The Office

Kyyle23

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Finally watched the new episode last night. I liked it well enough. Michael was less abrasive, and the twist with his party failing was kind of nice. But he still doesn't do much of anything to make you think he is a decent guy at all. If anything the show makes you feel like you yourself are a better person because you can find sympathy for such a prick.

I think you are misunderstanding Michaels character completely. He is supposed to be abrasive, insensitive, dumb, and completely unaware of his offensive nature. He has been that way since show #1. The hilarious part of his character is that he somehow holds on to his job despite how completely inept he is. The more abrasive and clueless Michael is, the funnier the show is (usually). The decent guy on the show is Jim, the wierd guy is Dwight(although most of the background characters are equally as wierd, they just arent as prominent), Ryan is the intern/whipping boy, etc...

I think if you spent less time trying to view Michael as a decent guy you would find the show much more funny. The background characters in the show are coming out this season with their own identities, the drunk lady, the gay guy(Oscar), Ryans crazy girlfriend, the kleptomaniac, etc.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a box of rocks, ya know? I've seen every episode. I think the UK version did a much better job with David than the US does with Michael. They are both idiots and insensitive, but you could actually like the UK version despite all his idiocy. The US Michael is just a dick. Nothing to like about him at all. In the last episode when Jim starts praising Michael and says he wasn't the reason that Jim left, and that he was a great boss, that whole part was really weird. We all see Michael is a terrible boss, and we all have been believing that the only person in that office that likes Michael is Dwight.

I know the story, plot and all that junk, I just think Carrel does a really bad job with the character. In a show that is asking you to play along with it's "reality" so much, the main part about of it is so unrealistic it hurts the show, for me atleast.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
I'm not a box of rocks, ya know? I've seen every episode. I think the UK version did a much better job with David than the US does with Michael. They are both idiots and insensitive, but you could actually like the UK version despite all his idiocy. The US Michael is just a dick. Nothing to like about him at all. In the last episode when Jim starts praising Michael and says he wasn't the reason that Jim left, and that he was a great boss, that whole part was really weird. We all see Michael is a terrible boss, and we all have been believing that the only person in that office that likes Michael is Dwight.

I know the story, plot and all that junk, I just think Carrel does a really bad job with the character. In a show that is asking you to play along with it's "reality" so much, the main part about of it is so unrealistic it hurts the show, for me atleast.

I had a feeling you might get a little offended at that. Sorry about that. I think its just the different approach that Gervais and Carrell take on the boss character. Honestly, I dont really think Michael is as abrasive as he is clueless. The season premiere he was incredibly abrasive, but I kind of felt that was a little much for Michael(although I felt the witch hunt episode was hilarious). I really like how Carrell looks at the camera, his goofy grin-stare when he thinks he said something smart makes me laugh every time.

No problem. I was pretty sure ya weren't being a dick, but I had to make sure in my own way. :P

I like Carrell normally, and I think he is a great actor. I just don't agree with the way Michael is done, as there is no way a guy like that is the head of anything. He's too stupid and too insensitive. If the show didn't go for the "Reality Show" angle, I might be able to accept him more.

Now don't get me wrong, this, Earl and House are the only shows I watch on TV. It will probably remain that way until Lithgow's new show starts, then there will be 4 shows. But I do love The Office. I wish that at this convention that they were at last week that they had done a cameo with David.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
I thought it already started. I'm kinda diggin Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - but I love a lot of shows about media.

Im looking forward to 30 Rock, and I wanted to see Studio 60 but I forgot to set a reminder.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Scott:

"it feels like somebody took my heart and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears and at the same time somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer. And then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone, and I am crying, and nobody can hear me because I am terribly, terribly… terribly alone."

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
The British version is indeed quality!

I think Jim will end up hooking up with the Stamford chick, and Pam and Roy will get back together. They are doing a really good job of making Roy extremely likable this season.

I havent even noticed Roy this season.

I missed the first 2 shows this season so I have no clue what happened with Pam, Roy, and Jim. Obviously Jim got transferred, but if someone would be so kind, can I get a quick recap - or a link to one?

I also missed the last few minutes Thursday night. The funeral thing was irritating to me.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
I missed the first 2 shows this season so I have no clue what happened with Pam, Roy, and Jim. Obviously Jim got transferred, but if someone would be so kind, can I get a quick recap - or a link to one?

I also missed the last few minutes Thursday night. The funeral thing was irritating to me.

Jim transferred to Stamford.

At the last minute Pam got cold feet and called off the wedding. Roy went on a bender (took it poorly) and hit rock bottom when he got a DUI. Roy is trying to "win Pam back" and he realized he took her for granted, but wants to get back on track with Pam.

Meanwhile, Pam started dating again (with notice from Toby from HR, who almost asked her out). Jim also knows that Pam is single (and dating).

I can't say you missed much by not seeing the first two epis.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
Jim transferred to Stamford.

At the last minute Pam got cold feet and called off the wedding. Roy went on a bender (took it poorly) and hit rock bottom when he got a DUI. Roy is trying to "win Pam back" and he realized he took her for granted, but wants to get back on track with Pam.

Meanwhile, Pam started dating again (with notice from Toby from HR, who almost asked her out). Jim also knows that Pam is single (and dating).

I can't say you missed much by not seeing the first two epis.

Whew.. NBC really built it up for nothing then. Tankya!