Cliff Floyd, born a south sider?

WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
just curious. Does anyone know if Cliff grew up a Sox fan or a cub fan or both ?

It looks like he's going to the cubs. If he does and he grew up a Sox fan, I'm pretty sure that the cubune won't mention that fact.

Don't fret, if the White Sox are in the WS, I'm sure he will be in a suite sporting a White Sox hat. I'm pretty sure he grew up a Sox fan, but has no desire to play for the Sox. IIRC, the White Sox were a team on his no-trade list.

Edited by Dick Allen

Woohoo TWood! You would think that I would know something like that having gone to the same high school as him, but I never met him (he was a couple grades above me).

Just one of those guys I keep track of a bit. I would hate to see him go to the Cubs. I don't think I could cheer for him then.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why hasn't there been that much interest in Floyd this offseason? His knees are obviously very problematic, but you'd think some American League team, ala the Mariners who traded for Vidro, would take a flier on him as there designated hitter.

I totally agree. If we didn't have Thome, I would love a platoon of Floyd and a righty at DH and he could play an occasional outfield. He's really and AL player but I also haven't seen any confirmation on this rumor yet.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Don't fret, if the White Sox are in the WS, I'm sure he will be in a suite sporting a White Sox hat. I'm pretty sure he grew up a Sox fan, but has no desire to play for the Sox. IIRC, the White Sox were a team on his no-trade list.

This is not a bad thing. I think I could handle Floyd taking up valuable DL time on another team.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Why hasn't there been that much interest in Floyd this offseason? His knees are obviously very problematic, but you'd think some American League team, ala the Mariners who traded for Vidro, would take a flier on him as there designated hitter.

Not only his knees, but he tore his achilles lat year, and even though he is a "name" guy, he really underproduces for someone who is supposed to be a power bat.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
It's going to be fun watching Floyd play the outfield at Wrigley.

The guy just doesnt hit as well as people think he does. .324 OBP and .407 SLG for a corner OF'er who is supposed to hit for power? Maybe it was a down year for him, but i see the very clear signs of decline.

He wasn't a huge sports fan growing up. Actually other than baseball and a little basketball didn't play sports. He is a really great guy but not the toughest person in the world. His performance in the high school state baseball tournament in 1991 was legendary. If memory serves correctly he made only one out in the entire tournament. He either walked or got a hit in all the others ABs.

I was a trainer for T-wood and he was a patient of mine after he fx his wrist in a collision at first base with Todd Hundley while playing for the Expos.