing Loaiza, Santana and Lackey last week? Mack was 3 for 8 plus a RBI SAC.

In left, the disparity in offense vastly out weighs Pablo's adventures on defense, there are just not that many balls

hit to left.

We can never know what would happen if he left Anderson in there everyday. The manager has decided he stands a better

chance with the platoon, and as he has pointed out he is the f***ing manager. I think I'd still rather see BA out

there, but I can see good baseball reasons behind his playing Mack.

This has been said over and over again but it's not fair at all to look at Brian's numbers as a whole. He's a completely different hitter now then he was the first two months of the season. Mack might be a bit of a better hitter right now but he's not that much of an upgrade offensively to outweigh the fact that Brian is 3402943209483209438204932804932 times better defensively.

Edited by Rowand44