Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Why would you guys be rooting for NIU??

Oh, and weren't there SIU fans on this board questioning whether Chris Lowery had lost his team only a month or two ago?

Rooting for Northern Iowa to knock of Creighton tonight.

The only thing I questioned about Lowery was how unprepared we look against a zone all the time.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have the title wrapped up. You don't want Creighton losing tonight. Think bigger picture for the conference at this point.

I can understand the reservations about playing against a zone defense. In Bobby Knight's final years, IU had the same problem. They were as good as any team in the country playing against a man-to-man D. In 1999, IU beat the living hell out of George Washington in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Orlando. They were pounding a good St. John's team pretty good in the first 10 minutes until they switched to a zone. They never left the zone and went on to beat IU by 25. IU looked like two totally different teams.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still loooooove Dudley.

Andy Katz talking about how there shouldn't even be a question about whose ACC player of the year, and that the better question is: Is Dudley the player of the year?

I'm biased, but in the college ranks right now, I might take Dudley over Durant.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
Andy Katz talking about how there shouldn't even be a question about whose ACC player of the year, and that the better question is: Is Dudley the player of the year?

I'm biased, but in the college ranks right now, I might take Dudley over Durant.

Keep winning BC, your making Kansas look even better.

I think Dowdell is the best in the ACC.

p.s. kill Duke tonight...i f'in hate Puke

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep winning BC, your making Kansas look even better.

I think Dowdell is the best in the ACC.

p.s. kill Duke tonight...i f'in hate Puke

Helping a brother out :P

In all seriousness though, how can you say that Dowdell is better than Dudley? What is that Dowdell does that is better than Dudley? Statistically Dudley averages more points, more rebounds, more assists.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Helping a brother out :P

In all seriousness though, how can you say that Dowdell is better than Dudley? What is that Dowdell does that is better than Dudley? Statistically Dudley averages more points, more rebounds, more assists.

Cause that what Billy Packer said last night...and he knows everything. haha....jk BRO, Dudley is the bomb diggity

Watch Mcroberts win it...gag!!!

Stan Love paid Bloomington Jefferson's Cole Aldrich a serious compliment last month during the Timberwolves Gatorade Shootout at Target Center. Love, a former NBA player and the father of the nation's top-ranked prep player, Kevin Love of Lake Oswego (Ore.) High School, said Aldrich played the best defense on Greg Oden he has seen.

"Cole would jam him above the free-throw line and keep him from dominating,'' Stan Love said of the job the 6-foot-11, 240-pound Aldrich did on Oden, now a freshman star at Ohio State and the potential top pick in the 2007 NBA draft.

Although that matchup occurred in an elite ABC Reebok Camp in New Jersey last year, Aldrich's defensive prowess is just as dominant in Minnesota. The University of Kansas recruit, a force in the low post and beyond, was selected the Pioneer Press defensive player of the year for an unprecedented third consecutive year.

...With the help of his 7-foot-5 wingspan, Aldrich has averaged almost four blocks a game over his four-year prep career.

"Playing strong defense, blocking shots and stopping possessions is a big part of who I am,'' Aldrich said.

Even if Aldrich isn't able to block a shot, his wingspan and athleticism often force opponents to alter shots. He has developed an ability to block the ball and take possession rather than swatting the ball into the stands. Knocking the ball out of bounds might draw raves, but it also allows the opponent to maintain possession of the ball.

"Blocking shots is like a lost art,'' Aldrich said. "As I've gotten older, I've gotten smarter. I used to commit a lot of fouls earlier in my career, but now I'd like to think that I stay out of (foul) trouble because I am wiser.''

In his one meeting against Oden, Aldrich figured he had nothing to lose.

"He was the stud of the camp; he was the top dog picking on all of those other players,'' Aldrich said.

"If he beats me, he is still the top guy. If I take his (rear) out, I've got everything to gain. I met him at the top of the three-point line and made him work hard to wear him out. I figured he might get 20 (points) on me, but he will earn it. He'd have to bust his (butt) to get it. I maybe gave up one or two dunks to him. I take that as a victory. He is a big, powerful kid.''

Aldrich, Bloomington Jefferson's all-time leading scorer, also is dominant on offense. He averages 22.5 points and 17 rebounds a game.

"Cole can change a game with his physical presence and athleticism,'' Jefferson coach Jeff Evens said. "Easy baskets out of half-court offense are not easy for our opponents because of his presence in the post. He has good timing for contesting shots.''

