The Hawkeroo Rant About 2006

LVSoxFan

Sorry, typo: that's supposed to be 2006

If you were watching yesterday you heard Hawk start losing it when it was pretty clear that we were going to get swept in Oakland. In today's Sun-Times he takes it farther, going public with his gripes about this year's team. We all know Hawk's a homer, but I love the fact that he'll rip into them when he thinks they're not playing to their potential.

That's the gist of his complaint, too: he thinks, talent-wise, that this team is the best he's seen but cannot for the life of him believe how crappy they've played. The guy in the Sun-Times hinted at the fact that some of them were talking recently about their offseason plans, as if they wanted the season to end. In 2005, he implies, this would have been unheard of.

I also like Hawk's comments about how he hates to see us get a lead because then we just lay off and blow it. Also, in the article, Buehrle even ADMITS (!!!) their might be some "hangover" effect from winning last year while playing this year, where guys don't want it as much. Although he says, having been there, if you know what it's like you want to go back.

I think Hawk's general points are:

-We're fat & satisfied

-We've got no killer instinct

-For the kind of talent we have this sort of performance is unacceptable

I've not heard him go after Ozzie yet--if he ever would--and to my non-expert self I'm not sure if I'm to blame Ozzie. I know he's the "motivator," but Ozzie's not the one striking out with bases loaded. Ozzie's not the one giving up leads out of the bullpen. Ozzie's not the one hired to steal and bunt who does neither anymore. Etc., etc.

I disagree with Hawk in that I think last year's team was way better than this one (that whole reality vs. on-paper thing can be a beeyotch) but I think he's right on about this year.

I just think they're mentally soft. They don't want it bad enough. If I have to sit through one more lifeless, boring game where we inevitably succumb to a team leading by only one or two runs, well... I'm just going to quit watching. And trust me, yesterday I was merely surfing in and out of the game, which is unheard of, because I was expecting the inevitable.

Do we all kind of agree about this with Hawk?

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
I haven't read the Sun Times article, but I think he pretty much nailed it in the booth during the game yesterday.

I'm sure the front office dislikes it when he goes off like that, but it was long past time he hauled off on them collectively, imo.

Hopefully the front office dislikes missing the playoffs a lot more than having an announcer rip the team for missing the playoffs. (Unlike, say, the other team in town.)

When Mike North mentioned Hawk's comments to AJ this morning on his radio show I had sudden flashes of Kent Mercker and Todd Walker run through my head. I was frightened he would go that route and they'd have another distraction on their hands, one of Cub like proportions. Luckily he brushed it off saying "Well, that's unlike him" and that was basically it, so thank god for that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
When Mike North mentioned Hawk's comments to AJ this morning on his radio show I had sudden flashes of Kent Mercker and Todd Walker run through my head. I was frightened he would go that route and they'd have another distraction on their hands, one of Cub like proportions. Luckily he brushed it off saying "Well, that's unlike him" and that was basically it, so thank god for that.

Maybe a distraction would help at this point?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
I wonder what Hawk is really thinking about Ozzie though. Because how many times did we hear how awful the previous manager was and word about the greatness that is the Ozzie Ball mentality, etc.

He subtly criticized Guillen in the previous week for not putting out the best defensive team on the field.

I have to believe, despite the assurances he's given the audience of "not wanting another manager for this team," he's grown weary of Guillen.

Funny how last season, and earlier this year, Guillen -- according to Hawk -- wouldn't allow his team to get off track. A day wouldn't pass in which his carefree clubhouse demeanor wasn't complimented on air. "These players are playing loose," was a phrase thrown around often. That talk has certaintly died down since the ASB.

Whoa here people: I am NOT suggesting there's a Cubs-like spat in the Steve Stone mode.

I'm saying, I think Hawk is right-on and I'm glad that he's not afraid to lay into a team which he has to cover/travel with all season.

I honestly don't know enough about the technical stuff to assign blame here:

-Is it Ozzie?

-Is it Kenny?

-Was it lack of the Soriano trade?

-Is it the players?

-Or an unholy combination of all?

Who can say? It seems like all the pieces never fall into place at the right time: the starters suck but the offense is killing. The offense goes to sleep when the starters are rocking. The offense and the starters are in synch and then the bullpen blows it to hell (HELLO, 10-1 lead that became 10-7).

Yeah and then there's Ozzie's questionable game decisions and what-not.

Where do you even start?

But I salute Hawk for going nuts about this because we feel it, too. And yeah, if I were to start somewhere, I would start with the players too.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
The guy in the Sun-Times hinted at the fact that some of them were talking recently about their offseason plans, as if they wanted the season to end.

Buehrle even ADMITS (!!!) their might be some "hangover" effect from winning last year while playing this year, where guys don't want it as much.

words fail to convey how disappointing this is

:hawk: I think the comments he made were right for this team. They have been underperforming, they do suck right now, and he's frustrated just like us! This team has given up and to be honest they don't care. They are all making their money, the big bucks in which we give them everytime we go to a game and just want them to play hard. Look at Minnesota and Detroit! Every ball that is hit, they hustle down the line even though it is a sure out. When is the last time you saw this team hustle down the damn line?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I honestly don't know enough about the technical stuff to assign blame here:

-Is it Ozzie?

