Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

Looks like some of these pitchers are beginning to get close to deals, which is good. Padilla has reportedly reached a $34 million deal with the Rangers, and Lilly looks like he will be signed in the next few days. That should begin to clear up the market for our starters a little bit.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Looks like some of these pitchers are beginning to get close to deals, which is good. Padilla has reportedly reached a $34 million deal with the Rangers, and Lilly looks like he will be signed in the next few days. That should begin to clear up the market for our starters a little bit.

ugghh, padilla.....i wonder who lilly signs with...

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
Ive spent most of my time in the Squared Circle thread and the College Football/NFL thread.. too slow around Pale Hose Right now, till we make some moves at least

but you know me all too well :wub: :canada

Plus you never get on AIM anymore :(

Well my laptop has been busted for about 2 months now so I have very limited internet access, I'm hoping to have the situation resolved by Christmas so I should be on quite a bit over break.

From the MLB.COM site...

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Of the 30 Major League clubs, roughly 29 are looking for more pitching. As the baseball balance of trade goes, there is a definite trade imbalance

The position we have in these meetings is phenominal!

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
From the MLB.COM site...

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Of the 30 Major League clubs, roughly 29 are looking for more pitching. As the baseball balance of trade goes, there is a definite trade imbalance

You would think so. I'll believe it when I see it.

From the MLB.COM site...

Now let's utilize that and get another impact player.

From the MLB.COM site...

Like kids in the candy store! And also to the interest in Damian Miller, I'd welcome the acquisition. But I swear if we have Grandpa Alomar as our backup to start the season ... oh well he'll be in black and white any which way come the end of July ... :crying :P

Edited by TheOcho

Miller's 2007 Salary

MILWAUKEE -- Milwaukee Brewers catcher Damian Miller

exercised his $2.25 million option for 2007 on Thursday.

Miller batted .251 with six home runs and 38 RBIs this year. In

addition to his base salary, he can earn an additional $750,000 in

performance bonuses.

Milwaukee had passed on a $3.75 million club option.

I here he is good with a pitching staff

In the perfect world, KW has drugged up Theo Epstein, Friedman, and Cashman.... White Sox pick up: Manny in Left for a Chicago Style Hotfdog and passes to the Sears tower, Crawford in Right for Javy, and A-Rod for SS for Prospect Sean Tracy.

A-Rod, Manny, and Crawford have all requested to be paid in Frank Thomas Sox Dollars to spend in the park.

Sorry, back to reality.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
In the perfect world, KW has drugged up Theo Epstein, Friedman, and Cashman.... White Sox pick up: Manny in Left for a Chicago Style Hotfdog and passes to the Sears tower, Crawford in Right for Javy, and A-Rod for SS for Prospect Sean Tracy.

A-Rod, Manny, and Crawford have all requested to be paid in Frank Thomas Sox Dollars to spend in the park.

Sorry, back to reality.

I'm pretty sure Levine just reported the same thing.

Let me make a run-down of the leadoff options so far this offseason:

1. The incumbant Podsednik. He sucks, why did we resign him, waste of money, resembles a young Peter Pan, etc.

2. Crawford. (or Baldelli) Oh we can't trade away pitchers, we certainly can't sign or trade for any in the future, boo BOO this player who is hardly better than Podsednik. I guess I'd trade Heath Philips and Boone Logan for him... well, maybe not Philips.

3. Figgins. Oh, he's exactly like Pods except he could possibly play better OF, he totally sucked last year and he's going to start making more money (which we certainly don't have), but we can't trade Crede anyway cuz he's the best EVAR or any player from our roster for that matter, each one will bounce back and have crazy awesome years or get even better than last year, whichever option is more optimistic.

4. Pierre, Roberts, Lugo, etc. We're poor! POOR, I say! Bah-humbug!

5. Rollins. Ahh, look at that piss-poor OBP. Gosh, I hate good ss's who hit homers and steal bases while maintaining decent averages. Why oh why can't every single player on the Sox have great averages, OBP, and OPS while being lightning quick and having a thunder bat? Jeez, I don't think that's tooo much to expect.

6. Random high OBP guy/platoon. Speed, we have to have SPEED. Any and all worthwhile lead-off hitters have the burn, duh. I will conveniently cover the OBP% with my finger on stat pages for most leadoff hitters yet demand that they have AT LEAST a .400 OBP.

7. Ryan Freel. What a piece of garbage, character issues, can't hit lefties, can't play every day. If there was a poo-poo button I would press it... now.

8. Raphael Furcal. OK, all sarcasm aside, this is actually someone that people are, for the most part, in agreement about. The problem is he is in no way available. Now back to the sarcasm... We can't give up Dye!! He's a lock to win MVP next year, no doubt .330/.433/1.274!!!! AND he'll totally resign here for 3 years/ $24 mil because of his great character and all. I'm pretty sure he rescues small dogs, kittens, and other assorted adorable animals on offdays.

9. Ichiro. Ok, general agreement here too, but so very unlikely. Seems like the only way everyone's gonna be happy is if we trade fringe prospects for Ichiro.

For all the people who flew off the handle when we signed Pods, what exactly would you prefer?? Something's gotta give, ppl. Quit your sissynannying and realize Kenny's not gonna be able to pull a quality leadoff hitter out of his ass in this market. We're either going into the season with Pods, or KW is gonna have to give up something(s) REAL good.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Let me make a run-down of the leadoff options so far this offseason:

1. The incumbant Podsednik. He sucks, why did we resign him, waste of money, resembles a young Peter Pan, etc.

2. Crawford. (or Baldelli) Oh we can't trade away pitchers, we certainly can't sign or trade for any in the future, boo BOO this player who is hardly better than Podsednik. I guess I'd trade Heath Philips and Boone Logan for him... well, maybe not Philips.

3. Figgins. Oh, he's exactly like Pods except he could possibly play better OF, he totally sucked last year and he's going to start making more money (which we certainly don't have), but we can't trade Crede anyway cuz he's the best EVAR or any player from our roster for that matter, each one will bounce back and have crazy awesome years or get even better than last year, whichever option is more optimistic.

4. Pierre, Roberts, Lugo, etc. We're poor! POOR, I say! Bah-humbug!

5. Rollins. Ahh, look at that piss-poor OBP. Gosh, I hate good ss's who hit homers and steal bases while maintaining decent averages. Why oh why can't every single player on the Sox have great averages, OBP, and OPS while being lightning quick and having a thunder bat? Jeez, I don't think that's tooo much to expect.

6. Random high OBP guy/platoon. Speed, we have to have SPEED. Any and all worthwhile lead-off hitters have the burn, duh. I will conveniently cover the OBP% with my finger on stat pages for most leadoff hitters yet demand that they have AT LEAST a .400 OBP.

7. Ryan Freel. What a piece of garbage, character issues, can't hit lefties, can't play every day. If there was a poo-poo button I would press it... now.

8. Raphael Furcal. OK, all sarcasm aside, this is actually someone that people are, for the most part, in agreement about. The problem is he is in no way available. Now back to the sarcasm... We can't give up Dye!! He's a lock to win MVP next year, no doubt .330/.433/1.274!!!! AND he'll totally resign here for 3 years/ $24 mil because of his great character and all. I'm pretty sure he rescues small dogs, kittens, and other assorted adorable animals on offdays.

9. Ichiro. Ok, general agreement here too, but so very unlikely. Seems like the only way everyone's gonna be happy is if we trade fringe prospects for Ichiro.

For all the people who flew off the handle when we signed Pods, what exactly would you prefer?? Something's gotta give, ppl. Quit your sissynannying and realize Kenny's not gonna be able to pull a quality leadoff hitter out of his ass in this market. We're either going into the season with Pods, or KW is gonna have to give up something(s) REAL good.

The Tank has spoken! Good post.

The shortage of pitching is no real surprise, since it seems that teams are always looking for more pitching depth, but what really is surprising me are the contracts being offered so freely to bad players.

Just look at Adam Eaton, how many starts did he have last year? 13? and he has been injured frequently thruout his career...and Philly gives him a 3 year deal worth 24 mill? just insane :chair ...this is why K DUB will wait and get the best, most desperate offer, because guys like Eaton are getting huge inflated contracts

Kenny should be whipping some ass this offseason with the bargaining chips he has :whip

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
The shortage of pitching is no real surprise, since it seems that teams are always looking for more pitching depth, but what really is surprising me are the contracts being offered so freely to bad players.

Just look at Adam Eaton, how many starts did he have last year? 13? and he has been injured frequently thruout his career...and Philly gives him a 3 year deal worth 24 mill? just insane :chair ...this is why K DUB will wait and get the best, most desperate offer, because guys like Eaton are getting huge inflated contracts

Kenny should be whipping some ass this offseason with the bargaining chips he has :whip

if you look at it that way, yea. if someone is desperate enough to give eaton that much then they will defiantley overpay for one of our starters who are way better than him. i think i read somewhere where eaton has only had 1 season in which he has thrown more than 140 innings or that that was his career high, something like that.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)

yes, not to mention some Wolf gentleman is being paid 8 millions of dollars to try to pitch

I don't know if this has already been posted, my apologies if it has.

It's a Scott Merkin article about a rumored Mark for Milledge deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_mlb

One of the newest rumors making its way around the Swan and Dolphin Resort on Monday involved the movement of White Sox southpaw Mark Buehrle via trade to the Mets in return for outfielder Lastings Milledge.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't know if this has already been posted, my apologies if it has.

It's a Scott Merkin article about a rumored Mark for Milledge deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_mlb

One of the newest rumors making its way around the Swan and Dolphin Resort on Monday involved the movement of White Sox southpaw Mark Buehrle via trade to the Mets in return for outfielder Lastings Milledge.

Yeah talk about not equal value. If we trade our Ace to another team, you better believe it will be for much more than Milledge.