St Paul Pioneer Press

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
I'd hardly consider that an upset, it was at Tennessee, Tenn was actually favored by 2.5 and you get 3 points for being at home. So basically, it was a wash and it was not an upset.

Becoming quite the fan of UK here over the past 2 seasons, and fresh off my first game at Rupp this weekend... that loss last night was kinda rough to grasp with all the turnovers, especially because they took a 1 point lead, coming from 16 back. Bobby Perry is a joke. I'm finding out what it is like to be a Kentucky fan all too quickly here.....Tubby needs to right that ship ASAP. The team has the talent.

Luckily I can re-coup on the pair of Wildcat losses by a nice 40 point Buff azz pounding by the Jayhawks tonight.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
This post is some what mind boggling.

Do you have any reason to say this beyond your pure homerism?

Wisconsin has had 70+ points scored on them: 3 times

Kansas has had 70+ scored on them: 5 times, including 2 times in the last 2 games.

The only good defensive teams you have played this season have beat you, yet you think you are going to beat arguably the best defensive team in the big 10?

Im sorry but if Kansas had the ability to beat Wisconsin they would have beaten AM or Tech.

Does Kansas outside of the Florida win even have a victory against a top 25 opponent outside of the Big 12?

Its one thing for you guys to come here and knock Illinois, but come on if KU is in the Big 10 you are fighting for 3-4 spot with indiana. You are no where near OSU or Wisconsin in terms of winning.

You may have more McD's etc, but that does not mean that when you show up that they are just going to give you the victory.

Its clear that you guys have not watched Wisconsin play, and are still relying on the old "Dick Bennet" style.

I think there is a reason most of the national media is saying that Wisconsin is one of the top 4 teams, where as they are not saying it about KU.

Can you please make a point or argument that makes any kind of sense?? You sound like a Badger fan that hasnt seen an elite team in over a decade. Wait nevermind.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Wait was that a serious comment watchtower?

Havent seen an "Elite" team?

When is the last time that Kansas has gotten farther than my non-elite Wisconsin?

Is Wisconsin even one of the top schools in the Big Ten?

Edited by RockRaines

Still waiting on your squakhawk friend to tell me how Sherron Collins is better than any pg in the Big 10, when he wouldnt even be the best freshman.

Oh wait I forgot, its because Jaysquawks only beat themselves.

No Rock Wisconsin is the worst team in the Big 10.

Its Football team is the worst, and its basketball team is second worst (behind Northwestern)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Still waiting on your squakhawk friend to tell me how Sherron Collins is better than any pg in the Big 10, when he wouldnt even be the best freshman.

Oh wait I forgot, its because Jaysquawks only beat themselves.

No Rock Wisconsin is the worst team in the Big 10.

Its Football team is the worst, and its basketball team is second worst (behind Northwestern)

I was talking academically dude. I would rank it 3rd behind NW and Mich and slightly above U of I.

Edit: Looks like you took that part out of your post.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Wait was that a serious comment watchtower?

Havent seen an "Elite" team?

When is the last time that Kansas has gotten farther than my non-elite Wisconsin?

2003, national finals

Name me a better point guard in the big 2 +9 this year??? im waiting bucky boy

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
Wisconsin is the worst team in the Big 10.

i think this is a breakthrough moment. we're making progress now.

;)

Here are some interesting stats:

Lets see which is the better team:

Team A:

RPI: 4

SOS: 41

Top 50: 7-2

50-100: 4-0

100+: 13-0

Non-Conference:

14-1

RPI: 4

SOS: 14

Team B:

RPI- 17

SOS: 46

1-50: 3-2

50-100: 7-2

100+: 11-0

Non-conference:

13-2

RPI: 29

SOS: 88

Is there any comparison even?

I already did hold on let me go get my post again that you and watchtower conviently skipped

Oh and on this:

point guard in the big 10 like Sherron.

GP MIN PTS REB AST

Player A: 25 20.9 9.6 2.2 2.8

Player B:25 30.1 10.4 3.0 6.3

Assists TO Steals:

Player A: 70 38 14

Player B: 157 52 58

One has played the Badgers, one has not.

They are both freshman also, didnt want you crying about how Collins didnt have enough experience.

I know that your a Jayhawk so reading must be hard.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
I know that your a Jayhawk so reading must be hard.

Yeah god, I forgot how to read....dammit

Collins is just seeing big time minutes in the last 5 games...i cannot use stats with him yet.

I mean this is Wisconsin bball, what the hell have you ever accomplished??

Though I still love your team, and expect to see them in the final 4.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker