Rush not in R&R HoF??

Texsox

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(easyw @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
Rush.

Never in history have 3 more talented musicians got together to make such awful music.

There is definately a place for them in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. In the basement.. .cleaning the toliets.

I don't know...there was Emerson Lake and Palmer, Crosby Stills and Nash, Bee Gees, and I am sure there are more.

Neil Peart alone makes Rush a great band. That guy is ridiculous. They'd get my vote if I had one. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but a few of their songs are gems.

Pink Floyd didn't get in until 1996 mind you and they were far and away beyond the magnitude of Rush in the rock and roll world--both in popularity and well, in terms of being good.

Rush rules. Its really is a travesty they aren't in the HoF. I really don't think they give a rat's ass though. As a long-time fan, I appreciate what they do for their fans. The last 3 tours, they played for 3 hours with no warm up band. I know there are people out there that don't appreciate their music , but as someone who does, its pretty sweet they play that long. I also appreciate the airtime they gave me as an audience member in Frankfurt on their R30 video. Some of their tunes are on youtube, and some of the complaints about them are really a joke. Someone actually said that because their music during concerts sounds almost exactly like it does on their albums that they lack creativity.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
Someone actually said that because their music during concerts sounds almost exactly like it does on their albums that they lack creativity.

That's a pretty inane statement. I mean, it's one thing to match studio solos note for note when you're playing live, but to nearly duplicate your studio track on the stage is really an accomplishment. A lot of otherwise good bands are really garbage out of the studio. Rush are great at that aspect of it.

Edited by ZoSo

Rush should be inducted and will soon, I'm sure.

I think the fact that they have been able to so effortlessly reinvent themselves on several occasions gets in the way of a huge throng of loyal long-time listeners who'd have gotten them in by now.

The band up through Caress of Steel and 2112 was a very different sounding band than the band from Farewwll to Kings through Signals. Geddy realized he would shred his vocal cords beyong recognition if he didn't bring it down a half-octave or so. They also fully realized that the new drummer they picked up after the first record was not only the most technically proficient drummer in rock, but was also a dang fine wordsmith.

It's weird, but I like Neil and Geddy most in that second era, but I liked Alex' guitar playing most on the first handful of albums. It had a melodic quality almost like Steve hacket from the eeearly Genesis days that faded on successive albums.

Grace Under Pressure through maybe Presto has a more stripped down sound that left a lot of early fans (including myself) not sure of their new direction. With Roll The Bones to now, still more change.

The U2 and REM sonic evolutions are the only ones by extant relevant groups that I think of as being on par with how much musical ground Rush has covered.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
I always thought of Rush as more mainstream, vanilla, rockers. Figuring everybody liked them and they didn't have enough coolness to be in. I'm surprised that people would hate their music.

i hate prog, mindless technical diddling with no soul or purpose. theres a few yes songs and a few bands had their moments, but i reaaly hate prog

I think it's more important to look at the criteria used for the R 'n R hall of Fame. it isn't if you or I like them...it's...well, I don't know what it is. Whether we like them or not (andI'm not a huge fan, but I like some of their stuff), they should definitely be in the Hall.

Unless you think of them as the DH of rock and roll...

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(shipps @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
The r&r hall is just a novelty nowadays.i wouldnt be surprised if Kid rock is in it.

True Fact: In a wacky career-move moment, FlaSoxxJim recently sent in an application for the position of Education Director for the R&R HoF. Sadly, I have not been contacted for an interview yet. :crying

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
I was just noticing that RUSH is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was a bit surprised. 30 years of some pretty damn good rock and roll.

What say you music mavens?

A simple explanation: Geddy Lee's voice has been known to induce vomiting.