2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in a different thread, but I'll post it here as well...

Adam Melhuse was traded today by the A's to Texas (Chris Stewart getting sent down I guess) and Kurt Suzuki was called up. I know some people wanted him instead of Lucy.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
I posted this in a different thread, but I'll post it here as well...

Adam Melhuse was traded today by the A's to Texas (Chris Stewart getting sent down I guess) and Kurt Suzuki was called up. I know some people wanted him instead of Lucy.

Suzuki's not ready, but it's hard to be worse than Kendall's .197/.242/.207... If Suzuki comes up to be a backup, that's a big mistake for Oakland. If he's up, he's got to be splitting time 50/50. The bar isn't very high to eclipse Kendall's production.

I think with the blown saves of Cordero, Saito, and Wagner this week that Jenks has the longest consecutive save streak in the game right now. But don't quote me on that. And James Shields is 6-0 with a 3.03 for TAMPA FREAKING BAY with 83 k's, 18 walks, a batting average against of just above .200, and a WHIP just below 1. Where the hell did this 16th round pick come from?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
McCarthy looks really good so far tonight.

I hope you don't want him over Danks now. That is the direction your posts are going.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 03:31 AM)
I hope you don't want him over Danks now. That is the direction your posts are going.

I think both of them are going to be very solid pitchers in the majors. And no, I'm not saying I'd rather have him. If anything, I still am disappointed that we never gave him the chance to start from the get go last year, that's all. However, that ship has sailed, and with it, went Chris Young. :P

Kevin Mench has 1 walk in 131 AB's, to contribute to ISOD.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I think both of them are going to be very solid pitchers in the majors. And no, I'm not saying I'd rather have him. If anything, I still am disappointed that we never gave him the chance to start from the get go last year, that's all. However, that ship has sailed, and with it, went Chris Young. :P

McCarthy does not have the stuff to be a 2 or 3, and Danks does. That is why I like our spot more than anything else. And Chris Young and not trading Crede will haunt KW in his sleep when his job is terminted.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 03:34 AM)
McCarthy does not have the stuff to be a 2 or 3, and Danks does. That is why I like our spot more than anything else. And Chris Young and not trading Crede will haunt KW in his sleep when his job is terminted.

There's no way anyone can know that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
McCarthy does not have the stuff to be a 2 or 3, and Danks does.

I don't think that's true at all. At the risk of sounding like I'm making stuff up, one of the scouts who assessed the trade for (I think) ESPN said that McCarthy had the better stuff and the higher ceiling -- if they both pitched to their potential McCarthy could be a #2 and Danks a #3 or #4 (for those that want to use that vague ranking system). I think the implication was that Danks had a better feel for pitching, but lacked overpowering pitches. That seems validated by his current performance. His fastball sits at 90 but he's pitched OK for a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy ends up being the better pitcher, but unless Danks falls apart the difference in service time should help make the trade a wash.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
National League Central continues to show how bad it is....besides whoever plays the Sox, of course.

I told my buddy to bet the Nats -1.5 for +400. He didn't listen.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if it hurts Bonds' feelings when Aaron says things like, "I don't even know how to spell his last name," then laughs.

If it does, it wouldn't hurt for long because of how little recovery times are for Bonds due to all the steroids he has taken.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
I don't think that's true at all. At the risk of sounding like I'm making stuff up, one of the scouts who assessed the trade for (I think) ESPN said that McCarthy had the better stuff and the higher ceiling -- if they both pitched to their potential McCarthy could be a #2 and Danks a #3 or #4 (for those that want to use that vague ranking system). I think the implication was that Danks had a better feel for pitching, but lacked overpowering pitches. That seems validated by his current performance. His fastball sits at 90 but he's pitched OK for a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy ends up being the better pitcher, but unless Danks falls apart the difference in service time should help make the trade a wash.

He's pitched better than OK for a rookie.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
LOL, what did he say?

At first he warned both teams after Lilly hit Renteria, than for no reason, turned around and tossed him a minute later. Lou kept asking why he tossed him and the ump was like, "He threw at him. I know he did." Just way off base.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
At first he warned both teams after Lilly hit Renteria, than for no reason, turned around and tossed him a minute later. Lou kept asking why he tossed him and the ump was like, "He threw at him. I know he did." Just way off base.

Yeah, it was ridiculous. At first he just warned both teams, then after Renteria was walking up the baseline he turned around and threw Lily out. It was really poor umpiring

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 06:16 AM)
Yeah, it was ridiculous. At first he just warned both teams, then after Renteria was walking up the baseline he turned around and threw Lily out. It was really poor umpiring

Given that there's been a bean-ball fest in that series though, I really can't say I blame him. If I were him, I would have passed along a message when the managers came out to hand out their lineup cards.