Konerko, Buehrle might be done for 06

southsider2k5

Weary Buehrle may miss last start

Vows to come back in better shape in '07

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

September 25, 2006

CLEVELAND -- Mark Buehrle's disappointing 2006 season likely will end prematurely.

Eliminated from the postseason Monday, the White Sox may skip Buehrle's final start scheduled for Friday and move up each starter by one day because of Thursday's day off.

"I would [like to pitch] because I'd like to hopefully get a win and be 13-13," Buehrle said Monday. "But the way the season is going, I'm not sure if any good can come out of it.

"I'm not really disappointed. It's one of those reasons, if we're not in it, there's no reason to build those innings up."

Buehrle surpassed the 200-inning mark for the sixth consecutive season. However, that was his lone highlight as opponents batted .305 against him, including a career-high 36 home runs, and he had a career-worst 4.99 ERA in 32 starts.

Buehrle, 27, already has discussed making some slight changes this winter with pitching coach Don Cooper.

"Coop has talked about the older you get, the more you need to do with your body," Buehrle said. "I want to come in in better shape. I usually put on weight during a season and lose weight in the off-season."

Buehrle also may start throwing sooner than early January.

The Sox's rotation for the final five games could consist of Javier Vazquez on Tuesday and Brandon McCarthy on Wednesday at Cleveland, with Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Vazquez pitching in Minnesota.

"We are in no way, shape or form mailing in any games," Cooper said. "The best guys who we have available are going to start."

Cooper admitted those moves would cost rookie knuckleballer Charlie Haeger a chance to start, but Cooper said Haeger would get more chances to be evaluated in relief.

Haeger is projected as a starter, but Cooper believes it's better to evaluate him now in a relief role rather than wait until spring training in the thin Arizona air.

"Charlie Haeger is going to have a long career ahead of him," Cooper said. "I'm hoping that's with us, that's why we have to find out."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...eball/whitesox/

As far as the inconsistencies that haunted the Sox all season, Konerko didn't have an answer as much as guesses.

''If we knew, we'd fix it,'' he said. ''The seasons kind of ran together. A lot of guys were banged up -- not that it's an excuse because I know a lot of teams have guys that are banged up. I guess you can say we just ran out of steam.''

Konerko confessed that he has been playing with a bad back since May and now likely will shut it down for the last week.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox26.article

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
The only veterans who should play in this last week are the ones who are at the top of our "to be traded" list.

Agreed. We have absolutely nothing to play for. What's the point of playing anyone of importance to the White Sox future? Treat the final games as if they were NFL exhibition games.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
Agreed. We have absolutely nothing to play for. What's the point of playing anyone of importance to the White Sox future? Treat the final games as if they were NFL exhibition games.

Yeah, let them start their vacations early. s***, half of them started their vacations months ago.

I agree and yes I think Buehrle will come back strong next year and hopefully he gets a third pitch!

Maybe Buehrle can be the first to throw the gyroball, LOL!

BTW I was not going to watch any more Sox games this year but if they were to put in all the new guys/bench guys for the last few games, I'd watch! Just to see what we got going!

I think that would actually make me tune in...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
I agree and yes I think Buehrle will come back strong next year and hopefully he gets a third pitch!

Maybe Buehrle can be the first to throw the gyroball, LOL!

BTW I was not going to watch any more Sox games this year but if they were to put in all the new guys/bench guys for the last few games, I'd watch! Just to see what we got going!

I think that would actually make me tune in...

I can't help it, I have to watch til the bitter end.

They're still my guys, and they'll be gone til March, so I'll endure these terrible performances.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
I'd really like to know what his overall numbers are since that start. I think El Duque and his 59 years on earth has pitched better.

A TAIL OF TWO SEASONS

4/02/06 - 7/01/06: 16 GS | 111 2/3 | 9-4 W/L | 47:28 K:BB | 12 HR | 3.22 ERA | 1.25 WHIP

7/02/06 - 9/23/06: 16 GS | 92 1/3 | 3-9 W/L | 51:20 K:BB | 24 HR | 7.12 ERA | 1.68 WHIP

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
A TAIL OF TWO SEASONS

4/02/06 - 7/01/06: 16 GS | 111 2/3 | 9-4 W/L | 47:28 K:BB | 12 HR | 3.22 ERA | 1.25 WHIP

7/02/06 - 9/23/06: 16 GS | 92 1/3 | 3-9 W/L | 51:20 K:BB | 24 HR | 7.12 ERA | 1.68 WHIP

That tells me Buehrle was in the strike zone way too effin' much.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
A TAIL OF TWO SEASONS

I knew you would come through. God damn those are awful numbers.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Buehrle was done for '06 after the Cubs blow out.

That game still makes me mad. Has to be one of the most spectacularly crap-tastic performances in recent memory. And Ozzie left him out there to twist in the wind .......... Game was still winnable.

From reading the comments in the paper the last few days, it seems we have two guys at 30 and near 30 who have finally realized they are not kids anymore and realize they need to work out appropriately.

Hopefully they've learned their respective lessons and will come back strong next year.