-Is it Kenny?

-Was it lack of the Soriano trade?

-Is it the players?

-Or an unholy combination of all?

Yeah and then there's Ozzie's questionable game decisions and what-not.

Where do you even start?

This is exactly where you start.

No manager can control what occurs on the field -- but what Guillen CAN control is his inability to successfully manage his bullpen. Limit fixations with certain players at positions (Timo last year, Mack this year) which goes against any form of logic. Or avoid resting key positional players every third day. Atleast I won't have to hear, "he rested his starters frequently last year and we won a world series," again.

Williams may have to adopt Jim Hendry's recent idea and re-assemble a team which his manager can't exploit. Trade Podsednik and Uribe. Package Cotts with Garcia. Say goodbye to Ozuna. Find a defensive orientated, respectable OBP, right handed bench player who can pinch hit for Mackowiak in LF (or replace him against tough lefties). Force Guillen's damn hand. Have Sweeney remain as another backup OF who perhaps can substitute for Dye or Anderson on occasion. Maybe Fields can be the option of a righthanded backup OF/platoon man for Mack.

You can't blame Williams for this season. Aside from the questionable Vazquez trade (which is beginning to balance out), or the Thome trade (which still needs to be seen), he did his best to assemble a World Series championship. Now, if he doesn't see the problems I highlighted in the previous paragraph -- as well as McCarthy's need to be in the rotation -- then it'll be appropriate to blame him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Last season Guillen would stand up on the top stair in the dugout for the entire game, this year i see him sitting on the bench. I think the whole Mariotti disaster softened him up. And that was during those inter-league games back in June. Im sure most of you noticed that we've been playing inconsistent sub. 500 baseball since then. Coincedence? Ozzie lost that fire, and the lost fire has rubbed off on the players. And as Hawk has stated "this team just doesn't look hungry enough". Well the hunger starts with the manager.

It is very easy to lead when you are winning.

But it takes a truly great leader to be able to bring back a team that has been losing.

Last year we saw scenario 1, this year we are seeing that Ozzie is not the type of leader in scenario 2.

I just do not see him as the type of manager who can right the ship when the chips are down. He has passion, but at a certain point passion can only take you so far. Ozzie just seems defeated, and that is something that a great leader can never show.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
It is very easy to lead when you are winning.

But it takes a truly great leader to be able to bring back a team that has been losing.

Last year we saw scenario 1, this year we are seeing that Ozzie is not the type of leader in scenario 2.

I just do not see him as the type of manager who can right the ship when the chips are down. He has passion, but at a certain point passion can only take you so far. Ozzie just seems defeated, and that is something that a great leader can never show.

Didn't the Sox go through a fairly prolongued struggle last year towards the end of August/beginning of September, and manage to turn around that team?

No.

Last year the Sox never dropped past 1st place, even when they were slumping they still had:

1) The best record

2) Were 1 in their divison.

When they made the playoffs, that is a clean slate 0-0. I have no doubt that if the Sox can make it to the playoffs this year that they can do damage.

The playoffs are a clean slate, you get to start with the line:

"Everything that has happened so far this year does not matter. All that matters is what you do today."

Last year was easy, every day Ozzie could come in and say:

"You are the best team, with the best record, all you have to do is go out and play that way."

This year we are none of those, and since the Sox have fallen from 1st, they have lost their swagger and ability.

Edited by Soxbadger

Buehrle even ADMITS (!!!) their might be some "hangover" effect from winning last year while playing this year, where guys don't want it as much.

Welcome to the world of the high paid ballplayer.

The Sox are not exempt to this attitude apparently.

Why do you think so few teams repeat.

At least Boston made it back to the playoffs after their title.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Welcome to the world of the high paid ballplayer.

The Sox are not exempt to this attitude apparently.

Why do you think so few teams repeat.

At least Boston made it back to the playoffs after their title.

Then wouldn't it be the manager's job, especially a manager whom is regarded as a "player's manager" like Ozzie Guillen to motivate his players and avert a sense of complacency from overtaking his team?

''This team is one of the biggest underachievers I've seen,'' Harrelson said. ''They don't have what we had last year -- that killer instinct.''

Biggest underachievers. Wasn't the problem with Jerry Manuel that the team underachieved? If Hawk says this knowing damn well it will be news, its beyond true. If Ozzie can't motivate the players to play, he's certainly not going to wow anyone with his line-ups, handling of the pitching staff, or any other strategic decisions. If Ozzie can't motivate he is the managerial equivalent of Pods who doesn't steal. Totally worthless. Its a shame he has cemented himself to this job until he says something so stupid they have no choice to get rid of him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
Good for Hawk. I suspect this qualifies as throwing the manager and team under the bus. Take note Ozzie, you are going to hear a lot of this all off season.

That's why the price for Soxfest is so higgh this year - self defense! :D

I've been saying all through the second half that this team has been playing without any fire or intensity. They were hungry last year and now that they have their championship, they just aren't hungry any more. They get up for some games, but can never maintain that intensity. Overall they have been limp and lifeless. This includes Ozzie. And Ozzie is to blame as the manager for not being able to motivate these guys and getting them to play their best.